View topic - Cold Cuts

It is currently October 19th, 2020, 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cold Cuts
PostPosted: September 19th, 2011, 12:51 pm 

Hey,

A group of us are going to the magnetawan on Friday for a few days. One member would like to bring cold cuts and cheese. I read up on the cheese but does anyone have any tips on best practices to keep these meats safe for a couple 2-3 day max?

I thought we could probably swing bringing a small soft side cooler bag that fits in the food barrel and could store on an ice pack?

Post subject: Re: Cold Cuts
PostPosted: September 19th, 2011, 1:05 pm 

We bring deli meat unrefridgerated on 5-7 day summer canoe trips without any adverse effects. Deli meat is still in its "factory" sealed package. Turkey is good for the first days with hams, summer sausage, and salamis for later in the trip. Dried salami is good for much longer. Once we open a package, we eat the whole thing during that meal. So 2-3 days in the fall should be no problem.

PostPosted: September 19th, 2011, 2:26 pm 

In early spring I don't get too worried about lunch meat lasting. Surprised to hear about going up to a week in summer although I do agree the salami's will last longer.

Soft cooler bag, start off with everything but day 1 frozen and I agree you'll be fine. I generally find that the cooler packs don't last more than a day or so and tend to go with extra ice in a ziploc if needed. One benefit that way is that when the ice melts the volume and weight go down too.

For alternatives you can consider jerky or pepperoni's that are preserved to not need refridgeration in the first place. We also use PB&J a lot.

PostPosted: September 19th, 2011, 2:39 pm 

Thanks guys, I like the ice a ziplock bag way better than lugging an ice pack around. Once its gone so is the weight and space.

yeah I normally do alot of PB&J as well. He wanted to bring cold cuts which was new to me, I just want to make sure we do it safe. I need to talk to him tonight, cause I really hope he is not planning on trying to bring all the condiments to go with. Its the first time he has come with us and is pretty new to canoe tripping.

PostPosted: September 19th, 2011, 3:24 pm 

At the very least get the meat whole and slice as needed.

Not sure where you are but ideally get your bud to find an old school Italian or Eastern European deli and pick up a chub of preference that's been dry cured.

If he wants organically fed free range heirloom stock shaved turkey breast......tell him he gets to carry the food pack. :lol:

PostPosted: September 19th, 2011, 3:34 pm 

Well he is right by St.Jacobs market so I am sure he can find some good stuff.
haha, he is the biggest guy on the trip maybe so making him full time food pack carrier is not a bad idea :)

PostPosted: September 19th, 2011, 7:33 pm 

You don't need the ice. Wrap the packaged meat in the same wet towel as the cheese and stuff in the soft side cooler. Use the whole package at each meal..opened leftovers are not a great idea.

PostPosted: September 19th, 2011, 9:55 pm 

Yep...we take cold cuts for 5-6 days... sealed at the packers...once opened, eat the whole thing. Never a problem.

Cloth bag summer sausage is also great... so much salt, that it is fine to eat days after opening the cloth bag....

"The way of a canoe is the way of the wilderness, and of a freedom almost forgotten." Sigurd Olson, 1956

PostPosted: September 20th, 2011, 7:34 am 

Thanks guys... I have communicated these tips onto the group