View topic - Mukluks

It is currently November 14th, 2019, 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Mukluks
PostPosted: February 12th, 2014, 12:54 pm 

I've been looking for reasonably priced Mukluks for wood snowshoes, with no luck. All leather or 1/2 canvas, soft sole or rubber would be fine... Anyone have a source(s)?
Thnxs

Post subject: Re: Mukluks
PostPosted: February 12th, 2014, 7:32 pm 

What do you consider reasonably priced?

Probably the best way to obtain a cheap pair is to make them yourself. You can buy a kit from lureofthenorth.com

Alternatively the next cheapest solution is I know someone who can make them for you at $150- you supply the felt liner.

Chris

PostPosted: February 13th, 2014, 8:06 am 

I just use my Baffin boots - done many miles with 'em - perfectly suited to the job.

PostPosted: February 13th, 2014, 7:47 pm 

If you don't mind white coloured mukluks, maybe Canadian military mukluks, normally available at any military surplus store might be worth a look.

Breathable heavy nylon uppers, rubber bottoms, snowshoe binding stud above the heels, combination insoles comprised of nylon mesh, felt pack, and two layered duffle socks. They dry very quickly, wear like iron, and are inexpensive to buy.

Not sexy, but warm, dry, and fit very well.

Cheers.

Ubique

PostPosted: February 14th, 2014, 8:47 am 

Proper mukluks- warmer as your feet flex as you walk and because they are breathable the liner doesn't get soaked with sweat so helps you stay warm and also makes them easier to dry out at night. Lighter so you don't have to lift that weight on the ends of your feet all day.

Plus you are supporting small businesses in North America.

Mine are Stegers, certainly the best of the "commercially" made mukluks. Think they sell for about $200 now.

PostPosted: February 14th, 2014, 8:40 pm 

Height from floor: 11"
*Material Description: Moosehide, 18oz. Water Repellent Canvas Upper, 9mm Polypropylene Lined Wool Felt Liner, 9 mm Woolfelt Insole, Contour Insole, Rubber Sole

Not seeing a whole lot of difference......other than the actual foot portion is moosehide......rubber sole - same... felt liner - same... height - same.....but the baffins are more waterproof and keep the snow out of the throat better. :)

PostPosted: February 15th, 2014, 7:08 pm 

fabric is coated on the Baffins so along with the lower rubber portion doesn't breathe. Moisture builds up all day on the inside reducing the value of the insulation then freezes when you take them off. Fine if all you are doing is standing around but if you are working hard your feet need to breathe. I switched from boots to runners for hiking for the same reason.

At least they are made in Canada, unlike Sorel

Have you used mukluks?

PostPosted: February 16th, 2014, 7:42 am 

chris randall wrote:
fabric is coated on the Baffins so along with the lower rubber portion doesn't breathe. Moisture builds up all day on the inside reducing the value of the insulation then freezes when you take them off. Fine if all you are doing is standing around but if you are working hard your feet need to breathe. I switched from boots to runners for hiking for the same reason.

At least they are made in Canada, unlike Sorel

Have you used mukluks?

Haven't had any problems with moisture build-up - cotton socks & a 2nd set of liners seem to solve the problem.

Yes, 2 sets of hand-made mukluks, both many years ago from the Omer DesSerres store in Montreal, which is nowadays an art supplies retailer, but in the 60's was a fantastic source for hard-to-find custom outdoor products. I guess I've learned a bit about what I need, and how I can adapt to modern gear between 25 and 65+ ...... :wink:

PostPosted: February 16th, 2014, 10:55 am 

Whatever works for you I guess.

PostPosted: February 16th, 2014, 8:08 pm 

Yep. 10-4

:)

PostPosted: February 18th, 2014, 1:16 am 

Omer de serres, Oh yeah that was a great store. I believe I may have bought my original mukluks from them . I've been using Sorels that weigh a ton. The soles aren't particularly destructive but I'd prefer another pair of leather mukluks with the rubber sole mainly for the weight. Getting old is a b&^#h and less weight becomes extremely attractive.

PostPosted: February 18th, 2014, 7:21 pm 

chris randall wrote:
Whatever works for you I guess.

I concur with Chris. Packboots are good for day activity, but I always have issues with moisture retention when I'm cold camping. I remove the liners before going to bed and take them in my sleeping bag, but I often find the nylon of my pack boots will freeze stiff from the moisture retained in the fabric. This leads to the comical battle of trying to stand up on one foot on the ice in front of my tent and struggle my foot and liner into the folded over frozen boot. But if you are returning to a cozy cabin or home after a days walk/snowshoe then I find the pack boots work great.

The only other thing about the muks are that they are poor performers when the temperatures near freezing to about -5oC and/or with wet snow. I prefer the pack boots under those circumstances.

Canadian Military Muks seem great as my camping buddies would attest. I just never cared for the sock liners that come with them. Can you use a standard felt liner in the Military muks?

PostPosted: February 19th, 2014, 11:30 pm 

If you can afford a pair of Steger muks, that'd be my suggestion. As noted, not the greatest in wet conditions but the can moose hide can be waterproofed. I like that the soles are easier on my snowshoes vs hard rubber pac boots. Wore mine all over the north (Baffin Island, Labrador, Ungava Bay etc) and my feet have never been happier ;) Mine are Arctic double wides.