View topic - UV Damage Hull, Query

It is currently September 22nd, 2019, 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: UV Damage Hull, Query
PostPosted: June 20th, 2019, 9:50 pm 

Hello all!

I'm seeing Nova Craft fiberglass 16' Prospector with a very faded hull. Seller says UV damage.

Is this something that can easily be remedied? does it require being remedied? If so, advice? is it worth it?

Thanks!

Gary

PostPosted: June 21st, 2019, 7:01 am 

Pretty sure the gelcoat protects the integrity of the fiberglass, so unless there's evidence of UV exposure on the inside, the hull should be structurally sound.

You could use the canoe as is, or clean up the oxidation in the gelcoat with polishing compound and finish with a good boat wax.

I saw that canoe but thought there to be to much elbow grease required for the asking price.

PostPosted: June 21st, 2019, 7:27 am 

Fiberglass canoes have gel coat which protects the interior ( if stored in the usual way!). Oxidation does happen.. but its generally harmless and can be compounded out and shinied up.. A power unit makes the job pretty fast..
Its best seen in person.. Sometimes gelcoat is so old and crazed it flakes off.

PostPosted: June 21st, 2019, 7:50 am 

@littleredcanoe and @open_side_up, many thanks. Appreciate looking at it. It's an Ottawa sale. I'll have to drive up and see. I'm hoping to buy a new NC 15ft if that doesn't pan out my looking around will be useful. Thanks again.

PostPosted: June 21st, 2019, 2:30 pm 

Where are you located solowater? I think I saw that canoe ad, but what about something like this?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-water-sport/muskoka/scott-16-ft-whitewater-fibreglass-canoe-for-sale/1441901028?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Would this be as a solo boat, as you posted in the other forum?

PostPosted: June 21st, 2019, 6:19 pm 

Hey @Corbeau,

No, on both questions. The other one I went to see. His photo was doctored up, plus it weighed a ton.

This one is a Novo Craft 16' fiberglass in Ottawa. The hull is heavily faded.

(I'm in Montreal.)

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2019, 9:05 am 

What you want to be sure of... even if the owner states UV damage (?), is the hull still in a relatively intact state, structurally? Turning the canoe over and pressing down firmly everywhere with the heel of your hand should show something... any soft or mushy spots, or spots that make ominous brittle cracking noises when being pressed down won't be good news. Some soft spots might be repairable if they aren't large.

Fiberglass/resin goes cloudy when UV damaged, kevlar goes brown or dark with maybe some fuzzing up with abrasion. Still, it may only be thin surface deterioration and the structure may still be strong and resilient underneath. The so-called UV damage, if superficial, can be a reason to haggle down the price... saying things like... OMG... cripes... oh geez, willya look at that... how much money did you say... anyway... good luck.

:)

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2019, 1:15 pm 

Presuming it is faded gel coat there are marine products to remove oxidation from gel coat & glass, but anything that will work long term requires some elbow grease buffing and polishing to actually remove the oxidation. A “heavy duty” one:

https://www.autogeek.net/marine-31-gel- ... mover.html

As a wipe-on, wipe-off alternative I know a few folks who use Flood Penetrol

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/u ... do?pid=174

Advantages: Wipe on, wipe off. Available at most any hardware stores. Looks good for a while.

Disadvantages: Can’t really remove much oxidation with just a wipe. Aging Penetrol can look swipe & smearier worse a year later, depending on how lax your wiping efforts.

If boat is sound but the fade is aesthetically offensive faded-red pink you can always repaint the hull.