View topic - Saskatchewan Canoe Company

It is currently September 23rd, 2019, 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 19th, 2019, 9:05 am 

Never heard of these guys. Pricey!

https://www.kisseynewcanoecompany.com/

PostPosted: May 19th, 2019, 2:36 pm 

There was a great article on CBC Saskatchewan about two weeks ago regarding the history of Kisseynew. I paddled against Martin in the 2005 SCCQ...then with him in the 2007 YRQ. Fantastic guy and makes amazing boats. For those interested, watch for the results of the Dene guys from Hatchet Lake this year...they are paddling a voyageur boat he is finishing up. As well, watch how Mike Vincent and Ivan English do, they are in one of Martin's tandem boats. There will probably be a handful of Kisseynew boats up there this year. I also noticed on their website that Eb's in Saskatoon is starting to carry Kisseynew recreational boats.

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2019, 8:37 am 

I got to see at least one of their canoes at the Saskatchewan Paddling Symposium in 2015. They are built by actual canoeists. They're building them in LaRonge, which as about 2 hours of driving up into the green part of the provincial flag.

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2019, 4:30 am 

Kisseynew makes the nicest canoes that I have ever paddled, hands down. I'm most familiar with their Nistowiak canoe (16', 7") and it's my favourite canoe. The Saskatoon Canoe Club has one for the last 2 years and it looks brand new and it's standing up to the serious abuse of club use by 1600+ members. I'm one of the guys that looks after the club's equipment and whenever a new paddler asks me for a suggestion of which canoe to paddle for an outing (most are just an hour or two), I point them to the Nistowiak. It's light, stable enough for most beginners even unloaded, and handles well. I lead daytrips for the club and have paddled it a few times with beginner paddlers in the bow and have been happy with how it feels.

As someone responsible for fixing the club's gear, I appreciate that it is standing up to wear and tear extremely well. I wish I could say the same for some of our other high-end canoes. Although I'm not experienced with the racing canoes, the folks in the Marathon side of the club seem to be loving Kisseynew's racing canoe.

I paddled the Nistowiak a couple of years ago for a few days when Martin sent one along with me to try out on a family trip to McLennan Lake area. We all loved it.

*Disclaimer: Martin and Heather are my friends. Martin runs Kisseynew and Heather runs Montreal River Outpost, the attached paddling & camping store. My good friend Mark works in Martin's shop and helps build the canoes. I was in the boatbuilding shop about 15 hours ago, actually. So, I'm quite biased. :)

If you are heading north through La Ronge/Air Ronge, be sure to stop in to Montreal River Outpost and check out the boatbuilding happening at Kisseynew.

Cheers,
Bryan