View topic - Canoe width - yoke replacement

It is currently November 15th, 2019, 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 25th, 2019, 7:10 pm 

Hello all. I’m in process of replacing all trim, seats and yoke on an old canoe I purchased last month. I believe that the canoe in question is a Bluewater saugeen 15, circa 1993.

Any specs I can find online about this canoe would lead me to believe that it should have be 35” wide beam but the old semi rotten trim has it at approximately 31”. I’ll be fitting gunwales, seats and yoke hopefully tomorrow night with the hopes of starting a nice week long solo trip early next week.

Assuming this hull was designed with a 35” beam in mind what would be the repercussions of using a borrower yoke? I understand that narrower will take away from stability but I’m more concerned about the hull. When I tested the boat before buying it it felt very loose although I assumed that was mainly to do with the gunwales being almost rotten and the seat hardware being pretty loose as well. But now I’m thinking that maybe the width of yoke may have had something to do with it.

This is my first time doing this type of work and I’m definitely NOT a carpenter but I’d like to ensure that despite my boat not looking immaculate that it performs well.

Any comments would be appreciated.

PostPosted: July 25th, 2019, 7:33 pm 

Can't remember where I read about shortening the yoke and the changes in the amount of 'tumblehome' of the hull even though the hull may not have been built that way. I really wish I could remember where to direct you to however I would caution about cutting too short at first - if it were me I would start closer to 35" and see if the hull can tolerate that spread and see what it looks like. I've done a bit of hobby woodworking.. many times I've thought wow I've cut this piece 3 times and it's STILL too short .

PostPosted: July 26th, 2019, 12:20 pm 

Like Niagara, I'd suggest putting in yoke and thwart that are correct width for the design. Not only will bringing in the gunwales change the tumblehome, it may also put additional stress on the hull layup, though I'm not sure 4" is enough to make a huge difference.
I'd replace seats and yoke to bring it back close to original spec.
Bruce

PostPosted: July 26th, 2019, 2:14 pm 

How sure are you that it is a Saugeen?

The Bluewater Peterborough 16 had a 31" gunwale width: http://abitibico.com/en/products/classi ... borough-16

PostPosted: July 26th, 2019, 7:03 pm 

The reason I believe it’s a saugeen 15 is because it’s 15 feet long. I believe that bluewater only made one 15 foot canoe and that was/is the saugeeen 15. But I’m open to suggestions lol. Unfortunately bluewater did not put the model name on their canoe. So other then a serial number which indicated to me year of manufacture and the fact it is in fact a bluewater canoe all I have are dimensions.

PostPosted: July 27th, 2019, 3:04 pm 

Niagara 1 wrote:
Can't remember where I read about shortening the yoke and the changes in the amount of 'tumblehome' of the hull even though the hull may not have been built that way. I really wish I could remember where to direct you to however I would caution about cutting too short at first - if it were me I would start closer to 35" and see if the hull can tolerate that spread and see what it looks like. I've done a bit of hobby woodworking.. many times I've thought wow I've cut this piece 3 times and it's STILL too short .

Shortening a 15-16ish foot canoe at the gunwale line by an inch or two does tuck in some tumblehome. There is an apprehension that it will hog the bottom or alter the rocker, but I’ve drawn in the gunwales on both composite and RX canoes by a couple inches with no hog of rocker change. Two inches over sixteen feet, especially tapered out from the center is some fractional/inconsequential amount of change.

I did tuck one widely flared composite hull in 4 inches; it put a lot of stress on the now-sharpened chines, and (not for the better) changed the stability.

Pulled in an inch or two max doesn’t seem to do much other than add some tumblehome and narrow the paddling station on a solo or solo-ized canoe.

PostPosted: July 30th, 2019, 7:20 am 

Thanks for everyone feedback. I played around with the width before installing the gunwales. At 35” it just didn’t look right. The hull itself when stripped down naturally want to be at around 31”and looks better then stretching it out at 35”...so whether this is in fact a saugeen 15 or not it is now 31” wide. I’ll be taking her out on her maiden tomorrow:)