View topic - Where was Cache Lake

It is currently November 20th, 2019, 9:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Where was Cache Lake
PostPosted: August 22nd, 2009, 11:32 am 

The book "Cache Lake Country" by J Rowlands has long been one of my favourites. I have made a little hobby of trying to establish some notion of where the lake might have been. I have outlined some notions below. I would be interested in other folks' ideas.

The book mentions magnetizing a steel rod by holding it at an angle the same as the latitude and striking it. The angle given for Cache Lake is 47 degrees. This is about right for the south end of Lake Temagami, but might possibly mean somewhere in a band reaching as far as Elk Lake at 47 degrees 43 minutes.

Bird species mentioned, such as Whiskeyjacks and Wood Thrushes are consistant with this latitude.

The lake is said to be on the Manitoupeepagee River. The only reference to the word manitoupeepagee I have found is in a geological survey of 1907, where it refers to a lake just south of Lake Temagami, Ontario, now shown on maps as Manitou Lake. Manitou Lake has another lake to its south, as described in the book.

Indian Chutes are mentioned and are said to be 2 miles from the lake and sometimes audible at the lake. There is an Indian Chutes on the Montreal River, north of Elk Lake.

Wabun Lake is mentioned, said to be upstream of Cache Lake. There is a Wabun Lake near Smoothwater Lake.

A high hill is mentioned as a historical lookout point, 4 miles west of Cache Lake. Maple Mountain or Ishpatina Ridge ?

The river is described as running into the lake from the north, with rapids. Some rivers in the area running north to south are the Lady Evelyn, the Sturgeon and parts of the Montreal.

The book describes a large swamp to the west of Cache Lake.

Rowlands mentions that Cache Lake was on a fur trade route and that natives spent the summer on the lake to the south.

A settlement to the west of Cache Lake, reached by a 32-mile trail, is mentioned.

A canoe trip is described that passes through a chain of lakes and rivers and a lake with a lot of wild rice to a lake that drains to both north and south. This sounds like Grassy Lake and Dividing Lake in the Gogama area.

I suppose the account may be a mix of various places, or entirely fictional. It does sound rather like a combination of the area south of Lake Temagami and the upper reaches of the Lady Evelyn River.

Post subject: Re: Where was Cache Lake
PostPosted: August 22nd, 2009, 12:51 pm 

It's near "Shinning Tree"...my brother in law goes fishing thetre every year

"The way of a canoe is the way of the wilderness, and of a freedom almost forgotten." Sigurd Olson, 1956

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2009, 8:42 pm 

Thanks, Watersong. Can you tell me just where it is? I haven't found the name in the area.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2009, 12:06 pm 

I tried to find Cache Lake too after I first read the book as a teenager. After finding various Cache Lakes myself, and then after contacting the author's publisher who would not give me the direct contact info from Mr. Rowland's, but the publisher tried to find out the location of Cache Lake for me, the reply to me was that Cache Lake was fictional. I don't know if they actually contacted Mr. Rowlands or if they were just trying to get rid of me.

But after that news I gave up looking for Cache Lake but still enjoyed the book and got a new paper back copy of it when it was reprinted. I don't know if I still have a copy of the letter from the publisher, as I haven't come across it for years through many moves, but if I do find it in storage somewhere, I'll let you know.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2009, 12:07 pm 

There is a Cache Lake north of Verner (near Sturgeon Falls). I think you can access it from Hwy 575.

PostPosted: December 15th, 2010, 8:21 pm 

I've been wondering where (if?) Cache Lake is for about 40 years. I'm ready to really go there now.

Anybody figure it out? Thanks.

PostPosted: December 16th, 2010, 8:15 am 

There's a Cache Lake about 10 km west of town here in Northern Manitoba, but I'm sure it's not the one under discussion. It's nothing more than a shallow puddle.

PostPosted: December 16th, 2010, 9:01 am 

Hmm... curious, I am gonna have to read this book, then find the lake, sounds exciting!

PostPosted: December 16th, 2010, 5:49 pm 

I'm quite sure it wouldn't be in Manitoba. I saw a Cache Lake in the Yukon once too.

It is a great book, in it's own way. Surely one of my favorites. The older hardcover versions are charming. But the newer paperbacks have a great introduction by Verlyn Klinkinborg. I think both are available from online booksellers for a nominal price.

PostPosted: December 17th, 2010, 10:11 am 

Its a great book and I often wondered where Cache Lake was also.

Shinning Tree is just west of Gowganda on route 560. I figured the author put in just enough information on the location of the lake to keep us guessing.

BTW, the drawings and outdoor tips while dated, make for a book you can read over and over. It's one I often read a few pages at a time but have never really finished it.

It would be great if someone actually knew the lake and named it. This summer you would see a tent on every point with folks reading a book. :lol:

PostPosted: December 17th, 2010, 10:17 am 

You guys are looking in the wrong country!

http://failedfarmer.wordpress.com/2007/ ... e-country/

And the name Cache Lake is fictitious.

PostPosted: December 17th, 2010, 11:42 am 

Don't believe everything you read.

PostPosted: December 17th, 2010, 1:38 pm 

I wonder if the author was writing in Maine and was a Keewaydin alum.

Keewaydin was founded in Maine and of course branched to the Temagami and other areas. Wabun was an offshoot camp.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keewaydin_(camp)

PostPosted: December 17th, 2010, 4:23 pm 

Quote:
Cache Lake Country records John Rowland’s first year living beside Cache Lake in the North Woods of Maine

Nice try.... :rofl:

"The way of a canoe is the way of the wilderness, and of a freedom almost forgotten." Sigurd Olson, 1956

PostPosted: December 18th, 2010, 3:28 pm 

Interesting thread....and theories of where Cache Lake might be....but I always understood that it was a fictional lake....possibly based on actual places....but a fictional location all the same

From [i]Shield[/i] by Dave Hadfield

http://reflectionsoutdoors.wordpress.c