View topic - Hudson and Champlain - a book on the connections

It is currently December 13th, 2019, 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: November 13th, 2009, 12:20 pm 

I always viewed those two guys as different entities, but it ain't so. Actually, Champlain tried to push up the Ottawa to located a rumoured survivor of Hudson's expedition. And Hudson had tried to get around the French discoveries by pushing up the river named after him, from NYC to Albany. It's a crazy bunch and investors' money drives it all.

"Gods' Mercies" is on sale for five bucks (reg. $35) at Chapters and it's a darn good read if you try to understand the early 1600's and their discoverers. It's got some neat detail on the relationships between the FN folks then and this bunch of European merchants that tried to open up a North American market when they failed to find a shortcut to the Far East.

PostPosted: November 13th, 2009, 12:29 pm 

yup
I recall something in regards to another explorer prior to champlain saying he found a passage to the north sea and found the remains of a english ship in hudson bay.
When champlain talked to the chief at morrision island the cheif laughed and said that he had turned the explorer away and he went back down the river.

Champlain spent a few years in quebec city then returned to tell the tale of the previous explorer being a liar.

Self propelled mindfullness kayak and canoe travel

PostPosted: November 13th, 2009, 12:45 pm 

It's a lot more complex than that.

Champlain had left a youngster with a Montagnais tribe to learn the language etc, and when that guy returned to Champlain, he had a few stories. Champlain wanted to follow up and eventually traveled up the Ottawa to meet the chief whop resided on Morrison Island.

That trip is quite well described in the book, with descriptions on the various rapids that they had to work around as they went upstream. No big canoes, by the way, probably 16ft'ers or smaller. On recommendation, they did not attempt to work upstream around the Calumet system but stashed the boats at the mouth of the Muscrat river (rings a bell? :wink: ) and walked up the Muscrat watershed and then cut over back to the Ottawa just below Pembroke to get to the island. Good reading, if you are curious about the area.

PostPosted: November 13th, 2009, 5:21 pm 

I'll have to read that one for sure.I had thought they portaged the canoes over the little pres quisle and then canoed out to Morrision island?

PostPosted: November 14th, 2009, 7:20 am 

Here's what is said about the route they took:
"The [guide] insisted that at the foot of the Portage du Fort rapid, they would ascend to the high ground of the Bonnechere Ridge, and then strike out overland, on a fairly direct path to Tessouat's summer camp, following a chain of ponds and small lakes....
The canoes were abandoned. Champlain took up three harquebus, three paddles, his cloak, and a few articles and struck out on foot."

He had a miserable walk, on account of the bugs, the heavy weight of the guns and that they brought no food. They stayed at Jeffreys Lake for the first night and the following day they had to work their way through a huge blow-down ("chablis") and stayed the next night probably at Muskrat Lake beside an Indian village and got some food.

Following the Muskrat further upstream brought them to within three miles of the Ottawa and there they cut over towards it:

"Trails that were easy walking led them through "very beautiful" country. And then Lac des Allumettes (Ottawa R) was before them. It was June 8. Across that stretch of water was the Kitchisipirini summer camp, on Morrison Island...."

"Champlain [and his party] were welcomed and taken to the island camp"

So it doesn't say what presq'ile is, but obviously they were ferried over. The island is described as fortified, by the way.

If you want to get the book, don't wait. These sales end when they sold all the books or figure it's not worth keeping. At five bucks, this is a steal: it was sold originally for $35.

PostPosted: November 14th, 2009, 12:54 pm 

Just checked out chapters and it looks like I may have missed it.All I can find is christain self help books.

Ill keep my eye peeled for it next time I get to the big city.

PostPosted: November 14th, 2009, 2:47 pm 

It was in the Canadian Section of the bargains.

But if you want, I can pick up a copy and put it aside for you to pick up on your next trip into TO.

PostPosted: November 14th, 2009, 3:43 pm 

Cheer's
Thanks for the offer,however I have no clue when I would be out to TO again.I'll see if the library has it here in town.I would think it would,being about champlain and all.
thanks again

PostPosted: November 15th, 2009, 3:58 pm 

Quote:
Thanks for the offer,however I have no clue when I would be out to TO again.
Okey-dokey.

My offer is open to anyone else of course. Just send me a PM and I'll pick up a copy.

PostPosted: November 15th, 2009, 4:14 pm 

This brings to mind the story of Champlain's astrolabe (sp?). I think it was written up in The Beaver a year or two ago.
As I recall things, he entered an incorrect digit in his journal, with the result that the point where he lost it is off by a degree of latitude.
So that historical marker on Hwy 17 is dead wrong.
BTW, I just entered a link to cobain's trip to the Muskrat River and Mud Lake. There was already a link to an Ottawa Valley blurb on the same river.

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)

PostPosted: November 15th, 2009, 4:21 pm 

Nice area. And very scenic for the are it is in.Glad the TR came in handy!
Never knew there was a marker on the 17.Ill have to go take a look.

PostPosted: November 17th, 2009, 10:54 am 

Erhard wrote:
It's a lot more complex than that.

Champlain had left a youngster with a Montagnais tribe to learn the language etc, and when that guy returned to Champlain, he had a few stories. Champlain wanted to follow up and eventually traveled up the Ottawa to meet the chief whop resided on Morrison Island.

That trip is quite well described in the book, with descriptions on the various rapids that they had to work around as they went upstream.

Now that is interesting stuff.I am seriously excited to get my hands on this one.The descriptions would make a good caption to blog pictures of the area....hmmmm. :D
Gonna check out the library today.

PostPosted: November 18th, 2009, 7:13 pm 

My public library didnt have that book.So I picked up Champlain by N.E Dionne.It's part of a "makers of Canada series" I just found.Printed in 1905.looking inside the stamps from libraries in england,university of toronto,whitney hall library...this book has seen its rounds.

Nothing quite smell's like a old book.Pages are yellowed and it's almost like I feel the need to treat it with reverence,like a torah or something.

We should compare note after.

Edit to add they are online for what appears to be a free download
Or read right online.

http://www.archive.org/details/makersofcanada03torouoft

Another cool thing about the series is that they have the actual explorers signature copied inside each book.maybe a kayak paint job upcoming.

PostPosted: November 18th, 2009, 7:40 pm 

That's a pretty neat resource, e.g. http://www.archive.org/stream/champlain ... 6/mode/2up

But it has none of that musty smell... :wink: and Champlain's signature on your boat is a great concept, except that he writes like a school boy and thus the decoration wouldn't look snazzy enough. You look for a book of the 1800's when they appreciated stylish writing and borrow a signature from there. Maybe one of the surveyors... :lol:

This book seems good, but it paints with broader brush and many details are left out: e.g. that Champlain's party were on foot when they moved up the Muskrat River from the Ottawa to make the visit at Morrison Island.

PostPosted: November 18th, 2009, 8:47 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

cobain_lg wrote:
My public library didnt have that book.

If your local public library doesn't have a book, you can look into using the Interlibrary Loan Service.

Go to your local library's website, and there's probably going to be a link to that service. Most likely under a tab titled "Our Services".

Or go to INFOntario

Barbara