View topic - Killarney with the little guy

It is currently December 5th, 2019, 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 8th, 2016, 5:14 am 

Thanks for the information regarding the heater, we have one of those propane catalytic heaters i think i may take just in case although with this years weather who knows... after reading and thinking it through we are not going to go with any expectations in mind (except to stay both nights lol) and we'll go from there, i saw online a couple days ago that the ski trails aren't even open yet so who knows what our trip will bring.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2016, 11:27 am 

The catalytic heaters are dangerous in an enclosed space. They are supposed to convert CO to CO2 through the use of the catalytic surface on the heater. But they still emit some CO, and if the catalyst is not in perfect condition, and clean, then the CO emission will rise. Plus, they burn the oxygen in that enclosed space, and reduce the percentage available for breathing.

Anything which burns a hydrocarbon needs a chimney.

Hemoglobin will pick up CO better, easier, and quicker, than O2. Wiki: "The affinity between hemoglobin and carbon monoxide is approximately 230 times stronger than the affinity between hemoglobin and oxygen so hemoglobin binds to carbon monoxide in preference to oxygen."

Falling asleep in a sealed-up yurt with a catalytic heater going could be mortal.

Dave

PostPosted: January 19th, 2016, 9:13 am 

interesting, I always wondered even though the box says that it is safe for tents.... we have used it in the past in our 4 man 4 season tent only, usually for a bit at night and in the morning when we are getting changed and settled in or waking up... we have warm winter bags so having a heater is more of a luxury than necessary. Its getting close pretty excited to get out even if its for a couple days....

anyone been to killarney in the last week or so ? how's much sow is there ? the trail conditions for the ski trails that are online don't look promising?

PostPosted: January 19th, 2016, 12:29 pm 

Haven't been there myself... 30 cm, deep enough to ski on...

https://www.ontarioparks.com/skireport/detail/killarney

PostPosted: January 31st, 2016, 5:13 pm 

Hey guys so thanks for all the advice, we got up and back in one piece. And for the most part had a great time, our little guy loves sled rides it turns out... We ended up renting snowshoes and doing the cranberry bog trail it was good to see its not something we would do in the summer time on our own due to its length so it was a good experince, little guy had a meltdown just before the campground road but he got over it quickly when we got back to the yurt and about an hour later he wanted to go out again, I made it to the parking lot with him on the sled before he fell asleep on the sled lol. All in all a good experience, would definately change a few things but would do it again !!