View topic - Which ultralight 16' Prospector to buy?

It is currently September 16th, 2019, 8:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 16th, 2019, 4:09 pm 

So I'm looking for opinions and recommendations as to which 16' Prospector is best and why?
We have a 16' (15'9") kevlar Clipper Prospector which is a fabulous boat but way too heavy at 61lbs.
Even their ultralight at 50lbs (very rare they make their claimed specs) would still be way too heavy.

Who has the lightest with what layup? (I want sub 40lbs!)
Who has the largest as we need room? (two adults and two dogs tripping)
Who has the stiffest hull? (I can't stand a flexible boat)

So far, Swift seems to tick all the boxes. Does anyone have an ultralight in this boat?
34b Carbon Fusion would be first choice then 37lb Kevlar Fusion would be next in line.
Sadly, an older Swift Winisk did not impress me as far as build quality and boat stiffness.

I'm an epoxy fan too so Souris River's 40b 16' Prospector could be in the running even with the additional weight.

Savage River's 30-32lb 16' 6" Deep Creek seems great on paper too but who has that boat?

Thanks in advance if you can help us out.

PostPosted: April 17th, 2019, 1:32 pm 

We too are shopping for a super light canoe in the neighbourhood of 16 ft. currently paddling a 16.6 Langford from ~20 years ago. Fabulous canoe at 50 lbs (even with the wood gunnels). We've had it on northern Georgian Bay on waters not suitable for an open canoe. It takes the big water amazingly.
Now we want something light for portaging, while we keep the Langford for the big water.
The new Langfords are not significantly lighter.

Did a test drive afternoon at Swift last summer. After the 4th boat, we finally figured out the question to ask, "How tippy is it?" We want the least stable - - e.g. a canoe with very low initial stability and high secondary stability. Nearly all the new - lightweight canoes are made for weekend people who have little experience or skill. Flat bottoms. They paddle like a bathtub.

I'm not in a hurry to get anywhere, but I don’t want to waste energy paddling a ‘slow’ boat. The Swift Mattawa seemed to have best prospects...but have not picked anything yet. This and some of their other models are not stocked, so once we decide we’ll have to order it and wait to have it made for us.

I think the bottom line is you are not going to get an efficiently paddling boat ‘off the shelf’. Just look at the bottoms of any brand while they sit on the rack…flat is slow.

Let go of the idea of Prospector… we also learned that this means nothing in terms of design. Anyone can use the word for any shape of canoe.

PostPosted: April 19th, 2019, 10:31 am 

Thanks for the reply RP.
Did you try out a Prospector? Any of the ultralight layups? Did they feel flimsy?

I'm not in any hurry either but I don't mind paddling something less efficient for the "all around" benefits.
When tripping I want a light and larger hull.
When at home I want a light,stable, and symmetrical hull for me and one or two dogs. Solo or tandem.
I'm a poler as well so I want stable and symmetrical.

I understand the vagueness of a "Prospector" but I do want the F150 of the paddling world.
I also do understand boat design, so yes, I am looking for a Prospector shaped hull.

Come on! Someone help me out!
...Please.

PostPosted: April 24th, 2019, 10:55 am 

I got a swift prospector 15 last year in Ul kev. And demoed the 16. We haven't paddled it much but I was happy with all my test paddles. Its sub 40 lbs.

I also have a winisk in carbon about 6 years old. I di t like the flex in the boat because it squeaks but it has been an awesome tripper and we have quite a few miles on it. The newer swift carbon layups seem to have resolved the flex issues. But dont take that as gospel.

PostPosted: April 24th, 2019, 11:56 am 

I am about to take delivery of my New H20 16'4 Prospector, I went with the carbon innegra layup, I wanted ultra light, but very strong and impact resistant, it will come in at 36lbs. I looked at many manufactures and paddled many different models and decided H20 was the one for me. They also have a 15'4 that weighs in at 30lbs, but I decided the extra foot didn't matter to me and I am happy with 36lbs. Before you purchase, give them a try, you will really like the product.

Note: The base weight for my 16'4 is 33lbs , my extras put it to 36lbs and this is in the EPS catagory (Epoxy Pro Series)

Happy Shopping!

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey

PostPosted: April 24th, 2019, 12:10 pm 

we need pics...

PostPosted: April 26th, 2019, 11:53 pm 

Gnatwest, Thanks for your input. This is what I'm looking for.

CC, Thanks for your suggestions. I never even thought of H2O canoes.

Test paddling these makes is damn near impossible out west.
We talk about taking a trip to the Holy Land (Algonquin) and purchasing our ultralight while we are out east.
But yah, it's hard to shell out big cash for a design and layup that isn't familiar.

So all this being said... the canoe gods have just given us a gift.
Yesterday, my brother called me let us know of some people that were getting rid of their canoe before moving south.
I called them and they were selling an ultralight 16' Clipper Prospector! :o

We are now the new owners!
Unfortunately we can't pick it up till June so I'm counting sleeps.
It's not the lowest weight but it is the design we really like and now we have it 9lbs lighter! :thumbup:

Anyone looking for a 16' emerald green kevlar Clipper Prospector?

PostPosted: April 29th, 2019, 12:38 pm 

Martin Bernardin, the owner of Kisseynew Canoe, is an engineer and canoeist who builds very high quality light weight canoes in Air Ronge (just south of La Ronge, SK). I have owned his Prospector 16 (WL 16', overall 16'7") for two years and tomorrow I am picking up his Prospector 15 (overall 15'6"). Martin and various models of his canoes have done well in races including the Yukon Canoe Quest. Kisseynewcanoecompany.com