View topic - Trailhead Prospector 17 VS Esquif Prospector 17

It is currently September 22nd, 2019, 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2019, 9:10 am 

Hi

Does anyone knows the different between Trailhead Prospector 17´ T-Formex VS Esquif Prospector 17´ T-Formex?

cheers

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2019, 1:21 pm 

Could very well be that Trailhead is made by Esquif since they don't make their own. Maybe ask Trailhead who makes theirs to see if they'll tell you.

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2019, 1:23 pm 

I have a Trailhead P16 Royalex and it definitely does not seem to be Esquif because the rocker is not very pronounced. It is maybe 8 years old (bought when Trailhead and Paddle Shack merged whenever that was)

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2019, 2:02 pm 

In my experience, the Esquif is a wet ride in class 2+.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2019, 6:46 am 

I think the mold is the same all these years with different manufacturers

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2019, 8:11 am 

Well my Nova Craft P16 Royalex definitely did not come out of the same mold as my Trailhead P16 Royalex. They are very similar but the beam on the Trailhead is 2 to 3 inches narrower

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2019, 8:44 am 

I know that Trailhead and Swift Royalex Prospectors came off the same molds but I think NovaCraft built their own mold.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2019, 11:23 am 

Swift makes all the Trailhead branded composite boats - they even put a "Swift" badge on them - was just looking at them last week or the week before. So I guess Swift must make the T-Formex ones too? I didn't even know Swift did T-Formex

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2019, 11:56 am 

Hmmm - on the individual canoe pages they only list Expedition Kevlar layups for the Prospector 16 & 17 and the Dumoine but on the price list they including a T-Formex price. I'm not sure that Swift does the molding for the T-Formex ones. I wouldn't be surprised if they contracted that to Esquif.

PostPosted: June 5th, 2019, 6:38 am 

trailhead told me is the same mold but esquif have more rocker than trailhead is better for white water.

PostPosted: June 5th, 2019, 10:16 am 

I have an Esquif Prospecteur 17 that is about 8-9 years old. I frequently canoe trip with another guy that owns a Trailhead Prospector 17 that is about 15-20 years old. Assuming Trailhead is still using the same mold, I can provide a pretty good comparison since I have paddled both on several occasions, including back to back on several occasions over the years.

The Esquif definitely has more rocker and turns better. It also has more flair in the bow and is drier. The stern seat in the Esquif is MUCH closer to centre then the Trailhead. I moved my bow seat back as the paddling station was a bit tight.

The Trailhead is a bit faster on the flats and I think it might have more volume.

These are two very similar canoes and the differences between them isn't as great as say a Prospector and an Esquif Canyon. You can do the same trips with either canoe.

I don't find my canoe wet. It is perfectly acceptable in class III with a load if you pick clean/dry lines. One complaint I do have is that the bottom is quite flat. This makes the Esquif a stable canoe, but you have to really lean to put tilt on the canoe when eddying in/out.

If you favour whitewater performance over flatwater a Starburst or Canyon would be a better choice. But for mixed use tripping the Esquif and Trailhead Prospectors are both great.

PostPosted: June 6th, 2019, 6:50 am 

Trailhead told me the same...esquif is better for whiwater but their boat is faster in flat water.

I think I prefer esquif...does anyone knows between 17 and 16 foot is the same design? I need to extra leg room in the bow.

thank you,...