View topic - snowshoe types

It is currently July 18th, 2019, 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 1st, 2003, 11:02 am 

I have mostly used modern, high-tech snowshoes (MSRs). I am considering shoes for the rest of the family, and hesitate to spend the money for good-quality, modern-design shoes for my young children, as they'll use them infrequently, and outgrow them quickly. I suspect that buying over-size shoes, while extending the amount of time they can be used, would hinder their enjoyment and perhaps keep the kids from enjoying the sport.

Traditional wood/rawhide shoes seem like the best solution, however, I have difficulty understanding bindings. I have seen several types used, from creatively tied bootlaces, to elaborate leather harnesses. The more expensive ones with leather straps and buckles (~Cdn$40) look the best, but the price advantage of wood snoewhoes is significantly lessened if one adds this much $ for bindings, since modern-design shoes include bindings.

Also, being used to built-in crampons, the lack of same with traditional shoes seems a serious disadvantage.

Comments would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 1st, 2003, 11:30 am 

I have 3 types of snowshoes:
- traditional wood & rawhide with long tail
- Faber wood frame & plastic deck with a tradional rounded tail shape (bought from CTC)
- weird MSR plastic with steel reinforcement & binding pivoting on steel pins.

The MSR has steel crampons, extra metal & plastic edges for grip. So it has great traction on ice but doesn't give much better traction than the others on snow.

Traditionals have pretty good grip on firm snow slopes because of the webbing. They need occasional varnishing or shellacking to protect the rawhide. If you neglect this, they can stretch, unravel, rot & stink.

The Faber's flexible plastic deck provides the least traction of the 3, but it's lower grip really isn't a problem. I use the Fabers regularly now, because they are cheap, light & big for plenty of floatation. They are also low maintenance compared to rawhide, but not as tough or repairable.

Bindings - I hate leather bindings. They stretch especially when wet & need frequent adjustment. Many users swear by lampwick or rubber innertube bindings.

My own favourite is the binding that came on my Fabers. It has webbing around the heel with a fastex type buckle. It uses a bootlace with a cordlock to adjust around the toe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 3rd, 2003, 1:38 pm 

Jon
I bought snowshoes for my grandkids for christmas - here's a link to an Ebay auction of the same type.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=28083

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 3rd, 2003, 1:53 pm 

Jon, If you look at some of the clearance sales ( CTC for example) Kids ( small adults) snowshoes are only about $69.00 CAN

They are the Faber design Wood/plastic and nylon ( I think?) stitching.

I was thinking of buying another pair for my son as well, i figure a) it worth the savings and
b) he's growing out of his existing pair by the end of this season.

I haven't taken him to any places with a great deal of climbs yet, so I'm happy with the Faber's for his use for next season.

I'm not sure of make of the existing pair, but they are cheapies ( completely plastic)

Georgi

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 3rd, 2003, 4:49 pm 

I have traditional rawhide snowshoes which are best for travel in deep snow. The new high tech style snowshoes seem to be good for packed snow and ice because of the cramp ons. I have nylon webbing and buckle bindings for my traditional snowshoes, and they are easy to use and adjust. They were like $15 at Canadian Tire.