View topic - Deepfreeze 2016 Feb. 13 to 21

It is currently March 19th, 2024, 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 10th, 2016, 12:21 pm 

Since 2002 a group of winter camping enthusiasts have been getting together in February north of Sudbury for some winter camping . We started out with 8 participants the first year with as high as 40 in other years and have been going ever since . Our camping style has changed from cold camping the first year to predominately hot tenting now . We base camp and take part in whatever activities interest each individual .From snow shoeing ,skiing ,ice fishing to just hanging around camp and socializing .
This year we will be going to an area off Hyw.144 just north of the Onaping Lake turnoff . There is a parking lot less than a km. north on the left (west) side of the Hyw. . The trail in is from the back of this parking lot about 1 Km. in . There is a nice jack pine stand here with open area for tents and lots of standing dead wood . A group of us went in , in October and cleared a dozen tent sites cut poles and put in one latrine and dug a hole for a second one . Water will be available from Sideburn Lake which is less than 100 meters from the farthest tent site .
If you are interested in this opportunity we would like to see you come . You can come for the whole duration or any length that works for you .You will be responsible for your own arrangements .This is your trip if you choose to take it . Bring your own gear be prepared and plan accordingly . You will be responsible for your own safety . Many others will be there with as many different types of gear for you to check and learn different skills from the others .
Hope to see the regulars and also some new participants . Any questions feel free to ask . Less than 5 weeks to go .Let the planning begin . scouter Joe

PostPosted: January 12th, 2016, 12:42 am 

Hope everyone has a great time at DF this year... I won't be coming...take care and enjoy...
Al 8)
... Ah for just one time I would take the Northwest Passage.....

PostPosted: January 12th, 2016, 8:12 am 

Looking forward to it, healthier this year so will be coming in from Saturday to Thursday this year. Let it snow

Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise. Prov. 19:20

PostPosted: January 12th, 2016, 10:25 am 

30 more days, time to start packing.

I will be there, probably Saturday - Friday. One kid is coming for sure, the youngest one (10 years old) might join me too. I have to justify buying a bigger tent. :)

Mike will be there too, with his 2 sons.

PostPosted: January 12th, 2016, 5:00 pm 

We had real high winds just before Christmas and I was worried that the Jack pine at our camp site might have been blown down . I went in today and the camp sites are in good shape . About a foot of snow so we are in good shape that way to .
Who else is coming ? scouter Joe

PostPosted: January 12th, 2016, 5:18 pm 

I am on for 8 days. Bill grad to hear you are coming. Smokey are you coming back from BC?
Al are you sunning?
Pot Luck Thursday? It is a meal not a smoke.
I should be able to get some snowshoe time tomorrow. Storm to blow out about 4 am. Wind 50kph now.
Stay safe
OAF/Dave

PostPosted: January 12th, 2016, 8:46 pm 

Hey OAF,
Si... in Merida, Mexico... so I won't be around for DF... hope you, Scouter Joe, the Banter Boys (sin Smokey), Blaff etc have a great time in the snow.. good to hear you're in better health this year Billy and can enjoy what you and all the DFers love to do...
Cheers,
Al 8)

PostPosted: January 14th, 2016, 9:28 am 

I will be there for some of the period, not sure about the dates yet.

Daniel.

PostPosted: January 15th, 2016, 8:36 am 

I'll be there with both of the girls this year. Looks like Saturday to Friday for us. Can't wait!

Thanks for all of the prep Joe and gang.

PostPosted: January 17th, 2016, 5:50 am 

I will be coming this year for the full 8 days.
Will be hanging my hat as part of Joe's posse.
I will be bringing my portable bbq ( 1 lb tanks) and will be available to others
Will be great to see everyone.

PostPosted: January 26th, 2016, 7:16 pm 

Bump

PostPosted: February 1st, 2016, 7:40 pm 

Hey Joe is there still accessible for the wood hauling devices? There will be 6 of us in the mansion ...

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2016, 6:33 am 

Hi Jim . Glad to hear you and your gang can make it . Access is right along the trail going in to the trappers lake so it is accessible . Wood is a lot closer this year which is the main reason for the move . See you there . scouter Joe

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2016, 9:16 am 

Looks like the deepfreeze camping area is missing the latest mild spell. Should be lots of snow and ice for us. Just putting it out there to those that want to winter camp but lack of snow and ice will not be an issue at deepfreeze. Long range forecast is for colder Temps. All are welcome to come

Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise. Prov. 19:20

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2016, 7:23 pm 

Yes lots of snow up here . About 2 feet deep here in Hanmer area . I just spent the day shovelling and cleaning snow again today . Don't even think about trying to go any distance in the bush without snow shoes . Every thing is shaping up for great conditions this year for our camp out . scouter Joe