View topic - More Egg questions

It is currently July 23rd, 2019, 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 12th, 2007, 7:41 am 

Flyrod

Snot?
Is that a professional chef culinary term?

You do give me a giggle some times .

http://misabiadventurecompany.ca/

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 12th, 2007, 8:15 am 

Lady Di,

Serious, that is how we pack them. We live on the farm so are eggs are very fresh! A week long trip I wouldn't hesitate unless it is extremely hot. The down side to fresh eggs is that they are heavy. Very heavy mind you.

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 12th, 2007, 8:24 am 

Thanks Jerry - seems my problem is i dont live on a farm and get them the old fashioned was (Dominion).

I know a farmer nearby and he tells me that eggs sometimes sit for a week or more in a 95 F barn with no problem, the trouble is after you refrigerate them the cold dry air dries out the membrane and allows bacteria to penetrate.

So from above I conclude problem is going from heated barn to cold temp (did I understand that correctly?)

I guess I need to find a farmer who will sell me some eggs for the trip that have never seen a refrigerator. Either that, or I will go with my instincts and only keep them for a day or two .

The snot thing makes me want to eat grass right about now :x

Post subject: subject
PostPosted: April 12th, 2007, 12:11 pm 

Littleredcanoe
The egg mixture you is this regular whole powdered egg? I have purchased some locally at a bulk store but found them not to be tastety for cooking up as eggs. I have been using then in baking only. If you how do you alter them to make them taste good. Can you give approximate mesurements.
TY

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 12th, 2007, 4:35 pm 

On Iron Chef this week the secret ingredient is.....(drum roll and dry ice)...SNOT!

I use Bauly powdered whole eggs.

www.bauly.com I do add salt and pepper and chives and occasionally other things but I find these fluffy.

Dont know about Bulk Barn.. You guys have much more sophisticated shopping than we do in the US.

Yes I have heard that if you are going to travel with your organic, 100 percent real non dehydrated egg, it is best to get it right from the hen. Interim refrigeration really decreases shelf life.

Those camp egg containers really leave alot to be desired. However they are better if you fit each cup with a corrugated egg carton cup (you have to break those apart). The hard case is the only good thing..there is too much else rattle around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 12th, 2007, 4:48 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

excellent way to keep eggs safe and sound....with a paper towel on top of the eggs to take up any slack that would let them rattle around....

http://www.lakesuperiorstore.com/store/ ... s/812A.gif

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 16th, 2007, 3:42 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 16th, 2007, 4:10 pm 

Stop! How many eggs do you carry?

Wouldnt it be easier to take the chicken?

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 16th, 2007, 4:56 pm 

I think he was going on a 3 week trip :doh:

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 17th, 2007, 5:29 pm 

pinecones wrote:
1) use small eggs. large eggs have thinner shells.

This is a good point. A farmer with a large poultry barn told me that all eggs are made with pretty much the same amount of shell material. On larger eggs, that material stretches out a little thinner. It might be a rural Pennsylvanian legend, but I tend to believe it (come to think of it, that might be about his only statement that I believed).
pinecones wrote:
3) seal each egg with vaseline. the shells are permeable. old sailor's trick.

The shell is permeable, but under the hard outer shell is a thin membrane which is permeable to air but impermeable to bacterial pathogens. That membrane is what keeps our eggs fresh without refrigeration and why cracks could be a problem as mentioned by others. Maybe the vaseline trick works, or maybe it's an old sailor's tale. Personally, I would clean the eggs well with water, make sure the shells are good, and pack them well.
Cheers,
Bryan

Edited to correct my spelling mistakes!

Last edited by pawistik on May 18th, 2007, 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 17th, 2007, 6:19 pm 

"It appears that old hens lay thin shelled eggs regardless of egg size."

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 17th, 2007, 9:14 pm 

I bought from the bulk barn the Kingsmill Egg Replacer (in a box). It does not contain eggs and is for baking. I use it in my pancake mix for camping. Otherwise, I've never come across dried eggs at the bulk barn... I would love to find it there! Is it bulk or boxed?

I buy the large brown eggs and use the yellow containers, but maybe mine are older and smaller (probably 20 years old now) They're only 6 to a container, and fit large eggs perfectly, no wobble room at all! Since I backpack, I only take 4 whole eggs, for the first breakfast, and the rest is freeze dried stuff, but I do this for weight reasons only!

I had heard that about the non-refrigerated eggs lasting longer, and tried my best to find them last year... short of going directly to a farm. Guess I should try that next.

Oh, and floating eggs are to tell if they're still good to eat or not. If they float, throw them out:
http://whatscookingamerica.net/Eggs/EggsFloat.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 31st, 2007, 6:53 pm 

Try useing a 1kg size plastic peanutbutter jar, it will hold 6 or more eggs then fill it with flour/ rolled oats whatever, to keep them from breaking. put a wet towel over anything you don't have room for in cooler, it'll last for days n days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 1st, 2007, 10:26 am 

McKinley wrote:

I've seen these. We used them when car camping with the famdamily. I'd use them in the future if...I can stand on it. Can you stand on it without breaking the eggs? That's rule #1 for what I pack. Can I crawl over my pack without worrying where I put my foot?

Quote:
I had heard that about the non-refrigerated eggs lasting longer...

This may be due to how people tend to refrigerate them and how fridges are designed. Do not use the egg tray in the door if you like a nice hemispherical yolk in the center of your sunnysides. The yolk hangs from snotty albumen, suspended in the middle of the egg. Every time you open and shut the fridge the yolk is tossed about and eventually settles on the bottom.

Yes, the fresher the better. Most everything cooks better starting at room temperature instead of refrigerated.