View topic - Outback Oven

It is currently August 23rd, 2019, 12:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Outback Oven
PostPosted: August 17th, 2016, 6:30 pm 

Following up on the joys of baking. On our recent La Vérendrye-Coulonge River 2-weeker, my son and I experimented with the Outback Oven. This is a segue from a thread under "Equipment" dealing with single-burner stoves. Peanut butter cookies that came out like one big happy cake, but were a welcome dessert with tea. Choc chip cookies. Bacon-bit impregnated Scottish Rowees (rowees are an Aberdeen breakfast staple that has been closely linked to hardening of the arteries, heart attacks, strokes, and spontaneous orgasms). Sorry. Only Aberdonians ever get emotional about "butteries", "morning rolls", AKA "rowees". Cousins of the French fougasse. Meaningless esoteric blah-blah to the uninitiated, but a reason to get up in the morning for some Scots. A bit like moose hunting for a significant segment of the male Quebecois population. Rowees are NOT bannock, which we also baked, but are hit-or-miss products of yeast, flour, sugar, salt, lard, and butter.
Anyway, Brian has described what a heat shield might look like, so we'll give the Outback Oven atop the Coleman single-burner another shot. Normally, my baking is done in a teflon-coated frypan over flameless coals. I cover the pan with a light alum. plate which I cover in hot coals and embers. I play a guessing game not unlike roulette, as premature checking on the baking progress entails re-building the fragile coals/embers Dutch-ovenesque project. Fun, though. And when it's good, it's very very good. But when it's bad, it's rather black.

Post subject: Re: Outback Oven
PostPosted: August 17th, 2016, 8:26 pm 

I can't say that I use mine that much, but I frequently consider bringing it before heading out on trips.

I've had some decent bread out of it, but usually had to chip off the bottom centimetre-or-so of blackened bottom. (Even with a "scorch buster" attachment.)

And I once made a giant cookie in it that my friend described as "the best cookie she ever ate." I think that the secret was I made it from a mix and instead of using water & margarine as the instructions called for, I just used extra margarine until the mix was the right consistency.

PostPosted: August 18th, 2016, 4:11 pm 

I used mine this summer to make muffins. The muffin batter was spooned into silicone muffin cups and it worked very well. Sometimes when baking I use parchment discs that I cut to size at home and pack with the stove.

Although some stuff has been overdone, I don't think I've ever blackened the bottom of anything I was baking. I use the MSR whisperlite stove and it's notorious for being challenging to simmer. Even with that hot stove I do more than OK with the Outback Oven and it goes on most of my trips.

Cakes, bannock, cookies, muffins, loafs - it's all come out pretty good. Nothing better than fresh baking on a camping trip.

Cheers,
Bryan

PostPosted: August 18th, 2016, 4:21 pm 

Martin, maybe I'll have to learn some Scottish baking tips from you in order to reconnect with my partial Scottish heritage, especially when I eventually paddle the Coulonge River. My family are the Brysons that logged that part of the Ottawa Valley and were based out of Ft. Coulonge, where Bryson Manor is now a museum.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2016, 11:21 am 

We make deep dish pizza for the majority of our dinners in the outback oven.

The trick is to get a stove that burns very consistently.

I had to spring for a new single burner as my old white gas one required continuous monitoring. The new one with a butane cylinder can be set at just the right level to keep the needle between bake and burn, and 30 minutes later delicious crispy crust pizza comes out of the oven.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2016, 11:49 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

pawistik wrote:
Martin, maybe I'll have to learn some Scottish baking tips from you in order to reconnect with my partial Scottish heritage, especially when I eventually paddle the Coulonge River. My family are the Brysons that logged that part of the Ottawa Valley and were based out of Ft. Coulonge, where Bryson Manor is now a museum.

Apologies for wandering way off-topic...

Did you see the episode of "Still Standing" about Fort Coulonge (Season 2, episode 4):

http://www.cbc.ca/stillstanding/

http://watch.cbc.ca/still-standing/seas ... 116ed6901c

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2016, 11:54 am 

Thanks, Barbara. Jane at Sprucehome in Fort Coulonge recommended the film to us, but I'd forgotten. I believe she said her conference facility was featured in some way in the film. I'll definitely give it a watch.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2016, 4:03 pm 

There is a OO sale going on.
My OO is so old I cant tell the temp and the pot parka all ripped.

But they sell parts!

http://www.backpackerspantry.com/produc ... -oven.html

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2016, 4:34 pm 

Barbara wrote:
Did you see the episode of "Still Standing" about Fort Coulonge (Season 2, episode 4):

http://www.cbc.ca/stillstanding/

http://watch.cbc.ca/still-standing/seas ... 116ed6901c

Thanks for that. I did see it actually, our family watched it at my aunt's house during our summer travels.
Cheers,
Bryan

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2016, 8:44 pm 

An evil gremlin hijacked and liquidated a response I wrote to Bryan and sbaillie earlier today. I'd said something like this: Bryan, I enjoyed staying at Sprucehome, a B'n'B/restaurant/conference centre in a Bryson heritage home run by Jane, a great great grandaughter of the logging baron himself. A nice place to stay before or after a Coulonge River trip. Sbaillie, my son has become a stovetop pizza chef. Love when someone else makes the dinner, and gives me a break from sweating and fretting over smoky coals and pernickety stoves. Pizza is a staple for us. BTW, I like the look of the fly on your name-thing. I noticed you're in Eganville. What a great location for access to wonderful canoe trips! I noticed that the program mentioned by Barbara, "Still Standing", has also done an episode on Eganville. I'll have a look at that one, too. Just watched the Fort Coulonge show. Interesting to see people and places that we'd just recently encountered on our trip.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2016, 7:57 am 

The Eganville episode of still standing was a huge success locally; it is certainly a nice little town with lots of interesting places to see.

As for a great location; you are absolutely right! I can be at the Algonquin East gate in an hour. The Brent road is just over 2.5 hours. Even the river through town is a gorgeous day paddle. Its also cottage country with countless lakes to explore and fish in the canoe.

For bigger trips Temagami and Verendrye are only a few hours drive. I can't understand how I'm expected to go to work everyday with all these canoe trips I should be doing!

On the flip side It's only 1.5 hours to Ottawa if I need to stock up on items for a trip (as I may have to do today for an upcoming week long trip next week).

On the outback oven; one thing I may do is get a second base pan, as I like to have the second pizza ready to go in the oven when the first one comes out.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2016, 10:31 am 

sbaillie wrote:
On the outback oven; one thing I may do is get a second base pan, as I like to have the second pizza ready to go in the oven when the first one comes out.

It seems to me that the second pizza could be prepared on a sheet of parchment then slipped into the bake-pan as soon as the finished one is slipped out. A bunch of parchment circles are a lot lighter and cheaper than a 2nd pan.
Bryan