View topic - Winter Budd's Gathering

It is currently October 20th, 2019, 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: October 11th, 2002, 11:12 am 

Well, I have to start the topic.

I tried searching the "Budd Car" information that had been talked about during the last gathering and was hoping someone could point me in the correct direction as to how to get more information on the "Budd Car" and a possible winter trip.

I know Smokey, had the idea of doing a "hot tenting" and winter gathering where the train would drop off the folks somewhere(!??) then pick them up on an alternate date.

Anyone able to assist?

AS you may have guessed , I haven't been on the Budd and wouldn't know where to begin.

TIA

Georgi

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 11th, 2002, 11:24 am 

You can find info about the Budd Car here on the Via Rail web site.

The train leaves Sudbury three times a week and goes up to White River. It makes the return trip three times (obviously) from White River back to Sudbury. Trips from Sudbury leave on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Train comes back here on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. No service on Mondays.

The train leaves downtown Sudbury at 9:40 am. You can also catch it north of town in Cartier a little later. The most common dropoff spots for the Spanish River are a couple of hours up the tracks, and the train gets to White River at 6:00 pm.

You won't have any luck searching Via Rail's site for 'Bud Car' because that's not really the name of the train. It's actually called the 'Lake Superior,' or the 'Sudbury to White River' train, although nobody calls it that. The term Budd Car refers to the fact that these trains are 1950's vintage self-propelled units manufactured by the Budd Company of Philadelphia.

A typical car is a passenger setup with a little engineer's room up front. It's entirely self-contained, and has all drive wheels to move it along. The Sudbury train has two cars, one passenger and one baggage. Both are Budd Cars, so the train simply drives up one way (driven from the passenger car) then driven back down the other way (driven from the baggage car).

We had a discussion on the Budd Car once with a train afficianado who was riding it just for the experience of riding it. He claimed that there were only two Budd Car setups still in operation in Canada - this one, and one in BC.

Click here for a look at that BC train, and to get an idea of what the Budd Car looks like.

It's wonderfully informal. If there isn't room in the passenger car, you sit in the baggage car. If there isn't room for all of the canoes, packs, boats, outboard motors, building materials, etc they sometimes spill over into the passenger car. It's been known to head north with overturned canoes resting on top of the passenger seats, and the riders having a boat 'overhead'

It will stop anywhere on request, and can be flagged down for a pickup. You have to be flexible with scheduling. How timely it is depends on how many people are being dropped off at cottages, camps or for canoeing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Richard on 2002-10-11 12:37 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 11th, 2002, 1:15 pm 

Thanks Richard,

I did look under "budd car" and that's where I got lost....

I can see that this type of a gathering will need someone who has more knowledge of the service and where, oh where do we stop to get out!? :wink:

I'm salivating at the thought of a Winter Gathering like so...

A mini-movie in the making!!
( or it could be?!)

Georgi

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 11th, 2002, 1:28 pm 

The travel process will be quite simple. Those who want to attend will pick up a ticket in Sudbury the morning we leave, or those of us in Sudbury can pre-purchase the tickets a week ahead for the better 'reserved rate'

We'll pick a spot that looks promising, and ask the train to stop there.

Snowshoe off into the sunset, and come out to catch the train either 2 days later or 4 days later.

Incidentally, the train's quite inexpensive. It'll likely be around $15 for a ticket (each way).

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 11th, 2002, 1:51 pm 

Georgi, am slowly gathering info on the area and looking for a lake/area that would allow for ice fishing, day snowshoe hiking, cross country skiing etc as part of things for folks to while away the daylight hrs on such a trip/gathering. I'd like to spend more than a night or 2 out there and a few different activities to amuse ourselves would be great. Wouldn't mind hearing from anyone with any ideas or experience(s) in the area. I saw your ? regarding the Budd car, phoned Via etc and then noticed Richard posted a complete rundown on the service, which gives different time frames available for trip lengths based on drop off pick-up times, anyway something to think about. Mike S and I got quite cranked about the idea at the gathering. I'll really get cranked when I see some white tho', still got some canoeing to do around here yet!!

Sid

I see Richard posted while I was typing again!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: smokey on 2002-10-11 14:54 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 11th, 2002, 3:02 pm 

Just for the record, I'm interested in the Budd car trip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 11th, 2002, 6:44 pm 

I understand that Jim Little and Jenn Martindale offer guided trips into the Spanish area by train I'll be seeing Jim next week and I'll ask him then . If you have anything in particular in mind let me know and I'll see what I can find out . One of the old Bushwacker magazines had an artical on winter camping on the Spanish so you may want to check there . I'll be away for several days but I can check that out when I get back .
And yes I will be interested . Last year was a blast .

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 11th, 2002, 8:32 pm 

You can certainly count me in for this one!

jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 11th, 2002, 8:50 pm 

Stupid question

Is a sled considered excess baggage? or
do they consider the gear for a winter camping excursion as your normal baggage?

have you rode the winter Budd, Richard?

It seems I missed all the action talk between Sid and Mike S.

must have been over the chowda ?

Georgi

[color=green]For love of the wilderness, A journey begins...[/color] [color=brown][b][Nature's Calling...] So get OFF(!) THAT(!!) THUNDERBOX !!![/b][/color]

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 11th, 2002, 10:26 pm 

You have to pay additional for a canoe, but I don't think a sled would count as extra baggage.

I'm guessing that the Budd Car is pretty quiet in the winter. Not too many campers heading up, only people going to the small towns along the route (Biscotasing, Chapleau, etc).

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 11th, 2002, 11:19 pm 

Just as clarification Mike and I were going on about hot camping, ice fishing etc and tossing ideas around when Bill P. overheard and jumped in with the Budd Car suggestion as he's fished around Ramsay etc before. I thought this was a great idea, get further out without parking worrries, find a fishing lake and have at it. Joe, if you're talking to Jim and Jennie a fairly decent ice fishing lake would be something to look for.
I can get my hands on a 12X14 prospector and stove for the trip but it'd be bulky and fairly heavy so not too far a hike to set up is another thing to think about as well. Man, here we are talking about winter camping and I gotta cut my lawn again! Better go make start the stuffing for the turkey.

Sid

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 12th, 2002, 7:21 am 

Well now you have done it. I was up early this morning thinking about winter camping and snowshoeing and trying to think where all our stuff is. My canoe is stiil sitting in my back yard and has barely dried from our last trip. As a matter of fact we are thinking on picking up some chicken and such, throw a bunch of stuff in the van, load up the canoe and head out for the day. What a better way to spend Thanksgiving. Maybe head up towards Tilden Lake or Red Cedar Lake.
The idea of the Budd or other winter activities has certainly got us thinking and we are now planning on doing more this year.
Question.......what does most people use to haul in their gear. I find the toboggan even though it has been around forever, not quite what I am looking for. I picked up one of those plastic sleds at Canadian Tire and found it quite easy to pull but picks up snow on the front and deposites it in the sled where the old toboggan has a nice high front end. Any ideas or plans. God, here I go,....maybe I should just build one. Any ideas folks???
Sorry to get off subject a tad.
Now where are my darn paddles.....
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 12th, 2002, 7:51 am 

Quote:
On 2002-10-12 08:21, Merlin wrote:
I picked up one of those plastic sleds at Canadian Tire and found it quite easy to pull but picks up snow on the front and deposites it in the sled where the old toboggan has a nice high front end. Any ideas or plans.

I use a plastic CTC sled with shafts of pvc conduit. A chunk of krazy karpet between the shafts helps the sled ride over drifts & prevents it from filling with snow.

Oh, Krazy Karpet is a name for those roll-up plastic sheet sleds.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: madkanuist on 2002-10-12 09:41 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 12th, 2002, 8:25 am 

I attended last winter's gathering and
I CAN'T WAIT TO GO AGAIN.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 12th, 2002, 8:44 am 

Photos from last winter's gathering. We snowshoed to a basecamp for the weekend & then a few of us did some travelling.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: madkanuist on 2002-10-12 18:47 ]</font>

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next