View topic - keeping butter from freezing

It is currently March 19th, 2024, 2:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: October 24th, 2010, 8:00 pm 

I'm going camping this weekend and would like to bring some butter to spread on bread at breakfast. Is there a way to keep it reasonably soft overnight so that it can be used in the morning (aside from softening it over heat at breakfast)?

PostPosted: October 24th, 2010, 9:34 pm 

Put it in a container with a tight fitting lid.

Sleep with it.

Thats how you make dough rise at way below zero. :rofl:

edit..both are true stories from AMC winter outings. One time we had a manager from Dunkin Donuts. He lugged up lots of oil (11 km and 1000 feet up on skis) and the flour and yeast. Though there was a propane stove at the hut he noted that at three am the dough in the oven was unresponsive. Only the pilot light was lit and it was below zero in the kitchen (wood stove heat). He wrapped the dough in plastic and took it to bed . Happy dough rose.

We took our cream cheese to bed as we didnt want to deal with a rock in the am..

Last edited by littleredcanoe on October 24th, 2010, 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: October 24th, 2010, 10:59 pm 

I've not tried this yet but I would slice butter 1/2" thick and place in a snack size ziploc. In the morning place the ziploc in a chest pocket of my fleece jacket before any other preparations for breakfast were started. Body warmth should thaw it out in time.

PostPosted: October 25th, 2010, 9:13 am 

Just for clarity,

Once the bears are hunkered down for the winter, food in your sleeping bag shouldn't be an issue, but this weekend seems kinda premature.

PostPosted: October 25th, 2010, 10:15 am 

That's true(I already had put the bears to bed)..and its not going to be bitter cold during the day.

You can stash it in your food barrel and wrap in newspaper and perhaps put the entire bundle in an insulated lunch box. Insulation keeps cold out as much as in. They used to insulate houses with newspapers.

PostPosted: October 25th, 2010, 10:34 am 

... or tuck a pinch of butter in your cheek (like chewin' tabaki) and dispense the desired amount with each bite of bread. :rofl:

PostPosted: October 25th, 2010, 12:50 pm 

All great suggestions, thank you. There are no bears where I'm going.

PostPosted: October 30th, 2010, 4:26 pm 

You can try this; soften a pound of butter and cream it with an equal part of olive oil. It ends up being spreadable, good tasting and healthier. Also good for cooking. We call it "better butter".