View topic - Cndn credit card in the U.S.

It is currently May 30th, 2020, 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 13th, 2020, 1:17 pm 

littleredcanoe wrote:
no not yet. Covid 19 is new and social isolation seems to be key to avoid community spread. We haven't gone yet but are packing
We are pretty isolated camping. And at home I never have people to meet. I could still get it as I am in the age group with highest mortality
but dammit I refuse to lock myself in the house as my neighbors are doing.

Too bad you have such a tool for prez who is making things worse! It will affect us here in Canada as well.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2020, 1:20 pm 

frozentripper wrote:
Yesterday shopping for groceries, huge lineups like never before with people stocking up, probably worried that supplies will disappear. Did not see anybody with symptoms but lots of close congestion and people pawing this and that.

'We must be fortunate. While TP is gone and hand sanitizer too there is bleach and soap. And the produce and meat sections overflowing
Hamburger Helper and the processed food aisles are almost bare. Forget finding mac and cheese and soup.
The local hardware store has hand sanitizer and TP.

We did not have long lines. Full carts yes but only two or one in a line. That is why we are fortunate. Everyone was in a good mood too. Only four people shopping in a big produce section
But it does seem that order on line and pick up outside is getting rampant. Maybe that is a blessing. I have not tried it.

I still gotta touch the grapefruit.

As for the tool people are starting to simply ignore the uneducated narcissistic blame it on someone else tweeting head. I don't think Canada is listening to him nor are many states any more. He just blathers on. I hope he gets it.
Our governor is certainly not listening to him
I am not part of his tool chest. I hope his faithful also leave the rusty toolbox come elections

PostPosted: March 13th, 2020, 8:47 pm 

I'm in Florida. Used Rick's formula all the way.
Friend was not on the quarantined boat and local Public Health advised him he need only self-monitor for 14 days. Which ends Monday, the day he's flying down. Still some risk he'll be turned back at the border though. Who knows?
We re gonna go self-isolate in the middle of the Okefenokee swamp. Nobody there but us and the 'gators.
LRC, I was gonna do the Apalachicola last year but high water combined with rapid level changes from the dam was more than I wanted to tackle solo. I look forward to your trip report <smile>.

Last edited by Krusty on March 14th, 2020, 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: March 14th, 2020, 8:55 am 

Krusty,
Glad it was a successful trip down. Relax and enjoy yourself. Keep healthy.
Rick

[i]Rick[/i] discoverpaddling.ca

PostPosted: March 14th, 2020, 1:15 pm 

Friend has been notified that because of restrictions on unnecessary travel he will not be able to get on the plane. His travel agent says that partly because of the massive failure of US testing Canada considers it to be the greatest threat and may close the border, subjecting me to 14 days quarantine before I can go home. Says I should make a run for the border now.
I've got good travel insurance but the system down here can bankrupt me if I end up in a hospital and something screws up.
Gonna hang in for another day. May just paddle off by myself for a few weeks, but this could last months....

PostPosted: March 14th, 2020, 4:07 pm 

You can quarantine here. My home has room and I am six hours from Ottawa. The actual chances of you getting ill are slim as you are off paddling by yourself.

We might not go a traveling ourselves as our kids all work prehospital EMS and they have kids and if they get sick someone has to be around to help. And it is a given they will be exposed

PostPosted: March 14th, 2020, 8:57 pm 

Thanks for the support LRC. Very much appreciated.
Not sure what I'm gonna do.
People I'm staying with say they'll put up with me for as long as it takes. Tough people obviously harbouring a serious delusion.
Brother is alone north of Tampa. Wife is at home caring for her 92 yr old mother who will surely perish if she gets it. No chance she'll be joining him for at least a month. He wants me to go hole up with him for the duration.
There's also the pull to rush back to the home cave, grab my spear and defend the family from the beast. But in fact my wife is stronger, healthier and overall more competent then me. I get the flu for 2 weeks and she sniffles for 2 days. I'd end up adding to the burden.
Also the option of self-isolation; gearing up for 2 weeks solo down the upper Suwannee and doddling my way down to White Springs. Ain't nobody up there - extreme social distancing. Deal with whatever the state of the world is when I run out of provisions and that's it.

Florida has seen a sudden spike - March break, people from everywhere, few being tested. Following trajectory we've seen elsewhere it's possible the whole state will soon be declared a hotspot. Some kind of travel restrictions may be implemented. But are road-blocks on I75 really likely?

Well, I'm gonna hang here another day or two. Any big political move will be made to catch the Sunday night news. Maybe Mondays. Yes, I'm a cynic.

PostPosted: March 15th, 2020, 4:05 pm 

Self isolation mostly means life as usual here. We hiked in the woods took pix played with the dog. No bars etc. We did go to the diner which spaced tables a little further apart. Seriously they may have to close and in restaurant lingo that means out of business.
There is plenty to do with our lifestyle. We have canoes that need working on, yard to cleanup soon hiking and the ocean paddling beckons . In a few weeks the ice on freshwater will be out. The library continues to function.

I completely sympathize with the uncertainty of travel and being told you can't go where you want to. I think we can't go West next week. And that is OK. If that happens I am booking Marine Atlantic for May to go to Newfoundland and stay there for two months and then go to Labrador. But I hesitate to make reservations as who knows how long restrictions would last if imposed?

I have done the Suwanee from RT. 6 to Branford. It can move fast so sometimes the trip is shorter than you want. Just watch for those things we are not used to fire ants. Gad they are EVERYWHERE on the Suwanee. And wild pigs.

PostPosted: March 16th, 2020, 6:21 am 

Didn't see this coming: brother's health ins. company notified him that they were cancelling his coverage effective 10 days after the gov't. advising against non-essential travel, which they did on the 13th. My policy with the Royal Bank says they will decide on an individual basis. Fear is that they'll decide that if I go against gov't advice I'm accepting liability.
Will scoop up brother tomorrow, load as much of his stuff on top of mine as the old truck can carry and head north. He's got a cabin on an isolated speckled trout lake where we can quarantine ourselves. That doesn't seem half-bad to me.
I looked this up: 3.5 million Canadians spend $1.5 billion in Florida every year. Florida is gonna be hurt bad.
LRC, since you put me on to the Suwannee years ago I've done it from the swamp to the gulf. Have taken 3 different people to camp on the chickees in the swamp and paddle the upper bit. A regular tourist guide.

PostPosted: March 16th, 2020, 8:45 am 

aak.. You are right to return home. Things are getting difficult with everything shutting down. Safe and not too trying troubles.

PostPosted: March 16th, 2020, 1:05 pm 

Canadian border is closed to all but citizens and permanent residences
effective now

PostPosted: March 16th, 2020, 3:51 pm 

littleredcanoe wrote:
Canadian border is closed to all but citizens and permanent residences
effective now

You didn't mention that the USA, Mexico & the Caribbean are NOT included (not sure I understand the logic of that).

Another interesting stat is that the number of tests done for Covid-19 stands at about 20,000 for BOTH the US & Canada. How has Canada manged to test the same number of people as the USA given the population difference?

PostPosted: March 16th, 2020, 10:05 pm 

The American response---or relative lack thereof----concerns me, esp. given that our borders still remain open. This is not a case where ignorance is bliss. They prob have many more cases than have been diagnosed---prob by a factor of 10, 100, or maybe even 1000.

PostPosted: March 17th, 2020, 7:05 am 

Krusty You will be travelling through PA. The REST AREAS are ALL CLOSED! This is going to make for an unhygienic situation.. People will still doo..
Wotty the reason the CDN border is still open is trade and commerce. We have some folks who work in Canada and live in the US. It is a two way street. Should it be dead end for now? Absolutely.

Why has the US faltered. Look at the orange clown. The states have had to take the lead one by one. No leadership comes from the Feds.

McConnell continues to be a thorn. I will say it.. send him the virus.

PostPosted: March 17th, 2020, 9:41 am 

littleredcanoe wrote:
Krusty You will be travelling through PA. The REST AREAS are ALL CLOSED! This is going to make for an unhygienic situation.. People will still doo..
Wotty the reason the CDN border is still open is trade and commerce. We have some folks who work in Canada and live in the US. It is a two way street. Should it be dead end for now? Absolutely.

Why has the US faltered. Look at the orange clown. The states have had to take the lead one by one. No leadership comes from the Feds.

McConnell continues to be a thorn. I will say it.. send him the virus.

Agree--I fell sorry for y'all going thru this w/o any real leadership from the top. Exceptions for vital trade would need to be made, of course.