View topic - Fibreglassing around tumblehome

It is currently September 21st, 2019, 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 27th, 2019, 7:38 am 

Hi all. New member here. First time building a cedar strip canoe, and about to start glassine the outside (easily the most intimidating step for me). The canoe is an Ashes Solo Day - fifteen foot solo, built towards the lighter end with 3/16 strips (hoping to hit under 35 pounds). The canoe has a fair bit of tumblehome in the mid section (curving maybe 2.5 to 3 inches out from the sheer line before turning back towards the bottom), and I am worried about getting the wet glass to follow that curve without wanting to lift and just hang straight down. Will have the same issue when I get to the interior, I guess. Using 6 ounce glass and West System 105/207 epoxy.

Is this going to be a genuine challenge or am I over-thinking things and the wet cloth will just follow the tumblehome with a bit of care and attention until it firms up? Are there any tips that would make this easier? I had thought about tilting the strongback and doing one side at a time (basically butt-joining two halves of cloth down the middle and covering the joint with a second layer over the football afterwards) but have never come across this approach - it seems doable but a bit extreme.

Any tips or advice greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

PostPosted: August 27th, 2019, 7:52 am 

Glassing the outside is perhaps one of the easiest parts of strip building. You have no worries, the glass will stick just rom the resin. The inside will be fine too. Remember to squeegie to save yourself sanding time later.

PostPosted: August 27th, 2019, 4:28 pm 

Thanks RHaslam - that is what I hoped. Will just go for it. Actually, everything about this build so far has been more difficult in my imagination than was actually the case once I got going - no reason fibreglass should be any different I guess. Thanks again

PostPosted: September 6th, 2019, 7:33 pm 

Just to close the loop on this, worked like a charm as you said it would RHaslam. Some streaks to be sanded after the squeegee, but doesn't look like not a big deal

PostPosted: September 8th, 2019, 4:34 am 

Hey for what it's worth, I love tumblehome. It can't be beat when you're on Big Water.

It's sad that the tumblehome flare isn't generally listed in any specs (IMHO).