View topic - COLD CRACKS INFO NEEDED,,,help.

It is currently September 30th, 2020, 11:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 19th, 2012, 8:19 pm 

HI ALL

i just baught myself a mad river explorer 16

in royalex.
wood trim
web seat
beige.
still in good condition.

BUT there is one cold crack in front..frome the gunwall going down its about 8 inch long...its nice and clean but still.
where can i see more info about this repare...?

the easyes way to repare this..and not to expensive please.

thanks a lot for any info.

it will be my next fly fishing vessel.

cant wait to finish restore the wood gunwall and repare that crack.

joco

PostPosted: April 20th, 2012, 12:39 am 

I have a similar crack although mine was the result of a dramatic impact. Mine went about 4 inches down from the screw hole.

It was repaired only with epoxy, like your it was a very clean crack hardly visible if not for the epoxy (the crack it through both layers of plastic). The boat hasn't been used much since then but I never saw any sign of it letting go. Perhaps epoxy with a bit of cloth for added strength? I did drill a very small hole in the end of the break to keep it from spreading.

PostPosted: April 20th, 2012, 5:09 am 

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/repairing- ... lex-epoxy/

PostPosted: April 20th, 2012, 7:58 am 

Methacrylate adhesives will do a better job than epoxy, among which Plexus from Jamestown Distributors is a good choice. You'll want a quick cure time and maximum flex, so AO 420 is a good choice.

Jamesown catalogs 1 oz and 380 ml containers, the latter requiring an expensive applicator gun inappropriate to home shops, but they also have mid sized carts that work in the more usual caulk gun. Try online or call.

Joco, you must know; double dipping, broadcasting the same RFI to several forums is a nefarious activity about to be investigated by the US House of Representatives Cmte on Unpadderly Affairs.

PostPosted: April 20th, 2012, 10:41 am 

several forums is a nefarious activity about to be investigated by the US House of Representatives Cmte on Unpadderly Affairs.

whats that about.....off course i ask the same question on few site..every site as deferent people..ok some are the same but still.i can get more answers.....wow...i dont no what that meen.

so we are not able to ask the same question all over..? this is weird and is a none sense.

thanks for the answer taugh..and hope to get more .

i trully want to repare that crack..but i want to be nice and good and not to expensive.

joco

PostPosted: April 20th, 2012, 7:26 pm 

Nice and Good and Inexpensive seldom fit together well. Good luck with that!

Last edited by Charlie Wilson on April 23rd, 2012, 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 20th, 2012, 7:53 pm 

joco wrote:
several forums is a nefarious activity about to be investigated by the US House of Representatives Cmte on Unpadderly Affairs.

whats that about.....off course i ask the same question on few site..every site as deferent people..ok some are the same but still.i can get more answers.....wow...i dont no what that meen.

so we are not able to ask the same question all over..? this is weird and is a none sense.

thanks for the answer taugh..and hope to get more .

i trully want to repare that crack..but i want to be nice and good and not to expensive.

joco

Of course you can ask on several forums. I try not to answer on several forums..it would be confusing with all my aliases.

Not everyone in the paddling community visits all forums..
:rofl:

As for this committee US House of Representatives Cmte on Unpadderly Affairs its common knowledge in the US that the House mostly needs a paddling to get its affairs in order.

Perhaps Quebec is different.

PostPosted: April 20th, 2012, 8:06 pm 

I would grind away 2" all around the crack just enough to dish the outer layer.
Repeat on inside.
Stop before getting to the foam.
Use a dremel or knife to cut open the crack into a larger V and cut away all the loose and dirty shavings.
Use epoxy and microballoons to fill the crack and flush it to the top of the V. You could probably use fine sawdust shavings instead of microballoons.
Now you've created a mini I-beam.
Sand smooth once hard.
Precut some fiberglass cloth and round the edges for a neater final product. 3 patches inside and 3 outside.
Brush on some epoxy resin first then put one patch down and wet it out. Brush on a little more and lay down and wet out the second layer. Repeat again with the third layer. Although you want to wet the cloth you don't want to over saturate it as it will just run.
With the outside you can tape on some saran wrap to keep the end result smooth. Peel off once the resin has gone off but not fully cured.
For the inside, just leave them as is.
Sand when everything is sufficiently hard
Once the patch is hard then brush on two layers of just resin. This will fill in the weave and smooth things out. Again, more is not better.
After a complete cure then spray bomb with some Krylon.

This is just what works for me. I've repaired a few boats this way. Here's a shot of one...

Canoeheadted

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2012, 7:50 pm 

Dear Joco;

I took a jocular tone in responding to Joco’s multiple forum questions about repairing cold cracks.

The “House Cmte on Unpadderly Affairs” references the House Cmte on Un-American Affairs which held a sordid witch hunt for communists in the early 1950s. The Cmte was much discredited and remains a stain on US political action to this day.

A little reading on twentieth century politics and consideration of whether the US House might be interested in Paddlesport should put my comments in perspective.

Obviously, there is no Cmte on UnPadderly Affairs. The second part of my response, after answering the question as an experienced boat builder, was intended as fun: a joke to be shared by the paddlesport community.

Your syntax suggests a first language other than English, and humor is the hardest thing to translate between languages.

I deeply regret that my comments might have been received any way other than humorously. The fact I continue to respond to your other queries indicates I have no ill will towards you at all.

Sincerely,

Charlie Wilson

PostPosted: April 24th, 2012, 5:04 am 

Charlie Wilson

thanks.

but i never took it wrong.....just weird....but it might be possible that i cant post in a few site.

like i said many dont look at all site...but there some great paddlers on all site that have great info and experience.

it could be a bit,,,,,,,, to see a guy post the same thing on 2-3 site...but it can help others on few site to.

yes french is my first language...and the worst part i dont writh better in french,,hahahahaha.

thanks for all response.

i still wait to wait what i will do and what product i will take.

do a v on both side.......or only on the inside.....inside would be nicer..but would it be strong anught.?

and after refinsiall the wood part.

pict will follow

thanks again to all.

joco

PostPosted: April 26th, 2012, 8:29 pm 

anyone try that stuff..??

http://www.permatex.com/products/Automo ... c_Weld.htm

i try to get plexus ma410 or gflex in ottawa region..none to be found and want to this as soon as posible.

so might have found that stuff.

unles somebody as a better ideal to fix those crack.

thanks for all response.

joco

PostPosted: April 28th, 2012, 6:00 pm 

i have so mutch about this in the past its insane hahaha

you sher have to read carefully..some dont stick mutch on abs...so not good on royalex.

i was thinking...TIME..to me...it would be hard to go a great job and make sher it wnter side to side wiout having air stuck inside....so those 2-5min is a bit short off time for a 10 inch crack i think.

very hard to get some west systems kit here for royalex....

so i can get those in one shop here so now i have to choice betwen those 3.

wet-bond wit tek flex.
PC-11 or super epxoy pc
jb marine weld

..any info on those is welcome.

joco

PostPosted: April 29th, 2012, 10:54 am 

I dunno about those.... since you're Ottawa, Canadian Tire should have real epoxy in small quantities and maybe fiberglass... if you must buy on the ground.

Noah's Marine in Toronto will deliver anywhere in Canada, they should be able to get a repair kit to you quickly.

http://www.noahsboatbuilding.com/contact.asp?url=CT

PostPosted: April 29th, 2012, 11:15 am 

...Noah's repairs page with G-flex and West epoxy kits... the fiberglass might need to be added on.

http://www.noahsboatbuilding.com/items. ... TpStatus=1

PostPosted: May 10th, 2012, 7:21 pm 

I've never seen a cold crack before.

I'm more interested in how to prevent this from happening!

I have a R-Lite Novacraft that I have always stored inside an unheated garage all winter. I assume these cold cracks are from being stored outdoors in freezing temperatures?

Interested to hear more about this.