View topic - Kootenay River - McLeod Meadows to Canal Flats

It is currently November 17th, 2019, 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 10th, 2008, 2:43 pm 

I'm looking for some further details on the route: Kootenay River - McLeod Meadows to Canal Flats.

Summarizing other posts on this forum have stated thus far:

River level - immediate to advanced? is this correct?
Major rapids from Settlers road to White River junction.
From my map Settlers road runs parallel to the river, where do they mean on Settlers road?

Campsite locations: random camping? camp where appropriate? no designated campsites?
Days: 2-3 depending?

I'm looking for a trip for my wife and I. I would like it to be 3 days with a bit of whitewater, but nothing too serious. We have paddled most of the Grand and Saugeen Rivers in Ontario (& lots of flatwater), but I'm reluctant to get in over my head in the mountains. I know a lot about canoeing, but don't have a lot of experience in mountain whitewater. I would consider myself to be an immediate paddler. We are looking for a trip in early July, which might be higher water according to the posts. What would be the most appropriate sections of the Kootenay for a novice/intermediate 2-3 trip?

thanks,

Jon

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 10th, 2008, 6:34 pm 

Schmidty;
Try here
http://www.myccr.com/SectionForums/view ... hp?t=23442
http://www.myccr.com/SectionForums/view ... hp?t=13101

River level intermediate to adavnced yes
Wet suit is recommended. H20 is cold.
McLeod meadows to Settlers Bridge is C1-II lots of gravel bars.
Alternate put in at KM13 on Settlers road no camping there though.
great random camping just find a good site.
I know I did a trip report on the rapids below Settlers bridge but can't find it.
IIRC Ledge Rapid is first ,run RR and slide to RC near the bottom. You can line it RL at lower levels.
Boulder is next run RR or RL of the boulder.
Watch for recirculations and boils at the cliffs where the water piles into the wall and boils up downstream.
It's mostly canyon below Settlers so be sure to know how to back ferry as its a long climb up to get out to the road.

Hugh

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
M.T.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 10th, 2008, 8:06 pm 

I have copied this from our clubs trip schedule Kootenay MacLeod Meadows to 3rd Bridge (Crestwood bridge) Intermediate+ II+ 80 3 day Some class III-. Solid upper intermediate skills required. Swims can be long and boat recovery difficult. Canoe camping. Famous as a scenic mountain river tour.
I did this 2 years ago and it was a great trip I wouldnt recomend doing it alone unless your skills are solid class 2 as there is some big water (pedly falls is one I remberImage[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 10th, 2008, 8:12 pm 

forgot to say this pic was taken just below pedly falls we made it to shore without swamping(,there were 10 boats on shore for help if we needed it) just went through a wave train with 3 foot waves.our club is doing this trip again in august pm me and maybe we can get you along as a guest

PostPosted: April 10th, 2008, 10:46 pm 

Hello,

Thanks for that amazing picture. Glad you were both alright after that, canoe was riding pretty low with that water.

I have a few other questions:

Can you put in at Kootenay Crossing?
How long would it take from Kootenay Crossing to Settlers Bridge?
How long would it take from McLeod Meadows to Settlers Bridge - one comment suggested half a day?

thanks

Post subject: Kootenay Crossing
PostPosted: April 28th, 2008, 1:26 pm 

I'm still wondering about putting in at Kootenay Crossing and how long it would take from there to Settlers Bridge?

thanks,

Jon

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 28th, 2008, 2:58 pm 

Jon;
without looking at a map I'd say a good day. Camp at the confluence of the Cross R 2km upstream of Settlers bridge.
I've never paddled the Kootenay from the Crossing always paddled on the Vermilion from Vermillion Crossing through Hector gorge,then taken out at the first spot where the Kootenay comes into view on Hwy 93,past where the Kootenay joins. Kind of unusal in that the Vermillion is much larger than the Kootenay (which is really more of a creek at this point) when they join but the river is called the Kootenay.
Hope this makes sense when you look at the map :roll:
:)
Hugh

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
M.T.

PostPosted: April 28th, 2008, 11:33 pm 

Thanks Hugh,

You're great! What a body of knowledge.

One more question - is it possible to park a vehicle at Settlers Bridge - looks like the Nipika Lodge Touring Centre on my map?

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 29th, 2008, 12:05 am 

Not 100% sure of being able to park at Settler's
Call Lyle Wilson at Nipika mtn resort www.nipika.com
He is a paddler who has done lots of trips,used to paddle C2, ex YMCA tripper,does some work with Black Feather.
He is the owner of Nipika. The putin used to be a campground but once Nipika Mtn resort was developed the campground part was closed . Lyle has kept the Putin and Take out. You could ask if it's OK to park your vehicle.

Hugh

M.T.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 18th, 2008, 11:27 am 

Thought I would contribute to this thread with a few pics after having just riden through Kootenay National Park on my m'cycle June 17th. Only takes a minute or 2 to put them up. I was looking for the putin for a possible launch on my cataraft this summer. I see a commercial rafter out of Radium routinely runs this river....a good sign. So far I'm impressed with the beauty of the water.

Upstream a few kms from the Cross River.

Standing on the Settlers Bridge looking downstream.

Upstream of bridge.

You can see the putin here.

Bridge view from the putin.

Dust in pics is from you know what. Be cautious of these trucks when travelling the Settlers road. :o

A little bump under the bridge. :)

Near McLeod Meadows Campground. I like this time of year when the snow
is still very much visible.

See ya!