View topic - 2 week menu

It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 2 week menu
PostPosted: June 24th, 2010, 6:17 pm 

Here is my 2 week menu for a trip this summer to La Verendre. Let me know what you think or if you have any extra ideas.

Dinner 14 meals
Dinner 14 meals
• Pocket stew
o 4 potatoes, 2 peppers, broccoli, carrots onion, brauts, salad dressing, cheese
• Mac & cheese (2M)
o 20 oz elbows, velvita, pepperoni
• Beans & rice (3M)
o 1 cup rice, ½ cup beans, freez meat, salsa, D veg, TVP, 8 torts, cheese
• Rice pasta pesto
o 20 oz rice pasta, pesto, pine nuts, parm, D tom, (oil)
• Quesapizzas
o 24 torts, D tom sauce, perperoni, motz cheese
• Couscous (2M)
o Grains, spice pack, D veg, F meat
• Soup & Potatoes (2M)
o Soup pack, D veg, F meat, instant potatoes
• Asian curried stir fry
o 2 packs
• Pasta &red sauce
o 20 oz pasta, D tom sauce, D veg, F meat, parm

Dessert 8 meals

• Cheesecake (2M)
• mix, 1 can condensed milk, pop tart
• Pudding (2M)
• Packs, P milk
• Smores (2M)
• You know what we need
• Cookies (2M)

Breakfast 13 meals

• Oatmeal (3M)
• Oats, dried fruit, P milk, brown sugar, walnuts
• Granola (2M)
• 4 cups granola, P milk
• Golden Grahams (2M)
• 6 ups, P milk
• Sweet rice (2M)
• 2 cups rice, raisins, brown sugar
• Pop tart (2M)
• 4 packs
• Honey nut cheerios
• 6 cups, P milk
• Pancakes
• Mix, maple syrup
• Extra- 12 hard boiled eggs

Lunch 14 meals

• Breads
• 4 packs pilot biscuits (4M)
• 24 bagels (3M)
• 24 torts (3M)
• 6 cracker packs (3M)
• 1 bag biscuit mix (hot lunch)
• Substance
• 2 jars PB, 1 Jelly, 1 Nutella (3M)
• 3 packs tuna (3M)
• 2 bags hummus (2M)
• 3 summer sausage (3M)
• 1 bag pepperoni (2M)
• 1 soup mix (hot lunch)
• Extras
• 2 bottles mustard
• Cholula
• Syracha
• Carrots and celery (first days)
• Cheese
• for 10 lunches

Snacks

• Jerky (lots)
• Fruit leather (lots)
• Banana chips (1 bag)
• Snickers (16)
• Energy bars (16)
• Granola bars (32)
• D apples
• D mango
• Fig newtons
• Gorp
• Peanuts, almonds, kix cereal, M&Ms, peanut M&Ms, raisins, craisens, cashews, sunflower seeds, chocolate covered pretzels, chocolate chips, chex mix, pine nuts

Drinks
• Coffee (2 bags), Tea (20 bags), Crystal light (60 packs), Wine (1 bag), Rum ( 1 bottle), Hot cocoa, Gatorade, Absinthe

Spice kit
• Salt. Pepper, Orgeno, Garlick powder, Chili powder, Olive oil

Post subject: Re: 2 week menue
PostPosted: June 24th, 2010, 11:20 pm 

It seems a little light on wine. When paddling tandem we budget a litre a day. Its one of those suffering followed by reward things if you don't mind carrying it. I trust the rum is overproof, more bang per ounce. Actually it looks pretty tasty as menus go. I am probably more of a carnivore so my menu would feature more meats, there's no BACON in yours. Now all I have to do is decide what to have with the 98 ruffino chianti, nodles or stove top stuffing?

Post subject: Re: 2 week menue
PostPosted: June 25th, 2010, 9:43 am 

Just a quick suggestion ... I would substitute Quinoa for Couscous. Couscous is just semolina (or pasta) ... and you already have plenty of that in menu. Quinoa is a complete protein, and takes about the same amount of time to cook (and can be used in same way).

You can also replace your conventional wheat flour with a combination of Spelt and Kamut flour (such as for pancakes). Just a thought. They say spelt and kamut has greater water solubility which means more fiber, vitamins, protein, and general nutrition. Some people even like the taste better.

I'm interested in this topic, so please add more suggestions. In general, I'm interested in options for adding more protein and reducing carbs (since a camp menu is usually very heavy in carbs and quick sugars).

Also -- avoid dried fruit with sulfur dioxide added as a preservative. Who cares if it loses some of it's natural color, it tastes fine and keeps fine. I'd also find substitutes for pop tarts and honey nut cheerios … unless you have kids on a trip. One sweet snack after dinner and for an afternoon snack is enough for me. I tend to have a burst of energy and then get very tired and hungry after a sweet and sugary snack.

Post subject: Re: 2 week menu
PostPosted: June 27th, 2010, 6:29 am 

If you meant La Vérendrye, then you could buy the absinthe in Québec since Québec regulations allows selling a stronger absinthe than Ontario, regarding the wormwood contents.

'extra ideas' I guess not. 'less ideas' perhaps. That's just me, but I tend not to bring a restaurant selection on trips and do not mind eating the same several times since after all I'm not there for food. So I'd say while keeping the overall total quantity, but less variety.

The quinoa/coucous substitution suggestion by idylwyld sounds very good although from a few links I haven't seen at all the same cooking directions. Maybe the parallel is more akin to coarse grade bulghur than couscous.

Couscous is not cooked but only soaked in hot water, whereas seemingly quinoa needs not only soaking for 15 minutes, but cooking for an additional 15 minutes. But then again, it might be the few web pages I just browed are wrong and I'm not familiar with quinoa at all. It could also be that quinoa, like bulghur, is offered in several grades of coarseness.

PostPosted: June 27th, 2010, 6:38 pm 

I'll second the Quinoa....I'll also add a few pachets of instant soup for fast snacks.......toss in a bar or two of dark chocolate for a sweet treat....and maybe a small bag of hard candy... wherthers?

[color=

PostPosted: June 27th, 2010, 7:21 pm 

Quinoa is a seed from a spinach-like plant. Imagine the spinach going to seed. It comes pre-rinsed or not rinsed. If not you need to rinse it to get rid of the bitter saponin. It is fairly close to tasteless (to my palate) but can be spiced up in many different ways. Supposed to be the perfect grain even if it is not really a grain. Personally I prefer oats.
S

PostPosted: June 27th, 2010, 10:25 pm 

Thanks for the feedback.
-I personally don't like to eat Quinoa. Maybe my feelings are stronger then that, I hate Quinoa. When I hiked the Appalachian trail I packed a ton of Quinoa meals and grew to not want to see them anymore. They did make very good trading material with other hikers, so it was not a bad deal in the long run.
-Good advice on the Adsinthe
Can you get stronger rum in QC as well?
-Hard candies and dark chocolate added.
-I'm a big kid myself so I like something sweet in the morning to wake me up and get me going. A good handful of gorp can hold off the sugar let down later.
-Your right I need bacon in my menu!!! American Bacon sucks
Does anyone have any suggestions on a good bacon to buy in Canada that keeps well?

PostPosted: June 28th, 2010, 10:17 am 

Bacon will spoil in several days, especially in hot weather.... fried bacon will keep longer, mine kept four days with no real change.

Some have said to partially cook bacon before going camping to help it keep, I haven't tried this... you could test for how long it could keep by simply leaving some out and seeing how long it takes to become green and furry. Flies in the kitchen and dead bodies lying around are probably a sign that the bacon's no longer good to eat.

The salamis, pepperonis, etc. hanging at room temp in delis are long-keeping in hot weather, after the bacon's all gone. These can be fried for crispy flavor, may be bacon-like.

PostPosted: June 28th, 2010, 10:34 am 

wrap your bacon in cheese cloth soaked it in vinegar. It will keep much longer - we have had it at the end of a 2 week trip

PostPosted: June 28th, 2010, 11:05 am 

There's also Maple Leaf pre-cooked bacon... keeps without refrigeration.

http://www.mapleleaf.com/en/market/butc ... con-slices

PostPosted: June 28th, 2010, 11:08 am 

Holey moley thats a lot of food.

The bagels are bulky and will mold in one week.

Try wraps instead.

No other comment except I cannot imagine carrying light bulky cereals. They will turn to dust.

How much volume is this? Most soloists pack a 30 liter barrel for two weeks.

Hard boiled eggs are heavy and a treat but 12 of them? I consume any within one day..and believe me thats pushing it without refrigeration.

You are asking for bacteria to come play.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/eggs2.htm

PostPosted: June 28th, 2010, 5:13 pm 

Quote:
There's also Maple Leaf pre-cooked bacon... keeps without refrigeration.

That's what I use, not as good as a high quality double smoked bacon but the stuff is light, keeps for months, produces much less fat in the pan (but still give you plenty of pork fat taste).

I normally plan for at least one "breakfast for dinner" each week. A package of dehydrated eggs/omelet and a package of pre-cooked bacon split between two people makes a nice meal.

Quote:
Try wraps instead.

Yup, I've tested, 4 weeks down the river and then 6 months sitting on a shelf in the kitchen, they get a bit dry and crumbly around the edges but not a single spot of mould. Not sure what they put in them........bagels on the other hand either turn into hockey pucks or furry green blobs (same goes for Pita bread).

PostPosted: June 29th, 2010, 9:37 am 

We use wraps too, but often simply buy the non-refrigerated tortillas sold in the mexican section of the ethnic fool aisle for some additional carbs. My biggest issue is keeping them from getting too beat up from barrel rooters... I fit into the category too. I need to figure out a good way to keep them isolated from the rest of the food.

PK

PostPosted: June 29th, 2010, 11:23 am 
CCR Moderator & Assistant Administrator

Many years ago 4 of us did a 17-day late August trip in Quebec (Region around Parent) and being extremely poor students at the time we opted for legumes such as kidney beans and black beans as a primary protein source. Soya beans have the most protein but take too long to cook. We also consulted Francis Moore-Lappé's book, Diet for a Small Planet on how to complement beans with rice etc. for better usable protein yields).

We carried several one-liter water bottles and pre-soaked the beans for 24 hours. By using various flavor packets and spices we felt like we ate like kings. We also varied things a bit by carrying a few cans of chicken and a huge chunk of parmesan chesse (that was given to us poor students).

The cooking of the leguminous suppers required more time but there were 4 of us and we took turns being in charge of cooking supper. All of our food was cooked over a fire.

As for bacon, we went to a European type deli and bought a big slab of it. We sliced off what we wanted for breakfast. It kept remarkably well. I have done pre-cooked bacon on short trips in order to reduce cooking time and fuel and to keep the residual bear bait to a minimum. It works very well, (especially in winter when the bears are snoring.)

Heavy, dark rye and pumpernickel breads with thick coatings of sunflower or peanut butter worked great for lunches.

Freshly sprouted mung and alfalfa in yet more water bottles with mesh over the mouth for rinsing and aeration was a nice treat. I'm sure it prevented scurvy too. :D

PostPosted: June 29th, 2010, 11:28 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

Hiker Neil wrote:
I'm sure it prevented scurvy too. :D

Scott's got that covered:
scottadventure wrote:
Good advice on the Adsinthe
Can you get stronger rum in QC as well?

:thumbup: