View topic - Kevlar skid plate removal and replacement

It is currently August 20th, 2019, 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 30th, 2019, 2:56 pm 

Not gonna happen.

I had a friend’s OT Appalachian come into the shop last week, with the promise that I would try to remove the (horribly installed, pockmarked and creviced) kevlar felt skid plates. I tried, not gonna happen without making a huge mess.

A couple of recent threads on another board, recounting efforts to remove old urethane resin kev felt skid plates, was enough to dissuade me. The post-removal underlying surface remains so rough, resin residued high or vinyl skin peeled off so low, that it wasn’t worth the effort; the only material that would have recovered the fugly remains “smoothly” would have been another layer of (better installed, pigmented) kevlar felt. And that just wasn’t worth the effort.

The edges of the Appalachian’s horrible skid plate were unsightly wobbly drippy thick and tall in catch-a-rock transition edge.

ImageP5260024 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

ImageP5260025 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Best solution I could figure was to chisel off/file down the drips, sand the surface high spots more flush, clamp the canoe over on its side and lay a bead of silica and graphite thickened G/flex epoxy along the tall transition edge as a bevel.

ImageP5270028 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

ImageP5270030 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

And then lay a coat of 10% graphite powdered G/flex epoxy slurry over the entire skid plate. It took at least 2oz of G/flex just to top coat both skid plates, but was worth it.

ImageP5270033 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

It’s not perfect, and it ain’t Dynel, but it is a lot smoother and beveled-edged straighter lined than it once was. And it is graphite powder black and slippery.

ImageP5280035 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

I had high hopes that I could chisel or grind off the better installed urethane resin kevlar felt skid plates on our Explorer and Penobscot. Also not gonna happen, but at least the beloved Penobscot solo is eventually getting a slippery black graphite powder and G/flex top coat.

I still dislike kevlar felt skid plates, more now that I know how much work would be involved in removing them, but may have a way to make them at least less fugly.