View topic - Stripper Delamination

It is currently September 17th, 2019, 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Stripper Delamination
PostPosted: April 20th, 2019, 10:19 am 

I am looking for ideas / suggestions on repairing my 18 year old stripper canoe. It is a 15 1/2 foot Bob Special made of Western Red cedar using 6 oz cloth and West System Epoxy .

Two years ago after applying varnish several longitudinal bubbles appeared on the bottom exterior ( 2 to 3 inches wide and 2 to 3 feet long) . The cloth has become separated from the wood. I suspect it occurred because I varnished it in the garage left the door open, went on to something else, and as the afternoon went on the sun shone on it and caused the separation.

I suppose the correct way to do it would be to remove the entire cloth and start over again, but not sure I'm up to that, this would be my last resort. I was thinking of removing the area below the water line and lay new cloth and epoxy.

I would like to hear from anyone who has attempted this type of fix, or has thoughts, ideas, or suggestions on how to best tackle this repair.

Thanks

moe

PostPosted: April 20th, 2019, 4:58 pm 

Sun or varnish shouldnt cause delamination. All cases of delamination I have experienced have been impact related. you can cut the delaminated pieces off, put patches in and then cover with more patches. Trying to strip all of the glass off the hull will be very difficult. Epoxy resin binds with the wood under it. Polyester resin will usually peel off easily. I tried to strip the glass off one of my strippers and met with poor results, even with the use of a blow torch. Do you have any pictures?

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2019, 8:48 am 

I have had to sand off the exterior fibreglass and completely refinish our cedar strip once. Ended up using a belt sander to take off the fibreglass. I have since heard of stripping the old fibreglass using a heat gun but haven't tried that myself. In that case a few cracks had shown up through the cloth and in peeling off the loose sections, the sections got big enough I decided I needed to to the whole thing.

I have also made a few patches over the years. In those cases, I cut out the loose section, sand the edges both to blend in and to make sure I've really gotten rid of all the loose cloth. Cut a roundish/ovalish piece of cloth for the patch and apply the epoxy. I'll sand the edges after the first or second coat to blend into the hull, then apply a final epoxy coat. By the time it's varnished you have to go looking for the patch to find it.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2019, 12:04 pm 

Hi Moe, as mentioned sanding the entire hull will take some time. You can easily just peel/sand off the effected areas and relay the cloth and epoxy. No need to strip the entire bottom. Apply a thin layer of epoxy down and wait for it to 'kick' when it feels tacky, then apply your first layer of cloth and wet it out, this will help to ensure no future delamination.

Good luck!

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2019, 6:42 pm 

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, tips, and experiences. Based on input it would appear the best course of action should probably be fixing each area on it's own. Unfortunately I have no pictures to post at this time as the canoe is put away for winter but once I get it out I will look at it more closely paying close attention to the condition of the strips where the delamination has taken place and look for evidence of collision damage. I will also post some pictures.

I'm certain I'll be back for more advice once I have a good look at the damaged areas, and I certainly welcome advice and information.

cheers and have a great day.

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2019, 8:28 am 

Hey Moe,

It looks like we might be fairly close. If you wanted, I could probably take a look at it with you and give you a better idea of how much it looks like some of the repairs I've done to mine.

My cedar strip is up at the cottage right now or I'd invite you over to take a look and see how the patches I've done have blended in.

PostPosted: April 24th, 2019, 7:59 am 

Hi Splake, that sounds like a good idea. I'll leave my number and if you could call me we can make arrangements for when I get my canoe out.. (xxx) xxx-xxxxx.

thanks