View topic - Winter Campout

It is currently November 17th, 2019, 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: November 1st, 2002, 1:44 pm 

Does anybody have any thoughts on whether I should consider using a Comet CD for this trip or any winter camping for that matter?

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 1st, 2002, 3:13 pm 

Debbie:

I've been winter camping/mushing/skiing in the Quetico/Boundary Waters west of Thunder Bay for many years.
Here are a few things you might consider:

1. A three-season tent will work fine, but I would consider using a large nylon tarp instead. They don't frost-up like tents do (from your breath), and can be set up in a wide range of configurations and banked with snow to protect you from wind and snowfall.

2. For sleeping, you will need a ground sheet of some sort (nylon or woven poly works fine)
and either two half-inch foam pads or a therma-rest (keep away from ANY sparks from your fire!!) to insulate you from the ground.
A mummy bag rated to at LEAST -30 C will be needed, but a summer bag stuffed into a 3-season bag works fine, too, as long as they fit loosely into each other and don't compress the insulation.

3. Eat large, calorie-rich meals, because
you want to keep your body well-stoked for working/sleeping out in the cold. Cutting firewood, setting up camp, skiing/snowshoeing,
and just keeping warm burn up a lot of calories.

4. You might want to try your first winter camping trip in March, as the weather is generally warmer, the days longer, and the snow conditions are often optimal for easy travelling on the lakes.

5. And, like TripperTed said, first try out your camping/sleeping system in your backyard, then find a group of folks to go with when you head into the bush. Those long winter nights make for some great socializing around the fire.
Have Fun!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 1st, 2002, 5:00 pm 

maddogbob: I've used a Comet CD in winter, although I just used the fly + footprint. I would expect using the fly + tent would be fine as well, even better. The CD is a relatively high profile tent, so setting up in a sheltered area would be a good idea. I've never had a problem with wind though. The one thing is that the tent doors are mostly mesh so a howling wind can blow under the fly and through the door mesh. Building a snow wall up to the lower edge of the fly helps with that problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 1st, 2002, 6:38 pm 

What about putting a tarp over the whole tent, does this sound crazy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 1st, 2002, 6:45 pm 

Where exactly is this winter camping event taking place? I am seriously thinking about joining you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 1st, 2002, 6:59 pm 

They are planning on taking the train out of Sudbury, 800km from Thunder Bay, as you probably know this can be a brutal drive depending on conditions (ie: snowstorm)

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 1st, 2002, 7:11 pm 

Debbie If you can make it down here you are more than welcome . Looks like there is 2 other ladies comming as well . There will be a place for you to crash before and after the trip .

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 1st, 2002, 7:27 pm 

The three nights sounds just great to me and the Budd train is the only way to go. As far as the date, I 'm quite flexible. My only problem is that I can't wait to go winter camping with the group so I guess that I'll have to wish a few months away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 1st, 2002, 9:35 pm 

Thanks Scouter Joe..I am getting excited. I think I can figure out what I have to bring, just like going on a hike except for the clothing. SO do you set up a base camp and just enjoy the outdoors from the camp? You don't move from one camp site to another do you? I would fly to Sudbury not drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 1st, 2002, 9:37 pm 

Quote:
On 2002-11-01 18:45, Debbie wrote:
Where exactly is this winter camping event taking place? I am seriously thinking about joining you!

A little north of Sudbury (an hour or so) by train. Actually, if you could twist someone's arm into a couple hours of driving to take you north up 527 to Armstrong, you could hop on the train, toss the gear in the baggage car, have a snooze and wake up in Sudbury.

You can be certain that the Sudbury gang would be more than happy to do a pickup at the train station and get you to someone's house prior to and/or after the trip if you needed accommodations. One thing there's no shortage of in these parts, and that's northern hospitality!

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 1st, 2002, 9:43 pm 

Thanks for the idea of driving to Armstrong and then taking the train, but my guy here said he would rather see me fly to Sudbury,just have to check out the fares.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 1st, 2002, 10:41 pm 

If my cadiologist gives me the big OK, I'd like to join the gang. Depends somewhat on the distance from train drop-off to the camp site.

I promised the world that I could build a quinzhee withOUT getting wet and there is some brandy riding on the outcome.

Besides I also want Dave H.'s help with my new hot tent - if I can actually get it put together before the end of February.

If anyone else from the Ottawa area is thinking of going, drop me a line and perhaps we could share transportation. If not I'll try Richard's idea of taking the train as he suggested to Debbie.

Any more room on someone's floor in Sudbury?

cheers, Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 1st, 2002, 11:02 pm 

Like the idea and really want to go, but . .
did anyone realize that this outing is planned for the same weekend as the Outdoor Adventure Show?
Is the date cast in stone?
Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 2nd, 2002, 5:05 pm 

Being new to the snowshoe thing, I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on the type of snowshoe I should buy for a northern camping trip?

I've done some research and have found that there are as many differnt types and prices of snowshoes as there are canoes. This has left me a bit confused as to what snowshoe I should purchase.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks, Dave

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tripper on 2002-11-02 17:07 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 2nd, 2002, 6:34 pm 

Quote:
On 2002-11-02 17:05, Tripper wrote:
Being new to the snowshoe thing, I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on the type of snowshoe I should buy for a northern camping trip?

There's a wide range of shoes, as you've already found. I haven't used them so I can't comment on the new high-tech shoes, although they look light and easy to walk in. I still clomp around in the old-fashioned wood/rawhide shoes. They're inexpensive, they've lasted me for years and years with an occasional coat of spar varnish, and they're big enough to hold me up in soft snow.

I know the new aluminimum/neoprene shoes come in a variety of sizes, but most of them look pretty tiny compared to my wood snowshoes, and I'm afraid that if I tried to trek through soft, deep snow that I'd sink up to my butt.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next