It is currently November 15th, 2019, 9:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 27th, 2015, 7:45 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

Train delay forces frigid wait on Sudbury winter campers
Posted: Feb 23, 2015
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/t ... -1.2968637

Quote:
An outdoor winter camping adventure, led by a Sudbury couple, continues on as the group awaits a delayed train.

Dave Marrone and his wife Kielyn operate Lure of the North, a company that focuses on camping and wilderness travel.

The pair, along with several other participants, went out on a two-week camping adventure near Missinaibi Lake.

However, they are now waiting for a delayed train, the Budd Car, to bring them out of the wilderness.

“Everyone is safe [and] everyone is healthy,” Marrone said, speaking on CBC Radio’s Up North via satellite phone.

Marrone said the crew was supposed to be picked up on Friday, but are now hoping for early Tuesday morning.

In an e-mail, Via Rail, the company that offers the Budd Car, said the train did run on Friday, so they company is unsure why the group was not picked up.

Sudbury campers return home
Posted: Feb 26, 2015
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/s ... -1.2974490

Quote:
After being stranded by a train out in the bush near Chapleau for three days, David Marrone and his wife, Kie, are back in Sudbury safe and sound.

The couple owns a travel company called Lure of the North.

They take people out in groups to go winter camping in the bush in northern Ontario and Quebec.

A recent two week adventure was extended when the couple and a group of campers were stranded due to a delayed train.

However, after being three days overdue, the group is now back safely in Sudbury.

Speaking on CBC Radio’s Up North program, David said the group was relieved when the train arrived to pick them up.

“When it rounded that corner and we saw it was not a CN freight, it was the Via passenger, it was a great feeling,” he said.

Kie said the group was safe while waiting three days for the train, but added the situation was stressful.

“Communication is limited,” she said.

“We still have communication for the necessary arrangements. But it’s not like they could call their mom and say … I’m fine.”

The delay in travel isn’t affecting the couple. They’re getting ready to head out on another two week adventure starting this weekend.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2015, 11:11 am 

Out of the winter campers I'm familiar with, I would think that couple out of all of them would be just fine. Their videos are well worth watching!

PostPosted: March 1st, 2015, 10:02 am 

I guess there's always a chance of that happening in then north year round so should be a lesson for all to be prepared for anything.