View topic - Mid-March Hot-Tenting Backcountry Trip Report

It is currently September 17th, 2019, 8:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 4th, 2016, 12:12 pm 

While I'm desperately longing to get back in my canoe, I am trying to make the most of this extended hardwater season by getting out with our new winter equipment as much as possible. Here's a link to a report of our most recent backcountry adventure. Hope you enjoy!

https://thehappyadventure.com/2016/04/04/hottentingmuskoka/

thehappyadventure.com

Friends of Temagami:
friendsoftemagami.org

Last edited by tearknee on October 21st, 2016, 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2016, 1:56 pm 

Nice report !
I see you are wearing what looks like wool overalls, and since Im always looking for a decent pair of wool pants I was curious where you got them.

and yes it snowed last night but winter camping is just done...but dont put away your Atuk tent just yet it is great in the ice out season for paddling especially on a rainy day!

PostPosted: April 4th, 2016, 2:10 pm 

That made for a nice winter break, and a really nice read. Thanks Tierney. Never having winter camped I assume you'll adjust and reassess your gear every so often, just like canoe tripping; any thoughts on what worked really well, what needs tweaking? Those 'boggins turned out well. You two trolls make it all look easy.
Thanks for the fun snow day!

PostPosted: April 4th, 2016, 3:11 pm 

Thanks gunnelbob! The wool overalls are from Woolrich (Malone and Ms Malone styles). I found them online for a good price around Boxing Day. I've been having good luck finding Woolrich stuff on sale lately.. just bought myself a nice plaid jacket, too. The men's version is a heavier wool and unlined, and the women's is a lighter-weight wool, lined, and with elastic cuffs. Very cosy. Once I figure out how to rig a fly over the Atuk tent, I'll definitely be bringing it on shoulder-season canoe trips! So nice to have the stove to dry wet gear.

Hey Odyssey! Thanks. We may change the lashing system on our toboggans. The shock cord currently runs the whole length of the sled so it has too much freedom to move around and loosen in places. Thinking of switching to a nylon strap. I won't change anything about the sleeping system... It was perfect for this mild weather and kept us alive at -40 with additional clothing, and that way we don't have to purchase expensive winter down bags. We will probably get a couple more of the olive-green duffel bags. They're from an army surplus store and they're narrower than our big blue NorthFace duffel, so easier to position on the sled. Much cheaper, too. One thing I will definitely change is my footwear. My Sorel boots are not waterproof OR good to -40, as they claim. I'm looking to make my own snowshoe moccasins and also perhaps getting a pair of Neos overshoes. We also got a better pitch of the tent by shortening the centre pole. The tent has a height of 8 ft, but lowering the pole to 7.5 ft allowed us to guy the sides out wider and tighter and kept the walls at a proper 90 degree angle to the ground.

thehappyadventure.com

Friends of Temagami:
friendsoftemagami.org

PostPosted: April 5th, 2016, 4:19 am 

Another great trip. I hope school doesn't interfere with your adventure schedule. :)

Shawn http://myselfreliance.com/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIMXKi ... q2UJePJEog

PostPosted: April 5th, 2016, 9:05 am 

my_self_reliance: I'm not going to let a little thing like full time school and work interfere with my Nature Time! Haha but in all seriousness if I can still get out on a couple weekends during the school year and as much as possible in the summertime I'll be happy. If I don't make time for adventuring I'll probably go crazy.

thehappyadventure.com

Friends of Temagami:
friendsoftemagami.org

PostPosted: April 7th, 2016, 12:14 am 

Another nice read. Especially enjoyed one small observation. Tree shadows on tent walls is a beautiful thing in the morning light. Looks like a nice getaway and a real test for those toboggans and your backs. Thanks for the write up.

PostPosted: April 8th, 2016, 8:02 am 

Thanks, GRS Riverrider! I'm glad we did get a chance to take our stuff on a proper backcountry trip.

thehappyadventure.com

Friends of Temagami:
friendsoftemagami.org

PostPosted: November 15th, 2016, 2:47 pm 

Awesome trip log. Very interested in trying hot tent camping. Looks beautiful. No bugs or bears. Thanks for sharing.