View topic - Stripper Keel / Stem Repair. Easiest / Best Method?

It is currently November 13th, 2019, 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2019, 6:03 am 

Sounds good to me, and very similar to what I do. You shouldn't need to heat the stem band, I just bend them by hand, maybe give the 90 degree bend a whack with a rubber mallet if it doesn't lay perfectly flat. The sharp bend between the holes is the right thing to do as well.

PostPosted: July 27th, 2019, 2:38 pm 

All done! Better late than never, but now I won't have to do a repair like this again.

https://imgur.com/a/fi8aTxI

Two glass layers on the keel ends, then I sanded the whole body and put three fresh poly layers on while I was at it. I ended up using the torch to make bending the brass easier, sanded and polished it, then added Amazing Goop Marine to the screw holes and screw threads: the marine version is sustainable under the waterline. Couldn't be happier with how it all came out.

Of course as I turned the canoe over I could see a smaaaaall spot on the inside that's starting to delaminate, but I'm not gonna worry about it right now. Time to enjoy the water!

PostPosted: July 28th, 2019, 7:58 am 

Looks Great!

PostPosted: August 1st, 2019, 5:11 pm 

Well I'm suddenly confused, slightly concerned. Had a hard rain around here, which can be normal, but when I looked at my canoe the next morning, I could see the poly clouding on the bottom of the canoe specifically in places where the rainwater was still sitting as droplets. It was only on the very bottom of the canoe (facing up of course). When I dried it, the cloudiness went away in about an hour. I've never seen this behavior on a finish before; it's the same exact stuff I've used on the canoe in the past (Minwax Helmsman, Clear).

It's been humid around here, but it's also been several weeks since I put the last coat on. Any idea why the poly is trapping and then releasing moisture when it should be rock solid by now?