View topic - Kanawa

Post subject: Kanawa
PostPosted: November 7th, 2011, 6:51 pm 

Although there is nothing on the Paddle Canada website it would appear from an email I just received from Rapid Mag that Kanawa will no longer to be published.

Post subject: Re: Kanawa
PostPosted: November 7th, 2011, 7:07 pm 

I just got an email from Rapid Media with both the Rapid Media and Paddle Canada Logo on it. Is that what you got?
Paddle Canada will have a choice of which Rapid Media publication they receive (Rapid Magazine, CanoeRoots & Family Camping, Adventure Kayak). It said there will be a Kanawa section in each of these magazines.
I'm sad to see Kanawa go - it was my favourite paddling magazine.
Ralph

PostPosted: November 7th, 2011, 8:38 pm 

Quote:
It said there will be a Kanawa section in each of these magazines.

Yes I'm sure, plenty of reminders that we really must be certified and wear a PFD at ALL times.

Quote:

Me too, especially the Kanawa during it's peak(?) period of the late 80's & 90's.

PostPosted: November 7th, 2011, 9:00 pm 

You could see this coming....

I wrote 3 or 4 articles for Kanawa over the last 3 years. The experience was, at best, chaotic, and not very professional. Payment was slow to arrive, and I remember thinking that I was never going to hear from them again about publication dates etc. on more than 1 occasion. :tsk:

My mother bought me a subscription last Christmas....only got 2 issues... wonder if she'll get a partial refund :wink:

"The way of a canoe is the way of the wilderness, and of a freedom almost forgotten." Sigurd Olson, 1956

PostPosted: November 8th, 2011, 8:53 am 

Ralph wrote:

It was my favourite too, but that was years ago. The quality has been going downhill for a few years in my opinion, while the Rapid Magazines are excellent. I think this is a positive change.

PostPosted: November 8th, 2011, 8:55 am 

Quote:
I wrote 3 or 4 articles for Kanawa over the last 3 years

Quote:
The quality has been going downhill for a few years in my opinion,

Hmmm...maybe there is a link here ???? :doh:

"The way of a canoe is the way of the wilderness, and of a freedom almost forgotten." Sigurd Olson, 1956

PostPosted: November 8th, 2011, 9:24 am 

Well ...

FWIW - I really appreciated your article in Nastawgan. Especially since I have yet to make it to the Wilderness Canoe Symposium due to hockey conflicts.

:D

PostPosted: November 8th, 2011, 2:20 pm 

We're really excited about the partnership at Rapid Media. We're really seeing the strengthening of the paddling community's voice.

If you have story ideas and would like to write for the magazines, feel free to drop me a line.

If you'd like to complain about the quality of our magazines, also feel free to drop me a line.

PostPosted: November 8th, 2011, 2:29 pm 

Watersong wrote:
My mother bought me a subscription last Christmas....only got 2 issues... wonder if she'll get a partial refund :wink:

I found myself in the same boat...
I paid up my membership in Paddle Canada, specifically to get the Kanawa subscription because I think it's a great magazine...

... Unfortunately, I only received one issue... then never heard from them again. :tsk:

PostPosted: November 8th, 2011, 5:18 pm 

Quote:
... Unfortunately, I only received one issue... then never heard from them again.

Ironically...I just got my third issue of the magazine (my last for the year?) today!

Give credit where credit is due! :clap:

PostPosted: November 8th, 2011, 5:38 pm 

Watersong wrote:
Ironically...I just got my third issue of the magazine (my last for the year?) today!

Give credit where credit is due! :clap:

Did you see Wolverine's article? It looks great, though I've not read it yet. I'll save it for reading when I'm taking the bus to work - that's my favourite time to read paddling magazines.

Bryan

PostPosted: November 8th, 2011, 6:03 pm 

This arrived a few moments ago in my inbox and likely is in some of yours as well:

Quote:
Paddle Canada's Board of Directors, is pleased to announce a new partnership with Rapid Media starting in 2012. As the publisher of Adventure Kayak, Canoeroots & Family Camping and Rapid magazines, Rapid Media will be the official media partner of Paddle Canada. Members will receive their choice of Rapid Media magazines beginning with the February 2012 issue. This will eventually replace Paddle Canada's own longstanding publication, KANAWA. Two more great issues of KANAWA will be published up until February of 2012, so expect some overlap of magazines in your mailbox up until early spring.

The decision has been a long-time coming. Many of the PC board members didn't want to let KANAWA go after 30 years of history. In its early years, it was the voice of paddlers when there was no other national paddling magazine. Times have changed, plus with the economic realities facing not-for-profits on a whole, it just made sense to form a partnership. Several proposals were solicited from publishers across Canada. In the end, Rapid Media's proposal seemed the best fit for us.

Paddle Canada expects members will greatly benefit from the targeted titles Rapid Media offers. KANAWA wasn't targeting many of our instructor members because of the shift in membership over the past years. Now all members will benefit from choosing the magazine that matches their paddling discipline, whether it's canoeing, sea kayaking or river kayaking (and likely paddleboarding special features).

The "KANAWA" title will be preserved as a Paddle Canada-sponsored section inside Rapid, Adventure Kayak and Canoeroots, providing readers with a snapshot of association happenings.

"I'm excited about all PC members reading our magazines, it certainly strengthens our reach to enthusiasts and industry leaders," says Rapid Media founder and publisher Scott MacGregor. "But the big win here is the rest of the paddling community being more aware of the efforts of their national paddling association."

Just last year, the American Canoe Association (ACA) and Rapid Media announced a similar partnership and that the ACA would no longer be producing PADDLER magazine, a long-time membership benefit also available to outside subscribers.

"In the early years, (at Rapid Media) all our big paddling initiatives were perceived as being in direct conflict with either association," remembers MacGregor. Working together with both the ACA and Paddle Canada, MacGregor sees all three organizations now "perfectly aligned to grow paddling."

Rapid Media has been the leader in paddlesports media since 1999. Rapid Media publishes Rapid, Adventure Kayak, Canoeroots & Family Camping and Kayak Angler magazines, and produces the Reel Paddling Film Festival and Rapid Media TV. For more information, visit http://www.rapidmedia.com.

It is hoped, the partnership will also open the door to working with the ACA, Parks Canada, Canadian Heritage Rivers and some of Rapid Media's other major partners.

To kick of the new partnership, Paddle Canada members will receive a complimentary issue of Rapid Media's "Paddling Buyer's Guide 2011" this November, courtesy of Rapid Media.

The PC Board of Directors would like to thank KANAWA publisher/managing director, Anne Baxter, for the many years and dedication in producing Canada's paddling magazine. Ms Baxter will go on to work on other outdoor and adventure magazine contracts in the future. We encourage all, to continue to enjoy, support & celebrate KANAWA over the next few months.

Sincerely,

Jamie Maillet
Director Member New Brunswick

Graham Ketcheson
Executive Director
Paddle Canada | Pagaie Canada

Full disclosure: Although it will not be official until the Paddle Canada AGM upcoming on December 10th, I have agreed to step in as the Saskatchewan representative on the PC Board of Directors. Our previous representative had stepped down and the spot had been vacant for recent months. Thus, I've been coming up to speed on the decisions that have been recently made (such as this one) and just learning about decisions that are under consideration or upcoming.

Cheers,
Bryan

PostPosted: November 9th, 2011, 4:13 pm 

Wow, you this all sounds like Deja Vu for those of us south of the boarder. We went through a couple years of Paddler sliding into the great abyss prior to Rapid Media stepping in. I ended up getting the print copy of Canoeroots, and a free copy of Rapid out of the deal. I like Scott's magazines, but none of the paddling mags approach the quality that was produced in the past. Best of luck to you PaddleCanada folks now that you are with us Yanks under the Rapid Media banner. I guess it's better than nothing.

PK

PostPosted: November 9th, 2011, 6:50 pm 

Splake wrote:
Well ...

FWIW - I really appreciated your article in Nastawgan. Especially since I have yet to make it to the Wilderness Canoe Symposium due to hockey conflicts.

:D

Thanks! :D

PostPosted: November 10th, 2011, 11:59 am 

I am sorry to hear of Kanawa's demise....but totally understand the rationale behind this decision.

However, I think it is a good thing that Rapid Media will be providing future publications for Paddle Canada members. Scott and his gang put out a great product (JMHO)....and are Canadian to boot.

Canoeroots is the magazine I read on a regular basis....even had the good fortune to contribute to....and Rapid Media is putting out a Paddlesports Buyers Guide (should actually already be available). And Rapid Media has publications covering just about every paddling interest.

So while Kanawa is gone, a Canadian voice on paddling is still present.

From [i]Shield[/i] by Dave Hadfield

http://reflectionsoutdoors.wordpress.c