View topic - Painting Royalex

It is currently September 16th, 2019, 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Painting Royalex
PostPosted: March 27th, 2011, 12:26 pm 

Canoeheadted wrote:
Dave, spray bombing a whole boat will take a lot of product and time.

If it's just a patch then I would spray bomb.

Yea good call...

Is there anywhere that would be able to do a colour match on the boat and produce a spray can of the same colour that would adequately bond to plastic? I know there are places out there that will mix up spray cans, but would any of them be suitable for bonding to vinyl or ABS? One or two cans would do the trick and have plenty of leftover for future uses.

If not I am thinking I will try to see how the burgundy shade of Krylon compares to the darker red hull of the boat. If it is a close enough match I think I am just going to spray red over the black spots of ABS that was painted on. This way there will be slightly different coloured patches rather than black spots. That will be a good enough fix for me.

Thanks,
Dave

PostPosted: March 27th, 2011, 7:20 pm 

Prime it with the plastic primer and anything will stick to it.

If you prime it your patches won't come out dark. (because of the black ABS)

Canoeheadted.

PostPosted: March 27th, 2011, 8:14 pm 

I can make you a spray bomb, of any color you want. Should be about 30 bucks each plus tax. IF you bring me your boat i can scan that. May have to work a bit to try and get the finish right. Im in orillia.

PostPosted: March 29th, 2011, 7:50 pm 

Hi

Lots of good ideas here to help you.

Do you really want to add bits of toxic paint to the river ? The best paints are usually the most toxic,, and will give the best results if applied properly.

My suggestion is to use a tinted epoxy putter/filler in only the areas that are most worn. This can give good results with careful application.

I think the wear tear on a WW canoe as esthetically pleasing to my eye.

Karl

PostPosted: March 30th, 2011, 10:09 am 

Thanks ray

I will probably be sending you a pm closer closer to the summer

Dave

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2019, 3:06 pm 

A good ol post, wonder if i can jump in and ask if this primer and plastic paint will stick to oldet gflex and abs paste repairs like it would stick to the rest of the hull?

PostPosted: May 28th, 2019, 8:40 am 

Keep the boat in the water as much as possible and nobody will notice that it needs a paint job!

I have covered deep scratches in my red Royalex boats by dissolving red LEGO blocks in acetone and painting the resulting slurry over the scratches. It looks very similar in color to the red Royalex. I would not bother painting the whole boat with any kind of paint!

PostPosted: May 28th, 2019, 9:18 am 

dissolving red LEGO blocks in acetone and painting the resulting slurry over the scratches. It looks very similar in color to the red Royalex.

Love it! That is excellent advice. I've done something similar for various repairs around the house where commercial fillers don't work or don't exist. Usually using various pieces of vinyl or polystyrene sprue but Colour matching with Lego blocks is brilliant.

Not that i have a Royalex boat, but thats a great tip!

Bruce

PostPosted: May 30th, 2019, 1:53 pm 

Canoeheadted wrote:
Dave, spray bombing a whole boat will take a lot of product and time.

If it's just a patch then I would spray bomb.

If I have to repaint a whole boat I will do all the same prep and then paint with a litre of marine grade paint using a 3-4" roller. You'll get 2-3 coats rolled on and have a little for touch up later.

This boat will be used and scratched. No sense putting too much money and stress into the fix. A simple paint job and touch up as needed.

Yes to everything Ted wrote.

I have spray bombed entire canoe hulls. Never again.

It took at least two, sometimes three cans of spray paint to cover the entire hull with a single coat. Working outdoors the slightest breeze was a spray-blown-away interference, working indoors the entire shop was covered in an aerosolized cloud even with an exhaust fan running. My shop floor was pink for a while from a red canoe. Spray paint seems to leave a very thin coat which scratches through at first blush. Multiple coats means four-five-six cans of spray paint, and if you try to spray it on thick will leave drips and sags.

I am a lousy painter, but using a small short nap foam roller to roll out half the hull, from keel line to gunwale, tipping that side out with a foam brush and repeating the process on the other side has produced the best results for me.

The plastic primer sounds interesting; I have never used it. I’ve used Krylon Fusion spray (and other “spray paints for plastic”) and have not been impressed. I have used two-part epoxy paints (Interlux) on some composite hulls, but gawd that stuff gets pricey, and the expensive leftovers don’t age well.

I’ve used one-part (EZPoxy) polyurethane paints on composite hulls and will continue to do so with some boats. It comes in a wide range of colors, but runs at least $26 a quart (plus shipping).

https://www.boatersland.com/peteasypoxy ... gKrUPD_BwE

It does seem more scratch resistant than $8 a quart enamel, but it’s still gonna scratch up, especially on a bashed around playboat.

For a well-used plastic playboat I would try the least expensive option, and touch it up as needed.