View topic - Distance in a day.

It is currently March 2nd, 2024, 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: August 19th, 2007, 4:37 pm 

Distances to canoe a day is objective. It depends where you are and whom you are. As many have said 15 to 20 km is a good day but if traveling on water only that would or could be a short day. You should plan your trip not by km's but by time. A 6 to 8 hour hour day is plenty. Figure if you paddle 6 to 7 km hour and you have portages then figure out the experience of your group and how long the portages are and are you going to have to single carry or double carry and then go from there. There are no formulas for this just experience.
Bill

www.friendsoftemagami.org
www.friendsofchiniguchi.com
www.wildernesscleanup.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 19th, 2007, 7:26 pm 

Hillbilly wrote:
Distances to canoe a day is objective.
Actually, I think distance per day for me is SUBjective. One trip I may just flat out want to work my tail off so I set greater distances. But I could actually go shorter, climb more hills so the energy expended is greater but maybe the distance is shorter.

One trip the goal might be to totally change my pace, leave the pager behind and just dawdle and stop to observe anything that moves. The purpose of the trip is totally different from the first energy burning trip. Maybe I only go 10 Km spread over the whole day or maybe I do 10 Km by noon and stop for the rest of the day to draw, write, use the camera on foot.

Before I can provide an estimate of what is reasonable or "doable" I'd have to find out what is the purpose of the trip? Are you trying to set a new record on the Brent Run or have a week of comraderie with friends or something in between?

Depending upon the trip's purpose and the participants (solo, tandem, group) I go any where from 10 Km per day to 30 Km per day.

-Jester

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 20th, 2007, 7:10 am 

Paddling lakes with average sized and number of portages - nothing to crazy we tend to do between 20 and 25km in a day.
When I did the Yukon River we average about 75 to 80km in a day. We where moving about 10km/h with out takiing a stroke. start paddling and now your are doing about 14. Lots of fun.
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 20th, 2007, 7:18 am 

Grizzly wrote:
Paddling lakes with average sized and number of portages - nothing to crazy we tend to do between 20 and 25km in a day.
When I did the Yukon River we average about 75 to 80km in a day. We where moving about 10km/h with out takiing a stroke. start paddling and now your are doing about 14. Lots of fun.
Dave

that does sound like fun - I can admit I have never been on a river which is that fast

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 20th, 2007, 9:19 am 

Jester wrote:
Depending upon the trip's purpose and the participants (solo, tandem, group) I go any where from 10 Km per day to 30 Km per day.

-Jester

Exactly: you might want to go BTTW the first day to get to a site well in from the madd(en)ing crowds, so that you can wake up AT your fave site and then get to spend the day just loafing around, rather than getting there at noon and THEN setting up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 20th, 2007, 12:59 pm 

You've got lots of answers, but I'll just second some things others have said...

Mainly that infrequent/non-motivated paddlers think 5-6 hours of "on water paddling" is a very full day. I encounter this when I do day paddles with friends and family who don't paddle much. Even if for me it seems like a nice relaxed half day paddle.....

Allowing for reasonable paddling speed (5km/hr with Mr. I-need-to-break-every-5-strokes-to-fiddle-with-something). Means at most plan on about 20kms per day... If there are no portages... Even a short portage will eat an hour with inexperienced/less motivated paddlers. Longer ones more so.

But the key is to relax and enjoy the experience, appreciate being out there. And as you have done find a paddling partner who is more in tune with your paddling style. Or just let it slide and stop paddling whenever your partner does. They sooner figure out how much work it costs them to "restart" every few strokes rather than just sticking with it for longer. I hate breaking cadence once I'm paddling. So much so that I'm thinking about a camelback so I don't have to stop to rehydrate.

Of course at the same time I'm not big on the moving every day thing. I'd rather go pretty hard for a day or two and then find a nice spot to hang about and explore/relax/pick blueberries for a few days or even a week or so and then head back or move on.... So I don't get the covering ground thing per se.

PostPosted: August 30th, 2007, 6:48 pm 

Paddling Junky wrote:
I personally know when I'm paddling through the 25km mark, I'm pretty worn out at this point. Also take into account that if you're feeling tired at a particular distance the first day when you're fresh - you're probably not going to be able to sustain the distance for more than a few days without shortening some days up. :tsk:

careful . . . Junior.
Quote:
when you're fresh

Me n' Cap'n, day 1 is notso 'fresh'
we gotta work the kinks out first . . .
and as for this:
Quote:
probably not going to be able to sustain the distance for more than a few days

If you are 'wore' out after a few days you are:
not eating right
not in shape
you've got the wrong paddle
you've picked the wrong boat
other factors

Paddling a canoe is very mechanical and very ergonomic.
It just 'suits' Man.
If the Voyageurs would've worn out
this land would still be wilderness
heyyyy
:o

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 31st, 2007, 10:57 pm 

Maybe cause the planning of the trip is half the fun (and longer than the trip itself), I like to plan it out psychologically. Each trip has a shape to it and I try to plan my days along the shape I'd like the trip to have. I do the same thing with menu planning - what am I going to enjoy for breakfast/dinner on a particular day, after a given distance? Of course, planning is one thing, the trip another. But I will plan drastically different days based on how long the trip is and where I am in it and what I know of the geography.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 1st, 2007, 4:57 am 

My perspective on this changed over the years. When I was young and always challenging my limits I would canoe with an adult partner 30+ km. in a day including 2 or 3 portages.

Then I started taking my little boy and dog by myself so I really learned to slow down.

The last couple of years I've done a bit of solo and I find that I can push limits paddling if and when necessay but enjoy the camping aspect just as much as the paddling. So once I get into the "interior" I like to really slow down to about 15 km per day.

I'll sit for that other half the day once camp is made and just study the map for hours and decide on tomorrow, and I'll swim and cook and hang stuff in the wind. I'd never be able to go to a place that required dated reservations.

Buried, I am curious to know how you guys made out --- what was your average/per day? Did you have a good trip? Did the "less motivated" help you slow down to smell the roses? Let us know if you can!

http://www.algonquintreks.ca/
http://photosbytessfully.blogspot.ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 1st, 2007, 2:02 pm 
Since none of us are Voyageurs, and most of us don't live a life style that keeps us in perfect shape, and no we don't always eat right and no we may not have the ultimate paddle or even know how to use it properly, and we paddle the best boat we can usually afford which may or may not be the wrong boat.................I'd have to agree with Paddling Junky's statement. I think the majority would also agree with it. After all, most of us are just regular, normal people.

Donny

Post subject: we surprized ourselves
PostPosted: September 1st, 2007, 4:39 pm 

Donny wrote:
Since none of us are Voyageurs,
and most of us don't live a life style that keeps us in perfect shape,
and no we don't always eat right
and no we may not have the ultimate paddle or even know how to use it properly,
and we paddle the best boat we can usually afford which may or may not be the wrong boat . . . .Donny

YOU talkin' to Meee?
8)

Quote:
.................I'd have to agree with Paddling Junky's statement.

That's nice. I don't- as per my aforementioned points.

Quote:
I think the majority would also agree with it.

Majority?
Why? are we in Parliament.
Siren is not a majority kind of person.
8)
Quote:
After all, most of us are just regular, normal people

Cap'n normal? gosh . . . not once he's in a canoe.
Remember, I am still coming down from a a really crazy trip.
There is nothing Normal about paddling/being on the move for 12 hours- trying to see as much country as possible in a short amount of time.
I don't think the word 'relax' is in Cap's vocabulary.
a n y w a y s, Junior had to be informed that his fingerwagging
was just a little bit . . . textbook for me.

almost regular again,

ritak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 1st, 2007, 4:51 pm 

Siren1

You remind me SO much of you!!!!

Happy Day

Sundown

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2007, 12:39 pm 

Just reading a book that offers both sides of this discussion:

A. "Downes' vague account of his motivation and apparent indifference as to the precise course he would follow are entirely characteristic of a certain species of canoeist, who can be more inclined to explore an area rather than complete a route"

B. "too often canoeists succumb to...lust of travel...the mad joy of putting country behind you pushes all other interests aside."

I suggest unmotivated newbies only want A, many of us feel anything less than B a waste of time, and a few fortunate of us can find pleasure in A or B depending on the trip.

As twilight drifts to even.
- Pauline Johnson -

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next