View topic - Herb Pohl missing

It is currently October 18th, 2019, 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 20th, 2006, 9:17 am 

We have lost one of our own :(

I did not know Herb Pohl. He sound like an exceptional man of character. My sincere condolences to his friends and family.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 20th, 2006, 9:24 am 

Here is the official Canadian press story.

A big loss. And a huge reminder.

Lake Superior claims the life of a well-known southern Ontario kayaker

SAULT STE. MARIE, Ont. (CP) — An Ontario man who canoed and kayaked Canada’s waterways for four decades and frequently spoke of his travels has died in Lake Superior.
Herbert Pohl, 76, of Burlington, was found dead near the Michipicoten River shortly after noon Wednesday.
OPP Const. Karen Farand says divers found his body in about six metres of water near where his kayak was discovered Monday.
Pohl was not wearing a lifejacket.
An autopsy is being conducted in Sault Ste. Marie.
Farand was unsure whether Pohl got caught in cross-currents that form where the river enters the lake, creating treacherous conditions.
“The autopsy will rule out any kind of physical cause of going into the water,” she said.
“Then when that’s ruled out, they’ll be able to get closer to what happened.”
Pohl long wanted to traverse Superior and got his wish when he left Pukaskwa National Park July 11, said his wife, Maura Pohl.
She said earlier this week that the last time she heard from him was last Wednesday.
A long-time acquaintance with a Hamilton cultural group expressed shock he was not wearing a lifejacket.
“He always said he never took risks,” said Aurelia Shaw of the Hamilton Association for the Advancement of Literature, Science and Art.
In addition to holding executive positions with the association over the years, Pohl was a frequent speaker, last appearing in January 2005, Shaw said.
She said Pohl saw his planned two-week Superior trip a relatively short jaunt, compared with lengthy kayaking adventures he took in Labrador and the Arctic.
She said he also camped frequently in Algonquin Park, winter and summer.
(Sault Ste Marie Star)

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 20th, 2006, 6:03 pm 

bump

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 21st, 2006, 3:37 pm 

The WCA just sent this out to its members:
Quote:
On Monday, June 17, while traveling alone, as he so often did, Herb Pohl drowned in Lake Superior within sight of his destination of Michipicoten – probably the result of a freak wind storm. Herb had been a member of the WCA since 1977. ...

Our sympathies go out to his wife, Maura, and family. A memorial service will be held on Saturday, July 29. Specifics of time and place will be published on Wednesday, July 26 in the Toronto Star and the Hamilton Spectator.

WCA Board of Directors

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 21st, 2006, 5:17 pm 

Thanks Erhard,
I also got an e-mail from George Drought.
I'll have to wait for the exact particulars (I may have a conflict). The 29th is the day my niece is geting married at 11:30 AM in Toronto and the reception is at 5:30PM so I hope to be able to do both if the times do not clash to much :(

Herb,we'll remember you always

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 21st, 2006, 11:31 pm 

When he was sitting on it, Herb brought a sense of balance to the WCA board -- a truly wise and caring person, with a wealth of wilderness paddling experience. I am greatly sorry that he has made his last trip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2006, 6:21 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2006, 6:22 am 

Post subject: Herb Pohl
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2006, 6:35 am 

We met Herb on Lake Superior July 15th. My partner and I were windbound in the first small bay east of the Wheat Bin. We called it the "Rice Bowl". We were waiting for conditions to moderate so that we could paddle around the point and camp.

Mid afternoon an elderly gentleman ambled across from the adjoining cove. He too had decided the waves and wind were too much to make Wheat Bin. We all decided The Bin was probably surf conditions by now. Since his cove was all boulders and ours had some sand we invited him to share our campsite. He introduced himself as Herb Pohl.

Rain approached and we all huddled into our Baker lean to and began an afternoon of conversation about rivers, routes, tripping companions and trips. Herb was surprised my partner and I had hooked up on the net, having never met each other. He said he could never do that, not knowing the tripping style of a new partner.

We could tell he was a very accomplished paddler. His gear, his clothing were "old school". He wore wool pants, sox and sweater. He had a lifetime of paddling stories. I asked and he told me his favorite river was the Nahanni.

Herb told us he was an unforgiving character when it came to tripping, and mostly he'd rather paddle alone, since he often didn't get along with other people. His regular tripping mates had either died or health conditions precluded them from tripping anymore.

Eventually we all drifted back to our own tents for the night.

The next morning I bid Herb farewell and told him I would love to see him in the wilderness again. He smiled and said, "If I live". I thought that was only paddlers black humour. Maybe he had a premonition.

We were on the water first but Herb quickly passed us by. The coast was fogged in and we were cautiously edging our way down, trying to stay in limited sight of the rocks. Herb casually headed out on a course, directly into a fog bank and, without wearing his PFD.

Two days later the Coast Guard weather report stated a missing kayaker on Michipicoten Bay. When they said it was a red and white kayak (actually a converted C1 Herb had made) we grew concerned. It wasn't until several days later when we exitted at Michipicoten we learned it was Herb.

Though our meeting was brief I ffelt a kindred spirit with Mr Pohl. We dedicated our Pukaskwa paddle to him.

May he rest in peace.

...........O
......(___|/____)
.........../

Last edited by jjoven on July 22nd, 2006, 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2006, 7:55 am 

Thanks for posting, JJ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2006, 1:55 pm 

Wow, what a loss. When I was doing grad school at McMaster Herb had just retired and there were more than a few Herb stories floating around. I remember seeing him in the map room in the library occassionally. The biggest impression was his slide show of his Labrador trips - hugely long trips, unsupported and solo down rivers nobody was paddling.

Too sad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2006, 7:08 pm 

Thanks Jose, for giving us a glimpse of Herb's last journey. He will always be just Herb with an ascerbic wit.
I hope George Luste does something special at the WCA Symposium which Herb was a big part of.
I first saw Herb in 1989 at the Symposium which was then at York Uiversity and over the years I enjoyed his stories and humorous quips until I met him pesonally in 2003 at the Symposium wher plans were laid for a trip to Northern Quebec's Clearwater River.
My brother, Bob Schaefer, John Schultz , Herb (solo of course) and 3 others did the trip and there are plenty of stories about Herb which should be told at 2007 Symposium and I hope someone will do it.
By the way, the picture Richard posted above is from that 2003 trip (August) and that's Clearwater River in the background from the top of one of the long portages.

Thank you Herb for years of excellent stories and laughs. You'll be missed by all who knew you and/or knew about you.
Rest in peace in that wonderful canoeing heaven.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2006, 9:21 pm 

Thanks for the post, Hoz. :clap:

Folks, here is a link to the report by Hoz' paddling parther Larry Ricker, which includes a hauntingly beautiful photo of Herb paddling off into the morning mist: http://www.network54.com/Forum/9927/mes ... /Herb+Pohl

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 23rd, 2006, 1:08 pm 

Is anyone planning an honour guard of paddles (paddlers arch send off) for Sat.?

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 24th, 2006, 8:32 am 

Here is a part of an e-mail I got (from John Schultz) describing Herb (I will ask Richard to post the images , will e-mail then to him now):

Subject: Herb '03 - Clearwater

Two images from a scrapbook of our '03 outing. The third, stern and unsmiling, was taken in 1977 on the Labrador coastal ferry below Nain. I made a barnwood frame and gave it to Herb 2 years ago in Burlington. That famous grin crept over his face and he said: "That's exactly how I see myself!"

I've been dealing with a powerful, debilitating sense of loss all week - it has something to do with feeling a deep connection with Herb as a person, beyond the public persona of wilderness guru,speaker, advisor to high latitude travelers, etc. Beyond his wonderfully appealing contradictions - opinionated, curious, judgmental, profoundly generous, passionate, compassionate, critical, fastidious, gracious, etc. he shared with all of us a special intuitive sense of the power of deep wilderness "to encourage the annihilation of self". Paul Bowles has said that "...when a man has undergone the baptism of solitude he can't help himself. Once he has been under the spell of the vast, luminous, silent country, no other place is quite strong enough for him, no other surroundings can provide the supremely satisfying sensation of existing in the midst of something that is absolute. He will go back, whatever the cost in comfort or money, for the absolute has no price..." It seems to me sharing this curriculum was part of Herb's legacy.