View topic - South Cranberry Brook - McAdam

It is currently December 16th, 2019, 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 28th, 2009, 4:18 pm 

4-5 hour return trip Instead of getting on Cranberry Brook (see Cranberry Brook trip) at 2nd Bridge continue to where the brook meets the road past the 2nd bridge at a culvert.

Go left (east) at culvert and kayak/canoe about 0.3 miles on Cranberry until you can see a route that takes you to your right (south) - You will see Bald Mountain and go towards this mountain your whole trip. There is a good 2 hour trip south from this point on a beautiful deadwater brook. At times it may seem like it is going to end but will continue on.

The 0.3 miles on Cranberry is rocky but no portage is needed. A fast 1 hour to the south on South Cranberry brings you to your first beaver dam - an easy stand on dam and put on other side.

15 minutes later you will have to do this again.

Traveling on you will see another beaver dam and I suggest you may as well not cross over this 3rd dam as it then becomes rock and within a half hour you will come to a rock garden with the brook turning into a trickle sandwiched into a wall of woods. The brook will continue on to the East line -- active railway track but unless you have a 4 wheeler in some remote location you will have to return anyhow. This area is good for fishing and I saw my first moose in the wild drinking out of the brook.

It took me 5 hours and I was moving along pretty fast. There are no places to really stop along this trip as it is swamp on both sides all the way but the brook is mostly wide and windy and is a secluded and pretty

PostPosted: June 10th, 2009, 7:19 pm 

[img]http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=7039545&l=f1bc7695c6&id=745235712[/img]