View topic - St John River First St John Bridge to St Francis

It is currently November 15th, 2019, 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 12th, 2011, 11:38 am 

We planned to run the St. John the first week of May. But it ran upwards of 70K cfs right before we were leaving so we scrambled, regrouped, and ran the next week.
The Dicky Bridge guage showed 17K cfs When we got to First St John Bridge on Sunday and 9K cfs when we took out at Pelletiers in St Francis on Friday. Those of who had been there before thought that many of the good rapids were washed out. Big Black and Big Rapids were not washed out but there were fairly easy sneak routes. We did 25+ mile days without trying too hard or putting in many hours so the current must have been pretty good.
Pictures with comments are here.
https://picasaweb.google.com/TommyC1Tay ... y15212011#
I recomend either watching the slideshow or clicking the Full Size button.

PostPosted: August 1st, 2011, 4:10 pm 

Tommy,

I thought that was an excellent slide show. I've done sections of the St. John 3 times. I think early to mid May is the best time to run it. No bugs. Plenty of water. I am surprised that Big Rapids was, evidently, easily runable at 9K cfs.

Also, this river is a high volume roller coaster if there is more than 3-4K cfs at the Dicky gate. Info is on line. All one needs to do is keep the canoe straight and you will travel an amazing distance during the day.

Frankr

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2011, 11:27 am 

Nice pictures... I've paddled with Marshall on local Central Mass. AMC day trips. He inspired me, in fact, to learn how to pole after I saw him on the Ware R. and in the Gr. Swamp of RI. (I was a newbie. "Why is that guy standing up like that?!")

Mike

"A dead thing can go with the stream. But only a living thing can go against it." G.K. Chesterton