View topic - More Egg questions

It is currently July 23rd, 2019, 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: More Egg questions
PostPosted: April 10th, 2007, 3:11 pm 

So I went to the Walton Feed site. However, befor spending 20 bucks on shipping, I was wondering about the value of the egg mix versus the whole egg powder.

It seems that the whole egg powder has twice as many eggs/can. The mix seems to just be the egg powder, plus powdered milk, plus oil and colour (which I don't really need).

Has anyone tried the whole egg powder with their own oil and milk powder? It seems like it might be both healthier, and cheaper per unit.

Thanks for any advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 10th, 2007, 5:02 pm 

You are aware Walton ships UPS? Across the border thats a hefty brokerage fee. Usually UPS is to be avoided for cross border shipping. Regular mail is much better.

www.bauly.com is better for you. Its Canadian. 1 lb of powdered eggs is 11.62. If my memory is correct its 32 eggs.

I really like them plain with salt and pepper. Thats how good they are. You will have powdered milk anyway with you most likely, and a little bottle of olive oil comes in handy for lots of things. I would do the pure eggs. It takes but seconds to add milk and oil for French Toast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 10th, 2007, 5:17 pm 

Why not carry whole eggs? Are you concerned about breakage, weight or spoilage? If spoilage is your concern, don't worry. Eggs last for weeks.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 10th, 2007, 6:05 pm 

Regarding Walton Whole Egg Powder - J011 (powdered eggs in 1 gallon cans):

I use them to make up egg omelettes.

A single serving for breakfast might include:
Dried eggs: 2 tablespoons
Dried Red/ Green Peppers 5g
Dried Onions 5g
Dried Mushrooms 5g
Freeze Dried Chives 1 tsp

Rehydrate the veggies and in a separate container add the appropriate amount of water to the eggs. Mix and cook the veggies in pan and then add the eggs to prepare an omelette along with a bit of olive oil.

Also rehydrate some hash browns, 25g/serving and cook with a bit of olive oil.

To spice it up a bit add in precooked bacon bits or use rehydrated, precooked and dried turkey sausage, 25g. You can also add stuff like Tex Mex spices if you like that sort of thing.

It makes a great breakfast when you get tired of eating oatmeal.
If you buy the eggs from Walton, then ask them in writing to ship via USPS. No brokerage or other UPS....BS. Takes about 2 and a bit weeks to get to Canada this way and no brokerage or CFIA fees or other BS.

If they screw up, refuse any shipments sent via UPS.

Fresh eggs:
Unless it is super hot in July, take them with you. I took 2 dozen with me last year but it got up to 40ºC on a couple of days and the eggs had to be eaten up quicker than anticipated. They start to go a bit runny when they get up to this temaperature and you will notice the problem right away. They are still useable but don't dally too long. But that is also unusual.

I buy brown eggs which seem to have thicker shells and I repackage them in the plastic egg cartons that you can get when you buy the Omega 3 enhanced eggs. ( they work better than the paper mache ones .I save the plastic cartons for canoe trips and you can wrap them in a bit of thin polystyrene foam to protect them a bit better if you are worried about breakage. ( this is the same foam used to insulate headers in newer home construction).

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 10th, 2007, 9:28 pm 

wotrock wrote:
Why not carry whole eggs? Are you concerned about breakage, weight or spoilage? If spoilage is your concern, don't worry. Eggs last for weeks.

sounds like Dances with Salmonella...
http://www.backpacker.com/article/0,2646,1077,00.html

I carry half a dozen freshies but on day two they become hardboiled if not eaten yet

Mac's eggs were superinsulated and super packed, but I suspect the rest of us may not be that careful. I have had the occasional minute crack in the egg, and thats an entry point.

Post subject: Thanks - Sorted out
PostPosted: April 10th, 2007, 9:42 pm 

Thank you all for your suggestions. I am looking forward to trying the omellete method.

I am not worried about egg spoilage - I grew up on a farm and worked at a grocery store (where eggs routinely were not refridgerated for weeks), I am worried about weight and breakage on longer trips.

I figured out that I was wrong. The egg mix has fewer servings, but the servings are both heavier and more Calorie rich, so the serving size was just skewed.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 11th, 2007, 2:45 pm 

littleredcanoe wrote:
wotrock wrote:

sounds like Dances with Salmonella...
http://www.backpacker.com/article/0,2646,1077,00.html

Aha! In the true spirit of capatalism, once they have identified something as a problem, the same folks are willing to offer a solution.......at a price! :)

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 11th, 2007, 2:55 pm 

We usually take the fresh eggs. We use either the polystyrene cartons or the paper ones, it doesn't matter. We transport them by taping them one dozen under the bow seat and one under the stern seat. If you eat up one dozen you need to replace the weight under the seat to keep the canoe balanced for the ports. We rarely have a broken egg this way.

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 11th, 2007, 5:38 pm 

I love eggs..until I read this thread I didn't think it was safe to eat fresh eggs that had not been kept refrigerated.

So, my question..how long can you keep these Omega 3 eggs taped to the bottom of your seat...assume summer weather let's say between 25-30

PS Jerry...I thought you were kidding but reading this thread I see Mac does the same thing...tell me your serious

(I buy the brown ones too!) ...

Post subject: Re: Thanks - Sorted out
PostPosted: April 11th, 2007, 7:13 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

I think there's something to be learned in these 13 words I've highlighted:

mr_canoehead18 wrote:
I am not worried about egg spoilage - I grew up on a farm and
worked at a grocery store (where eggs routinely were not refridgerated for weeks),
I am worried about weight and breakage on longer trips.

Those little yellow plastic egg carriers are great. Just for extra protection, I put a paper towel on top of the eggs before closing the lid. "Large" eggs tend to rattle around in them nowadays, not like the "large" eggs of other years that fit snugly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 11th, 2007, 8:06 pm 

Thanks Barbara..I read the thread..yet my brain must not compute this cuz I didn't internalize that point.

I am thrilled I can bring eggs...don't eat oatmeal or granola so breakfast is pretty boring and sometimes something hot is just what I want.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 11th, 2007, 8:15 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

I wouldn't bring 2 or 3 dozen, or hope to keep eggs for any length of time in seriously hot weather.

They travel in our blue barrel, in the center, with stuff packed around the sides and top and bottom.

The only time we had eggs break was when we were still lugging a cooler, and the rope that it was hanging from broke.

I grew up on a farm, too, and can still remember candling the eggs that I had to gather. Literally....holding a candle to each egg. There was something about floating them in a bowl of water, too, but I forget what that was supposed to tell you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 11th, 2007, 8:28 pm 

I always thought Floating eggs in bowl of water is to find out which eggs have a formed chick inside and which are newly laid and have yolks.

The ones that sink...little chicky...kinda chewy :x

And yeah, I agree maybe take 1 dozen..I usually bring frozen meat for my dogs which they have to eat up by end of day two...I try to pack frozen meat with other things that need cold temps. But breaking eggs is the problem...now a solution!

If it was really hot, I would pass on the eggs after a day ...

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 11th, 2007, 11:30 pm 

I know a farmer nearby and he tells me that eggs sometimes sit for a week or more in a 95 F barn with no problem, the trouble is after you refrigerate them the cold dry air dries out the membrane and allows bacteria to penetrate.
The trick seems to be to buy fresh laid from a farmer and keep them out of the fridge. He also told me that eggs last about 3 months refridgerated and may already be 2 months old by the time they get to the store :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 12th, 2007, 7:37 am 

Barbara wrote:
There was something about floating them in a bowl of water, too, but I forget what that was supposed to tell you.

In cooking school we were taught that they should be neutrally boyant in saline. We were also taught that any chef who can't smell a rotten egg when they crack it isn't worth didley. The odds of one egg in a carton being bad is roughly the same as all eggs in that carton being bad.

Do not put them in the door of the fridge. That little insert is there to sell fridges, not eggs. The yolk is suspended in the middle of the albumen by thick snot. Every time you open/close the door, it wobbles and the snot loses some of its hold. Take a farm fresh egg and one that's been in the door for a few days. Crack 'em on a plate. See how the good egg has a nice high yolk, almost a perfect hemisphere.

I'd pack the powder. You'll be carrying less weight. I wouldn't worry too much about what other stuff they put in their mix. It's not like you're eating that every day. A little colour and sub-standard oil never really hurt anyone.

I doubt much of the stuff we buy spends months not being sold. Warehousing is costly. Unless it's a seasonal product, there's no point to stockpilling product unless you expect a price spike in the economically viable future.