View topic - Paddlers turned Politicians

It is currently March 19th, 2024, 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2019, 9:10 am 

Congratulations to Adam van Koeverden for his victory last night!

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2019, 2:18 pm 

Beat out Lisa Raitt, too... head PC executioner and the sharpest thorn in Trudeau's side. Maybe being a closet climate change denier finally caught up with her.

Quote:
"Bottom line is there's no solid connection between climate change and the major indicators of extreme weather, despite Trudeau's claims to the contrary. The continual claim of such a link is misinformation employed for political and rhetorical purposes."

-- Lisa Raitt

PostPosted: October 24th, 2019, 7:41 am 

I had Adam's sign up from day one and even went to the local election for when he became the Liberal Candidate.
I have had "interactions" with Lisa over the years, she was actually really toned down for this election.
Only had the con people come once to the door, they could not (would not) give an answer about Scheer not denouncing the white supremists he spoke with in Ottawa at the same event, and would not specifically say what was wrong with Bill C-69 that they found so offensive.
So just like the rest of their campaign noise and no specifics.
And the ford factor is big here, the cuts to schools, medical, and a big new maker here was telling the most profitable conservation area in the country to give up all their programs.
People were pretty aware here.
I was surprised by how much he won by.
Very happy the cons will not be able to completly remove Bill C-69 which was one of their promises.
We would have been back to square 1 on our Navigation rights.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: October 24th, 2019, 9:41 am 

Politics - preaching to the choir while creating new adversaries. Awesome.

PostPosted: October 24th, 2019, 10:17 am 

As long as we are talking politics (not sure how long this will last before posts are removed or the thread is locked so I'll be brief)... Trudeau campaigned on increasing the extent of protected areas to 25% of total area by 2025 and 30% by 2030... currently, it's about 12% protected IIRC. About $1.35 billion promised towards this and 67 candidate areas to be protected identified.

Even if it's slowed by a minority Liberal government, the NDP and Greens have also campaigned along similar lines so could help this pass in spite of any denial of coalition possibilities.

Anyway we wait and see, maybe those election promises will add up to something.

PostPosted: October 24th, 2019, 5:28 pm 

I'm not a Conservative but it was a bit disconcerting when a veteran poly who was respected by the opposition loses to a celebrity with no political creds. Her statement re climate change is not really denial. I think she is right in what she said but that's not the same as denying that we have an effect on climate---just that the extremes MAY not be attributable to humans.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.