View topic - Tom Thomson at Achray in 1916

It is currently October 19th, 2019, 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2016, 3:24 pm 

It has been almost 100 years since Tom Thomson began his fire ranging duties and moved into the Out-Side-In at Achray in late May / early June 1916. This was his last full summer in the Park and I believe one of his most productive.

For many years, my wife Diana and I have been interested in Thomson and his work. Several years ago this interest evolved into a project to commemorate the 100th anniversary of his time at Achray. Our goal was to match his paintings from that year with the actual locations where he did them. In the process we have had the opportunity to visit (and re-visit) many wonderful places on the east side of the Park, to sit in some of the spots where Thomson sat and to enjoy some of the views he saw, though their appearance has changed since his time due to forest growth.

The results (so far) of all this effort are now documented on our web page: http://www.mcelroy.ca/tom-thomson/ As we mention in the text, it is an on-going project, so things may be added or modified as time goes on.

Bob M

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2016, 3:45 pm 

Congratulations Diana and Bob.
Everyone with an interest in Tom Thomson (ie most Canadians) should look at your site.
Fantastic.
:clap:

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2016, 4:32 pm 

What a great project! Too bad the line-up for the KW Canoe Symposium is set for this year..... Maybe you could come talk about this next April?

"The way of a canoe is the way of the wilderness, and of a freedom almost forgotten." Sigurd Olson, 1956

PostPosted: July 6th, 2016, 12:11 pm 

Bob and I will be giving a presentation to mark Tom Thomson's stay at Achray 100 years ago this summer.

The talk will be at Achray, in the Achray theatre, on Tuesday, July 19th at 7:00pm.
More details on the Park's events calendar http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/involved ... 0719#/?i=1 or check out our Bushlog page on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/mcelroys.bushlog.

If anyone's in the neighbourhood that day, we'd love to see you there.

Cheers,
Diana

P.S. Watersong - we'd be willing to consider the KWCS next year, though it would be kind of a long drive for us. Contact us with some details if you want to try to set something up.