View topic - Wabakimi - Allanwater Bridge to Armstrong - July/August

It is currently September 25th, 2020, 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 20th, 2020, 11:58 pm 

We have 3 people (or 4, if the missus agrees) ready to go for a trip from Allanwater Bridge, up the Allanwater River, and back down to the road to Armstrong. We're hoping to make it 4 or 6 people. It's currently booked for the last week of July and the first week of August. Most of us are coming from the GTA, so that eats the weekends on either side of it to get there and back. There's some flexibility with dates but not a whole heap of it. The one big expense question is whether or not we need aircraft to ferry us to Allanwater Bridge from Armstrong, which will depend on the availability of trains (and pilots) at the time.

If we can find someone/some people with whitewater experience (I personally have some class II technical experience but not a whole lot of it, the rest of us do not, and I have no formal "training"), great, but if not, there's portages around almost everything in the area, as the route options we've mapped out are all well traveled.

We're a few experienced wilderness travelers and navigators but with admittedly few whitewater stripes. We have a type 1 (read: insulin-dependent) diabetic, one anaphylactic allergy to macadamia nuts, and I myself am Red Cross wilderness first aid trained. This trip is meant to push our limits.

Of course, everything is still rather nebulous right now given the pandemic, but we're confident we can do the trip. The macro logistics have been worked out. I'm pretty confident we can make it 4 people, but I'd like to make it six.

PM me if this strikes you and I can send more details.

edit: I posted asking for thoughts on the trip and route here, before the end of 2019.

PostPosted: May 31st, 2020, 9:46 pm 

*bump*

We're looking for a 4th right now, it's too remote for the missus (I'm working on that...)

Costs are 2k at this point, with full service outfitting not including gear rental or food; we're not renting anything aside from one canoe. We're also doing a 2 day whitewater refresher course in the third week of June in Thunder Bay taught by Bill Day if that strikes your fancy, $400 for the group.

PostPosted: June 1st, 2020, 7:22 am 

FYI your route is not that remote normally.. You will see people occasionally. There are lodges scattered here and there.

You may not need the whitewater skills. Most of the portages are around waterfalls not rapids. And while there is moving water on the Caribou River in places you will be going the opposite direction there than the current.

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2020, 10:42 pm 

*bump*

No, it's not that remote. There's lodges we'll be checking in with along the way, and we expect some float traffic overhead.

But yet still, *bump*. If anyone's looking to join a trip with two brothers and an old friend one of us backpacked through Europe with, it's not too late.