View topic - Painting Royalex

It is currently September 19th, 2019, 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Painting Royalex
PostPosted: March 26th, 2011, 11:23 am 

Hey all

Last summer I bought a used solo playboat. The boat has seen quite a bit of use in its life. There were a number of spots where the previous owner had painted ABS on sections where the vinyl was worn through. Because of this there are a number of black spots on the red hull. I contemplated painting it last summer but decided it was too much work. I also always thought painting on ABS was not something that was done because the paint gets scratched off too easily in white water.

Recently I heard of somebody painting a royalex boat with a two part epoxy paint. I have never heard of this and it sounds interesting!

I have never painted a boat so I have no idea how to go about doing this. Does anybody have any information to share on painting my boat?

Thanks,
Dave

Post subject: Re: Painting Royalex
PostPosted: March 26th, 2011, 1:43 pm 

It will scratch less easily, but it will still scratch. The advantage of the colored vinyl topcoat on Royalex is that it is thick, so that while it scratches easily, seldom does the scratch go through to the ABS layer.

Companies like Mad River used to sell cans of spray paint color-matched to their Royalex boat colors. The stuff wasn't especially durable, but one could spray a little more on if it got scratched through.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2011, 4:34 pm 

I was thinking I would try to paint it a very similar shade of red. So if it scratches it wont be too noticeable.

Where do I even get two part epoxy paint?

Is it more effort than its worth?

Dave

PostPosted: March 26th, 2011, 5:56 pm 

Krylon Fusion works well, but if you want full coverage on a large area you need quite a few cans.

A canoe dealer here told me it was the same as what Mad River sells, but the Mad River stuff cost more so he didn't stock it. He told me to go to Canadian Tire.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2011, 6:19 pm 

I used Krylon fusion a number of years ago to paint a plastic sled. The paint chipped off in big chunks the first time using it. I would be pretty sceptical to using it on a canoe. :-?

Dave

PostPosted: March 26th, 2011, 6:53 pm 

I sell car paint for a living, and i have to say i would have some hesitation in painting abs with epoxy. dont get me wrong im not saying that it wont work, cuz it very well may i would just be concerned in the thinners in the paint could cause damage. You may however us urethane based 2 part pant, However you would have to paint it using a spray gun to get a good finish.

I dont sell krylon paint however i have had lots of people come it asking for it. but what i do know is that no canned spray paint s going to stick very well to Next your going to want to use a plastic adheasion promoter. I sell it in spray cans (should be around 10 bucks a can) it is also know as clear plastic primer. After you get the it primer, any paint should stick to it and not come off in big peices. That being said, it will stil scrach

We can also use a scanner to scan an item, to match a paint color, as well as mix the paint and put it in a spray can. Im not telling you this to promote my bussness more so just to let you know there are ways of getting custom made spray bombs to match things like perhaps your canoe.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2011, 8:15 pm 

I've used the Krylon fusion on a Mad River canoe. Properly cleaning the hull, then a quick wipe with acetone, then spraying many thin layers, the paint never flaked off. However, it did take a long time/many coats to get full coverage. I once tried a non-matching colour and that really demonstrated how much spray-paint is needed. For a touch-up it makes sense, but if you need to cover most of the bottom you will be paying like crazy.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2011, 8:19 pm 

I've used Krylon Fusion for several RX boats with success. I'll continue using it.

Prep is everything for painting. If you want to go overboard then use a plastic primer first (I use General Paint). Multiple thin layers is best.

I dabbled with Endura (2 part epoxy paint) several years back. Too pricey, too finicky, and it scratches off too! I won't waste my money.

Canoeheadted.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2011, 8:25 pm 

:rofl: Great minds think alike and sometimes at the same time.

Canoeheadted.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2011, 9:25 pm 

You can get two-part epoxy marine paint from a ship chandler. However, as already pointed out it is finicky and very toxic. Unless you have an industrial mask, you shouldn't spray it.

I used it once -- since then I have used ordinary acrylic paint for covering worn boats. Seems to work as well as anything else.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2011, 10:37 pm 

So say I were to go with kylon fusion

I would go with the krylon for plastics I suppose
http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion_for_plastic/

What would be the process to getting a solid paint job?

What prep work should I do?

Tape off gunwales, sand the vinyl layer a little bit, wipe off boat with tack rags then spray a number of thin layers until I get the color I want?

Dave

PostPosted: March 27th, 2011, 1:11 am 

Sounds right Dave.

Myself, I would clean with T.S.P and then prime with General Paint 11-011 plastic primer (or similar). If it's rough around the area then sand before painting, otherwise don't bother.

Between coats I alway knock off anything rough with a light sanding of high grit or worn out sandpaper.

Canoeheadted.

PostPosted: March 27th, 2011, 2:33 am 

So it looks like if I am going to paint it, it will be for the whole hull getting painted.

I have never painted a boat before. From what I have gathered is this a correct assumption for the steps painting it?

- Cover up gunwales with masking tape
- Sand entire hull: not to remove significant vinyl. just until a little bit of red dust comes off (boat is red)
- Clean entire hull with TSP or similar
- Put plastic primer on hull (I'm assuming that one thin layer will get the job done)
- Sand down any rough spots
- Spray paint hull using krylon fusion for plastic. Put one thin layer on at a time - Leave time to dry between layers.

Please let me know what to add/remove from that list. It is a playboat so I want the paint to stay on the best it possibly can.

Dave

PostPosted: March 27th, 2011, 12:06 pm 

Dave, spray bombing a whole boat will take a lot of product and time.

If it's just a patch then I would spray bomb.

If I have to repaint a whole boat I will do all the same prep and then paint with a litre of marine grade paint using a 3-4" roller. You'll get 2-3 coats rolled on and have a little for touch up later.

Watch when you use plastic primer as it dries very quickly. Usually I'll work up one side in 2' sections to avoid lap marks. (or both sides if you can convince anyone to help you!)

This boat will be used and scratched. No sense putting too much money and stress into the fix. A simple paint job and touch up as needed.

This is just what I would do.
Canoeheadted.

PostPosted: March 27th, 2011, 12:15 pm 

Isn't the outer layer of Royalex made of vinyl, not ABS... this page for Krylon Fusion For Plastic says it's suitable for "hard vinyl". There's a link to surface prep.

http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion_for_plastic/

You could try a test on a portion of the hull, allow to dry and then see if it bonds well enough to prevent flaking off... if not, sand off and try something else.