kosher salt, to taste
black pepper, to taste
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried ancho chile
1 teaspoon fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/2 teaspoon lime zest (optional)
1 cup cannellini beans or white kidney beans, drained and rinsed

At Home: Preheat oven to 350ºF. Mince the shallot and onion. Cut the garlic and tomatoes in half. Put the shallot, onion, garlic and tomatoes in a shallow baking dish and drizzle with the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Bake for 45 minutes stirring occasionally. The tomatoes will start to brown and become very soft. Remove from the oven and let the mixture cool.

Place the tomato mixture in a blender or food processor with the remaining ingredients and pulse until well combined. Dehydrate on a lined tray as you would for fruit leather. The dip takes between 5 and 7 hours to dry. Once it is dry, you can grind it into a powder using a spice or coffee grinder to make it easier to rehydrate. Pack into a ziplock bag along with the camp instructions.

At Camp: Rehydrate the bean dip using a formula of 1½ parts dried mix to 1 part water. Wait 5 or 10 minutes and then add a little more water if necessary. When you reach your lunch stop, enjoy the dip with crackers, bread sticks, Greek pita wedges, or tortilla chips. It is also good in a wrap with chicken or vegetables.

Hope you like it.

Post subject: Thanks...
PostPosted: January 4th, 2008, 5:32 am 

Sounds good to me! But at 300 lbs, most things do. I am going to try this one out soon. Lots of applications for it. I like the pita wedge idea. Maybe stuffed with the dip and a little shredded cheese on top. Mini pizza slices! Thanks for sharing. And being new to most of the dehydrating/drying/chopping/packaging techniques for longer camping trips, let me thank you for being so descriptive with the instructions. After reading this, I feel that I can actually make it myself. Many of the other outdoor cooking/dutch oven books that I have assume you already know what to do and just tell the ingredients with basic instructions. Congratulations on the book. I ordered a copy last week from Barnes and Noble. Cant wait to receive it!
Dan

Post subject: Re: Thanks...
PostPosted: January 4th, 2008, 6:38 am 

DANATTHEROCK wrote:
Sounds good to me! But at 300 lbs, most things do. I am going to try this one out soon. Lots of applications for it. I like the pita wedge idea. Maybe stuffed with the dip and a little shredded cheese on top. Mini pizza slices! Thanks for sharing. And being new to most of the dehydrating/drying/chopping/packaging techniques for longer camping trips, let me thank you for being so descriptive with the instructions. After reading this, I feel that I can actually make it myself. Many of the other outdoor cooking/dutch oven books that I have assume you already know what to do and just tell the ingredients with basic instructions. Congratulations on the book. I ordered a copy last week from Barnes and Noble. Cant wait to receive it!
Dan

Thanks Dan... I hope you enjoy the book and if you have any questions - at least I am easy to locate.

For this recipe... if you don't like things really spicy then cut the cayenne down to 1/8 teaspoon. The book is pretty comprehensive - it covers everything I could think of and there are even a handful of more elaborate dishes for car camping. I go through things like how to pack fresh foods so they don't spoil and cover about everything you can think of surrounding food dehydration.

Some foods have an odor too - feta cheese, fish, curries.... so those things you want to dry in a well ventilated area if the smell gets to you.

Actually here is a great thread from another forum - a fellow I chat with bought the book and photographed the entire process of making a recipe from it. It was really sweet of him to do...

Red Dog's Photo Story of my Quinoa Soup Recipe