View topic - Deep Freeze 2014 Thank you

It is currently May 21st, 2019, 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 26th, 2014, 7:44 pm 

I originally posted this in the "Who's Coming to Deep Freeze" topic but I think it deserves to be under a separate topic heading... so see below.
" Hi all,
Finally thawed out from DF 2014... lol...
Thanks to everyone who came out to DF and made it a wonderful winter camping experience.. and we didn't have to wait for the Budd car....
Special thanks go out to : 1) Scouter Joe for providing a space in his hot tent (again) for me to eat, sleep and hang out and his wife Carol for making some great meals...
2) Smokey, Scouter Joe et al for finding a great camping site on Sideburn Lake, fall and winter prep and cutting the trees for firewood and poles for the hot tents.
3) all the DFers who helped move and split the firewood ( especially Techo Jim for pulling the loaded sleds with his snow machine to the DF site )
4) Dave for regaling me with stories of his amazing travels around this planet.. I only hope I can get to some of the place you've suggested
5) the whole DF crew at the pot luck for allowing me the opportunity to do what I enjoy the most, play my guitar and singing...I may not know all the songs, chords or words but I'll always give it my best shot...
6) Kyle, for keeping me on track with song choices throughout that night
7) Smokey and the Banter Boys for making space in the "Lounge" for a reprise of the potluck "hootenany" in a more intimate and warmer setting... I wish you would have eaten my salami and cheese...
Finally, a shout out to a few of those who didn't make it out... Cliff ( I missed your appetite and appreciated your Baileys), Tony Cc and family ( the Canadian flag was sad during DF, but not as sad as the US hockey teams ( I couldn't resist) ), jimdiane, Madelyn & family ( hugs and warm thoughts )
You missed another great DF.
If I missed anyone my apologies....
Cheers,
Al 8)
p.s.: " Ah, for just one time I would take the Northwest Passage, to find the hand of Franklin reaching for the Beaufort Sea"...
p.p.s: if all goes according to plan this will be my last DF, as someplace warm beckons me.... "

PostPosted: February 26th, 2014, 9:06 pm 

Well Al I would like to thank you for your talents at the potluck, in our tent and your many years of playing and singing at deepfreeze. From the tiki lounge at nitro, to a chilly night at Scouter lake , this year and all the others.You made the trips memorable. A big thank you from me.

Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise. Prov. 19:20

PostPosted: February 27th, 2014, 8:04 am 

Well, I should say that I (including Ethan and Madelyn) missed all the Deep Freezers this year, we have been going every year one way or another and this was the first year we missed it. My father left us this past weekend and we are still mourning our loss.
Anyone who has never experienced winter camping and reads the trip reports or looks at the pictures of any trips, can't understand what it's like until you truly get out there and participate. I have been taking my kids out of school for the deep freeze trips for a number of years and they continue to want to go, and I'm happy to take them.
I really enjoyed looking at the pictures of this last trip (too bad for the bud car, it was a big part of the trip) and look forward to next year.
Still pretty cold down here and a lot of snow, so we plan on going out March Break.....................some where!
jim
p.s. My dad waited till after the Canadians won! :wink:

PostPosted: February 27th, 2014, 6:56 pm 

Sorry to hear of your loss Jim . We all missed you as well . scouter Joe

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2014, 11:11 am 

though I made my thanks to all those personally, this in deed is a good thread opportunity to thank everyone again.

Thanks to the scouters (Smokey, Scouter Joe,) To Joe again for the wood supply. To Jim for the wood delivery. To all those who chopped. To Allan for the musical entertainment. To the guys and girls of the Dawghouse for their part in the Pot Luck. To daniel for breaking many trails! To Dusan for his shovel! And to the good Samaritan who pulled me out of the ditch!! :oops:

And to all those who shared, and part took in this communal good time! I am probably missing someone who deserves to be mentioned :oops: :oops:

Thanks again, :thumbup: Andrew