View topic - share your oatmeal recipe

It is currently December 4th, 2020, 10:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: January 29th, 2008, 11:37 pm 

Most weekday mornings at home I eat Quaker quick oats. You're supposed to cook for one minute but I find that just pouring boiling water on them and stirring around cooks them sufficiently. I usually add honey, pecans or flax seeds, and a couple of tablespoons of applesauce (to cool it off fast so I can eat it immediately).

On trips I'm more into granola (which is another way of eating rolled oats) with powdered milk

******* wrote:
but even better - if you want a complete protein and nutritional boost... use quinoa (it has to be rinsed for 3 minutes - which I do at home and then I toast it to enhance the flavor)... it's an excellent backcountry food and much better for you

I tried quinoa a few months ago as a hot breakfast cereal. It had a different taste, and one I didn't care for. Maybe I was supposed to rinse the saponin off? I ended up finishing the box by mixing it 1 part quinoa with 3 parts corn grits to dilute the taste.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 30th, 2008, 7:38 am 

Been Digging wrote:
I tried quinoa a few months ago as a hot breakfast cereal. It had a different taste, and one I didn't care for. Maybe I was supposed to rinse the saponin off? I ended up finishing the box by mixing it 1 part quinoa with 3 parts corn grits to dilute the taste.

The taste should be mild and slightly nutty. The saponin has a bitterness to it. This chemical occurs naturally as the goosefoot plants defense against birds eating the seeds.

I rinse mine (even if it says pre-rinsed) for about 3 minutes under cool running water. Then I let it drain fro awhile and place it in a dry non-stick frying pan to toast it. This adds a nice level of flavor - just like when you toast nuts and such. The little seeds will bounce (pop) and then I just take it off the heat, let it cool and dry a bit more... then store it in mason jars for 3 or 4 months. Toasting it really makes it taste nice.

We use it in soups and such too.

Actually there is a great step by step photo essay of one of my readers making this soup....

http://www.backpacker.com/cgi-bin/forum ... 9991096906

(it's funny if you pay attention to the reader's bottle of Corona - lol)

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 30th, 2008, 8:22 am 

******* wrote:

I misread your post the first time and thought, "Hey, this is Laurie's kitchen....and she drinks...rice juice? And look, she's throwing half the green onion away!"

I had a friend who was even worse. She only used the green end and tossed the entire bulb away!

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 30th, 2008, 8:29 am 

I prefer the no-name brand instant oats. On a trip last year with my son I had a package of Quaker and my son had the no-name. Same stuff but the no-name packages were larger. What's up with that?

Dale

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 30th, 2008, 12:23 pm 

Dallas wrote:
I prefer the no-name brand instant oats. On a trip last year with my son I had a package of Quaker and my son had the no-name. Same stuff but the no-name packages were larger. What's up with that?

Perceived value. There've been studies proving that no-name stuff increases sales of the equivalent brand name products. Basically, the cheap one won't taste as good.

But if you're cost conscious and never were going to buy the expensive one anyway, then fluffing up the quantity of the no-name is the clincher. "Look, Marge, what a great deal."

We're just rats in a maze to them :)

Next time you're shopping look at the instant hot chocolate. There's one brand that has a "Lite" variety that's the same price and # of servings but has half the calories. They reduced the calories by cutting the quantity in half. Somebody must've got a raise for that idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 30th, 2008, 1:25 pm 

Battenkiller wrote:
******* wrote:

I misread your post the first time and thought, "Hey, this is Laurie's kitchen....and she drinks...rice juice? And look, she's throwing half the green onion away!"

I had a friend who was even worse. She only used the green end and tossed the entire bulb away!

lol - I'll be honest and say that I don't mind a Corona with Lime on a hot summer day while socializing in the backyard.... and you are right - that was a waste of green onion. I'll have to tease him about that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 2nd, 2008, 2:33 am 

******* wrote:
just a note - the more instant the oatmeal is... the more reduced the nutritional value is

Why? Isn't the difference between the types of oats (instant vs minute vs rolled) is the thickness of the milled grain and thus the speed with which it cooks and absorbs water? If that's true (I might be wrong), then what effect should the degree to which the oats are crushed have on the nutritional value?

Regarding oatmeal on trips - we make up a mix at home with (gasp) instant oats, powdered milk, brown sugar, cinnamon, dried apples, apricots, raisins, cranberries, walnuts, almonds, or whatever else suits our fancy. We pretty much just toss whatever we have in the pantry into a big ziplock bag. Add hot water (dirty bowl with tea bag optional), let sit a couple of minutes and enjoy. It tastes better than the pre-packaged version, and the serving size can be tailored to the person. Never have we had anyone complain that the oatmeal was the wrong consistency or that the wrong type of oats had been used. There is so much other good stuff in it that any imperfection in the oats would not be a big factor. We make this stuff up for home use too, though at home we do go through a lot of the store bought variety.

Cheers,
Bryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 2nd, 2008, 11:23 am 

Bryan - the instant oats are steamed and flattened thinner to reduce cooking time. There is some nutrient loss in the process.

Steel cut oats are the least processed followed by rolled oats. Quick oats are next and then finally the instant oatmeal.

The other thing is that instant oatmeal has about 3 teaspoons of additional sugar added to it and it contains less fibre.

That said it isn't like instant oats are bad for you... but on longer trips having something that packs a better nutritional punch, quinoa for example, can be beneficial.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 2nd, 2008, 12:17 pm 

Quote:
Why? Isn't the difference between the types of oats (instant vs minute vs rolled) is the thickness of the milled grain and thus the speed with which it cooks and absorbs water? If that's true (I might be wrong), then what effect should the degree to which the oats are crushed have on the nutritional value?

Yeah.

8)

******* wrote:
The other thing is that instant oatmeal has about 3 teaspoons of additional sugar added to it and it contains less fibre.

Oh- and like that Maple Syrup and Brown Sugar and all those fruits everyone is dumping into won't . . . compromise/negate the nutritional coefficients being
transmutated into your bloodstream . . . :o
:P

Quote:
... but on longer trips having something that packs a better nutritional punch,

re: Long Trips and Nutrition = Common Sense.

This 'nutrition' thang keeps rising to the fore in this discourse-
are people really that ignorant of what is 'Good'
didn't their Mommies raise them on Nutrition?
a n y w a y s
Sugar, refined or natural, is a key ingredient for those long haul journeys,
Dried apricots, the raisins from sultana cookies, sugary instant oatmeal
= cornerstone ingredients of the Food Barrel.

Siren1
keeping it simple
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 2nd, 2008, 12:48 pm 

siren1 wrote:
Quote:

And in the other corner in the red trunks weighing in at slightly over two pounds from western Canada smoked slab bacon.
How many corners are there in a barrel?

Post subject: hi Hun xo
PostPosted: February 2nd, 2008, 1:19 pm 

Oatmeal (anykind) and Smoked Slab Bacon
= a marriage made in Heaven.

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 2nd, 2008, 1:21 pm 

RM Patterson had quite a different recipe for oatmeal in one of his books.Anybody recall it? I remember cheese being tossed in
Dangerous River maybe?

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 2nd, 2008, 2:23 pm 

not a breakfast item though somewhat on topic I love steel cut oats and not just for breakfast. In fact they keep enough of their texture that you can substitute them for rice. I have made stuffed peppers and used the steel cut oats in lieu of rice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 2nd, 2008, 5:01 pm 

Kermode wrote:
not a breakfast item though somewhat on topic I love steel cut oats and not just for breakfast. In fact they keep enough of their texture that you can substitute them for rice. I have made stuffed peppers and used the steel cut oats in lieu of rice.

that sounds delicious Kermode... my Mom eats tradtional ground Scottish Oatmeal with a bit of salt and never sugar, so I can see how well they would work in a savory application. Might have to fiddle with some recipes - thanks for the inspiration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 2nd, 2008, 5:12 pm 

siren1 wrote:

******* wrote:

Oh- and like that Maple Syrup and Brown Sugar and all those fruits everyone is dumping into won't . . . compromise/negate the nutritional coefficients being
transmutated into your bloodstream . . . :o
:P

Quote:
... but on longer trips having something that packs a better nutritional punch,

re: Long Trips and Nutrition = Common Sense.

This 'nutrition' thang keeps rising to the fore in this discourse-
are people really that ignorant of what is 'Good'
didn't their Mommies raise them on Nutrition?
a n y w a y s
Sugar, refined or natural, is a key ingredient for those long haul journeys,

Siren1
keeping it simple

The difference is that I can control the sugar - I would normally use much less to suit my own tastes and I try to watch the sugar with Tobias. I prefer to get our energy from a variety of sources.

Siren, while the carbohydrates you mentioned are great for energy there is also a need for protein in the wilderness tripper or backpacker's diet. Some sugars only provide a short burst of energy whereas adding a protein like quinoa to breakfast or legumes to your lunch can be helpful.

It's all about variety and balance.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next