View topic - Adirondak Park Video

It is currently December 8th, 2019, 8:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Adirondak Park Video
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2014, 9:26 pm 

This past June, my son Brad and I headed to Upstate New York and set out on a 5 day, 115km loop through the William C. Whitney Wilderness Area located in Adirondack Park. This scenic park reminds me very much of Ontario paddling with the added bonus of mountain trails to explore. We've put together a video highlighting our trek. Please have a look:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzBkQs7NOR4&list=UUpsDOHysPzrBhn8S7zJ8f4w
Cheers
Wayne

Post subject: Re: Adirondak Park Video
PostPosted: September 4th, 2014, 7:01 am 

Nice video, and a good overview of this beautiful area. Your trek was where I spend considerable time and have gone at least a couple of times each year for more than 25 years. So I could pretty well identify the exact location of every scene in your video. I am an instructor in an annual wilderness guide training program, and this is where we take students to put them to the test for the their outdoor leadership evaluation and certification.

It's funny, though your description is very good and I have no major critiques, when you are familiar with such an area the minor details will stick out. You began your trip in the Wm. C. Whitney Wilderness Area, but that only includes Little Tupper and Lake Lila (Lila is pronounced with a long "i"). Beyond your railroad carry, you then entered the Five Ponds Wilderness encompassing Lows Lake, thence into the Round Lake Wilderness for the extensive carry along the rushing river back to complete the loop.

You are correct with the designated camp site descriptions, and I am glad that you pointed out the yellow "camp here" disks. But in fact, in most of the wild areas of the Adirondacks, with few exceptions, you are indeed allowed to camp anywhere, subject to the 150 foot rule that you mentioned.

There is so much more to the Adirondacks in the almost 3 million acres of pubic lands, but I am glad that you focused with a delightful trip to one of many of my favorite canoe areas.

PostPosted: September 4th, 2014, 8:19 pm 

Hey nessmuk, Glad you enjoyed the video, and thanks for the clarification. We really enjoyed our time there, and hope to head back to the Adirondacks to explore new routes.

PostPosted: September 4th, 2014, 9:24 pm 

Loved the video of an area I really enjoy. Camping is free! I'm not so fond of the Harrington-Clear railroad tracks. The spacing of the ties does not fit my stride.

Some of us CCRs will be on Lows the week after Canadian Thanksgiving. This means if you see a canoe feel free to pull in for a cuppa.

For those of you with the maple leaf head, consider going south if you have just a weekend to spare. Or longer. The Adirondacks are more boreal than Algonquin due to a greater base elevation. Height matters sometimes.

PostPosted: September 4th, 2014, 9:54 pm 

Excellent video and introduction to the area. Really enjoyed it!

PostPosted: November 30th, 2015, 11:16 am 

Great video and instruction to the area. I'm strongly considering this route for a trip next summer. Do you know where I could get my hands on a canoe routes map of this area?

Thank you