View topic - Next to Kevin Callan who are your fave content creators

It is currently December 16th, 2019, 2:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 24th, 2019, 9:14 am 

Kevin is a one man content machine from books to videos he's been doing it forever and I enjoy many of his videos especially his Whiskey Fireside Chats (he has one where he discusses his favorite books which is great)

I love to watch well done videos of canoe/camping trips and there are some fantastic content creators out there who I like:

Northern Scavenger and Back Country Angling are two that immediately come to mind. Even though I don't fish I love watching these guys catch monster trout and cook them in the back country.

Tumblehome - I love this Jason's videos. They are so peaceful and also well filmed and edited.

I've also recently discovered Jim Baird's Channel which has some great videos (he's the star of ALONE season 4 if you don't know). His videos are very well produced and of high quality (also him and his girlfriend bicker and argue when running rapids so he is not sugar coating things like so many social media personalities do) plus his dog is super chill and just lies on the spraydeck in the gnarliest white-water - how is that possible????

Chris Prouse and her partner make fantastic videos on Algonquin Park (I love the quirky little intro graphics she has on her vids)

And then there's Jason Eke (Trailguide Pictures)who has been making trip vids for so long that his son has grown up and Jason's gone grey…

Other's I'm aware of but haven't watched a lot of

Joe Robinet (another ALONE alumnus) has some good canoe stuff (and also lot's of bushcraft - if that's your thing)

My Self Reliance

Explore the Backcountry

Maddy The Goose.

So who's your fave on-line content provider if you are stuck home and want to binge watch canoeing videos all day?
Have I missed any of the obvious good ones? Do you have any hidden gems?

Feel free to hype your own channel if you have one..

PostPosted: July 24th, 2019, 9:24 am 

If you meant to imply living content creator I can understand the absence of my favourite! Bill Mason! I like to pull out his DVDs and watch them from time to time.

As far as living and my current focus I'd say I've enjoyed Westwood Outdoors. I've enjoyed Explore the Backcountry too!

PostPosted: July 24th, 2019, 9:31 am 

Dave_k wrote:
If you meant to imply living content creator I can understand the absence of my favourite! Bill Mason! I like to pull out his DVDs and watch them from time to time.

Fair point I sorta meant living and actively creating on social media especially Youtube. Having said that I have a copy of Becky Mason's solo paddling instructional dvd and I could watch that woman paddle for hours. I only hope I could be 20% as graceful.

On the subject of Bill Mason would love it if someone would make a replica of his Baker Tent in Dyneema fabric.... I would buy that...

PostPosted: July 24th, 2019, 9:56 am 

My favourite content creators would have to be Joe Robinet, Back Country Angling Ontario (John Kelly), and Explore the Backcountry (Brad Jennings). The three, along with Kevin Callan, have been beyond valuable in teaching me the skills necessary for backcountry camping and canoe camping. 3 years ago I was at square one apart from front country camping, so making the leap to back country camping had its challenges. I'm still learning all the time, but I no longer consider myself a green thumb at least. Without their vlogs, I would likely be still trying to figure things out more.

I just appreciate the local knowledge that these three provide. Another big bonus is that since they're all regionally local, I can do the same canoe trips as them and see a "review" of what to expect via their vlogs.

Finally, seeing all three of them do 10 day long trips has been hugely motivating for me to get out in to the back country. Now if only I could get more than 10 days of vacation time per year from work....

PostPosted: July 24th, 2019, 10:07 am 

dadadrop wrote:
[...]Another big bonus is that since they're all regionally local, I can do the same canoe trips as them and see a "review" of what to expect via their vlogs. [...]

Finally, seeing all three of them do 10 day long trips has been hugely motivating for me to get out in to the back country. Now if only I could get more than 10 days of vacation time per year from work....

True on the local content. I can watch some of those videos and it takes me right back to my own trips since the topography is so similar and the campsites are classic Ontario park sites.

Agreed on the vacation bit.... I am lucky to sneak away for 5-7 days max... really trying to get my wife into canoeing so I don't have to feel guilty spending half my vacation on my own.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2019, 11:00 am 

I think you rhymed off all of mine already - though I will add I'm not really a big fan of Kevin's even though my complaint is something that normally would make me a fan. I find him too foolish all the time - just too much joking and kidding around and not enough serious. It just doesn't come together for me and believe me I spend most of my life kidding around and really have to watch myself at work (professional environment)

PostPosted: July 24th, 2019, 12:31 pm 

I'll put in a vote for HOOP -"wintertrekker". Always interesting, educational, non-commercial, non self-aggrandizing.

- jmc

PostPosted: July 24th, 2019, 12:51 pm 

jmc wrote:
I'll put in a vote for HOOP -"wintertrekker". Always interesting, educational, non-commercial, non self-aggrandizing.- jmc

Hoop's stuff is very good. That guy is the king of traditional winter camping. Saw him speak at the symposium this year he's been into this stuff way before it was trendy.

Wintertrekking the site is a fantastic resource as well. Right up there with myccr for great topics and great user participation.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2019, 1:33 pm 

Oh David Lee the Passionate Paddler on Facebook - he's great! He also has an alter ego the Passionate Peaker if you are into mountaineering.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2019, 1:53 pm 

More of a website than a video, Al Stirt / Wendy Scott and friends, canoeing through Ungava and Labrador. A great resource on the area, some epic trips, excellent photography, and even some videos for the younger generation.

http://www.alstirt.com/Canoeing/Index.html

jmc

PostPosted: July 24th, 2019, 2:40 pm 

jmc wrote:
More of a website than a video, Al Stirt / Wendy Scott and friends, canoeing through Ungava and Labrador. A great resource on the area, some epic trips, excellent photography, and even some videos for the younger generation.

http://www.alstirt.com/Canoeing/Index.html

jmc

Bookmarked! Thanks!

PostPosted: July 25th, 2019, 6:07 pm 

Bill Mason
Lars Monsen
And a huge shout out to my personal favourite canoeist and a man I look up to more than anyone...Recped!!!

Last edited by Sam82 on July 31st, 2019, 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: July 25th, 2019, 6:33 pm 

Does Recped have a youtube channel?

PostPosted: July 25th, 2019, 6:50 pm 

Sam82 wrote:
Kevin Callans older content...not a fan now really...drinks too much considering he targets younger crowds and he is annoying when drunk.

I hadn't noticed that he was drunk on any of his videos. I saw him speak live at an outdoor show in Feb and it was a Sunday morning and he seemed pretty much exactly the way he does on his videos... soo unless he was drunk on a Sunday morning???.... is there one video in particular that sticks out for you??? I haven't watched all of his stuff so it's possible that there are a few where he's had one too many whiskeys :D

PostPosted: July 25th, 2019, 6:51 pm 

Prospector16 wrote:
Does Recped have a youtube channel?

Mr. Recped