View topic - Another kevlar canoe repair, major rebuild

It is currently September 22nd, 2019, 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: September 26th, 2013, 10:45 am 

RHaslam wrote:
Had a look at Gilpatrik's book...unless he has included full size plans, tje one's in my book need to be blown up...think it's a 200 percent enlargement.

This book is brand new, "second edition, revised and expanded"
Also has "Full Size Plans!" in bold, top right of the cover.
Full size plans for 8 canoes, paddle, yoke, thrwarts and stem ends for the strongback.

He also has a half page defending why he does not use stems. :wink:

PostPosted: September 26th, 2013, 11:36 am 

Read canoecraft before you decide. If I remember correctly, Gilpatrick recommends using yellow nylon rope for skid plate types of things too. I'm not questioning the functionality of his designs, but if you are going to go through all that labour, why not make something that looks half way decent. The canoe below has internal and external stems. I think it adds some panache.

PostPosted: September 26th, 2013, 2:39 pm 

Get canoe craft. - read it.

Build a stripper with whichever method you prefer.

Wax it up and take a couple other hulls off the plug.

At this point you will be a half-decent canoe builder with a good appreciation for the type of work involved. Then look at your 'other project' and decide if its worth it.

http://bearmountainboats.com/ check out the forums here for more details.

Last edited by Dan. on September 26th, 2013, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 26th, 2013, 2:40 pm 

Just got a major piece of the puzzle, in fact I should be able to make better patterns for bending the ribs. and get info on the exact types of resin, paint and wood used.

Quote:
Hi Mark:

The canoe was built by Lealand Rowat in Elmvale. It was modeled after the Prospector Canoe. Lealand does not have any more of them to my knowledge and has stopped making them a number of years ago. You are right that I have two of Lealand’s canoe’s. One is identical to yours in shape and size and made of Kevlar while the other is a light weight uni-body Kevlar with no keel and a little sleeker and meant more for river tripping. I cannot remember if the one Frank bought was Kevlar or not. They are a beautiful canoe and still my favourite for the eye appeal and pleasure it gives me when I use it. I am pleased that you are considering restoring it. I can help you a little with some of the steps/technique on how it is done as I watched Lealand working a little on them and I also have a very good steam box for heating the cedar ribs and front and back stem bands for bending and would be glad to lend it to you for as long a you want to use it. You will need some clear cedar for ripping out the ribs. I believe the gunnels and stem bands are made of oak but would need to confirm that with Lealand. We are still very good friends and talk to each other every couple of months.

If you wish to talk with Lealand, his number is 705-XXX-XXXX. I am sure he would be pleased to hear that you want to restore it. Your skill in cabinet carpentry is going to come in handy here. Keep in touch or a visit if you want to see one in excellent shape.
cheers
Leo

He made the canoes for this trip.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1 ... 81,2782858

I quite sure looking at construction methods that this is a modified hybrid birch bark canoe, using glass as a skin.
When I visit Leo I'll post pics of his canoes.

PostPosted: September 26th, 2013, 3:22 pm 

Nice find! Lealand sounds like an interesting guy, let us know what he has to say!

PostPosted: September 26th, 2013, 3:42 pm 

RHaslam wrote:
I think it adds some panache.

Boootiful, RH, just bootiful!! :thumbup: (panache??? Isn't that a lake near Sudbury? :doh: )

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: September 26th, 2013, 5:09 pm 

I do plan to read Canoecraft, I'm the type to research every aspect, then choose my own path. Just from your pic I like your strongback better than the one in Gilpatrick's book. Looks easier to store to boot, I'll have to hang it from the ceiling so it can be out of the way during the work day.

The plan tentatively is to build a 18-20' strip and restore this one.

PostPosted: September 27th, 2013, 9:15 am 

homeschool_canoe wrote:
The canoe was built by Lealand Rowat in Elmvale. It was modeled after the Prospector Canoe. Lealand does not have any more of them to my knowledge and has stopped making them a number of years ago. You are right that I have two of Lealand’s canoe’s. One is identical to yours in shape and size and made of Kevlar while the other is a light weight uni-body Kevlar with no keel and a little sleeker and meant more for river tripping. I cannot remember if the one Frank bought was Kevlar or not. They are a beautiful canoe and still my favourite for the eye appeal and pleasure it gives me when I use it. I am pleased that you are considering restoring it. I can help you a little with some of the steps/technique on how it is done as I watched Lealand working a little on them and I also have a very good steam box for heating the cedar ribs and front and back stem bands for bending and would be glad to lend it to you for as long a you want to use it. You will need some clear cedar for ripping out the ribs. I believe the gunnels and stem bands are made of oak but would need to confirm that with Lealand. We are still very good friends and talk to each other every couple of months.

If you wish to talk with Lealand, his number is 705-XXX-XXXX. I am sure he would be pleased to hear that you want to restore it. Your skill in cabinet carpentry is going to come in handy here. Keep in touch or a visit if you want to see one in excellent shape.
cheers
Leo

Kick-ass! :thumbup: That's the kind of info I figured was out there somewhere. I don't ever recall running across the name Lealand Rowat, but I'll have add it to the records I have.

Once again, I hope you will keep us informed about your restoration process.

PK

PostPosted: September 27th, 2013, 1:26 pm 

I was talking to my mom, the canoe was a Christmas or birthday present for my dad. Leo delivered it to dad in February. Great news is it is definitely Kevlar, she paid extra for it. Cost $700 in late 70's dollars, that was a lot of bones back then.

Leo was always at our place back then, he was always fond of my dad. We had a house on Chandos lake so he almost always had a canoe with him when he came up. I know he will help in every way he can with this project.

PostPosted: September 27th, 2013, 4:13 pm 

homeschool_canoe wrote:
The plan tentatively is to build a 18-20' strip and restore this one.

IMHO, that's a great plan and I look forward to reading about both projects. I gotta say, I sure like the tone at this end of the thread compared to what was expressed initially. Those giving advice were doing so honestly, but things have since taken a much more positive aspect.
Bryan

PostPosted: September 27th, 2013, 4:32 pm 

Just out of curiosity, was there a connection to Stayner, or was that a false lead at the beginning?

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: September 27th, 2013, 5:35 pm 

wotrock wrote:
Just out of curiosity, was there a connection to Stayner, or was that a false lead at the beginning?

My bad, at the time Leo lived in Stayner. About 30 minutes from Elmvale.

PostPosted: September 29th, 2013, 2:30 pm 

Wow...progress is/will fly on this.

Leo is "lending" me his steam box, he said it might be mine as he doubts if he'll need it again. Very large 10' with a pro looking electric steam bottle. That saves me a load of time.
He is also lending me his canoe to take patterns from...this he will want back;)

Getting this stuff next weekend if the weather cooperates.

PostPosted: September 29th, 2013, 3:21 pm 

There you go. You can start making rib blanks in the meantime, cutting them to length and trmming the tops on the rib edge that will go to the middle of the canoe to remove cant from the ribs once installed. Then fire up the steam box and start bending the ribs over the old canoe a rib or so further to the end than the rib you intend to replace to make up for the thickness of the rib and the kevlar. Pretty soon you'll be installing new ribs and truing up your hull.

Good luck,

PK

PostPosted: October 7th, 2013, 11:41 am 

I got Leo's canoe sure is nice to have an exact pattern. :thumbup:
I have his canoe till May-ish.
The steam box needs a little work, I'm insulating it to retain heat better. The steam bottle works, but needs a whole hour to start making steam. This is full with cold water, I'll try hot water when I go at it.

Right now I'm still researching and learning, this is a winter project so I won't be going right at it till the snow flies. I'll try to post some pic's later.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next