View topic - 53 Wilderness/canoeing books reviewed

PostPosted: September 29th, 2007, 4:49 pm 

Location: Livingston Montana- On the Banks of the Yellowstone River
Thought you guys and gals might like to know what Sig Olson had on his bookshelf at home. Here is a list of all his books.
http://www.uwm.edu/Dept/JMC/Olson/bookshlf.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 29th, 2007, 5:34 pm 

Thanks for the tips on what to add to my library....to clarify, Richard was also writing reviews of books for wildrec.com, so if he did one that I had ( like "dangerous River" or "Great Heart") , then I didn't write a review.

I posted a review of "Water and Sky" on the OAC site....great book !!!!!

LOve that Sig Olson website....everything you ever wanted to know !

"The way of a canoe is the way of the wilderness, and of a freedom almost forgotten." Sigurd Olson, 1956

PostPosted: September 30th, 2007, 8:37 am 

paddletothesea wrote:
Thought you guys and gals might like to know what Sig Olson had on his bookshelf at home. Here is a list of all his books.
http://www.uwm.edu/Dept/JMC/Olson/bookshlf.htm

Sounds like Siggy had quite a wide range of intellectual interests...

PostPosted: December 13th, 2011, 10:08 pm 

paddletothesea wrote:
Damnit! Just when I thought my book case was big enough you had to pull this stunt! :D
Thanks for a few new picks. I was suprised you didnt have any Alan Kessleheims in your collection (so I've added them here for you). To me his books are classic paddling books and he writes more vivid than Sig and Muir hands down. Anyway./
Enjoy this list.
Water and Sky: Reflections of a Northern Year Alan S. Kesselheim

Water and Sky: Reflections of a Northern Year FROM THE CRITICS Publishers Weekly With his companion Marypat, Kesselheim paddled 2000 miles through the Canadian wilderness, a 14-month odyssey that began on the Athabaska River near Jasper (Alberta) and ended at Baker Lake, an Inuit settlement in the Northwest Territories west of Hudson Bay. After nine weeks the pair arrived at the eastern end of Lake Athabaska where they planned to spend the winter as caretakers at a fishing camp; the nearest human habitation was a Chipewyan village an hour away by snowmobile. The second summer, Kesselheim's brother and his wife joined the couple for the trip north across the Barrenlands. Very few people have made this journey in modern times, and no wonder--fierce winds, rain (24 out of 35 days for this party), insect hordes, frequent and difficult portages, extremes of temperature offer a severe challenge to the hardiest traveler. Kesselheim gives a marvelous picture of the Canadian north; he conveys the risks and rewards of wilderness travel in fine style. (Oct.)
Library Journal This story is of an expedition deep into the Canadian wilderness. Two people, the author and his companion (now wife), Marypat Zitzer, paddle their canoe from near Jasper, Alberta along the Athabasca River to Baker Lake in Canada's northwest territories. The trip covers 2000 miles and 14 months. It is not only a story of the journey through the wilderness, but also of an introspective journey of each traveler's discovery of insights, achievements, and perceptions.

Just finished reading this book. Very well written, I highly recommended.(Bought for my wife at last year's WCS :D ). Now I shall have to go out and find the sequel.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.