View topic - Ready For June Tripping - The Eureka NoBugZone Arrived!

It is currently October 20th, 2019, 10:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 5th, 2017, 8:16 pm 

Have always avoided canoe trips before July because of the bug factor...but this June we'll be paddling NW of Chapleau. Just bought my first ever bug shelter - the new-for-2017 Eureka NoBugZone. While we're hoping the bugs won't be that bad, it will be nice to have along just in case.

The write-up on the NoBugZone says this -

This lightweight & compact bug shelter is a lighter version of the VCS system. Ideal for canoe trips, group backpacking, backyard and cottage.

Total weight is 5.5 lbs. and the combination of tarp and no see'um mesh provides lots of bug-free space. We will give it a treatment of permethrin before we go for added effectiveness. If you're interested in more info the following webpage has what you're looking for -

http://www.eurekatentscanada.com/produc ... =section_4

Oddly, the product - and all the bug shelters in general - are only offered by Johnson Outdoors Canada Inc. Go to the US website and you will not find any mention of it or the other VCS system items. Strange!

I got mine from Up The Nipissing, an Ancaster-based storefront and online outfitters. I ordered it yesterday at 11:00 a.m. and had it in my hands in Toronto this afternoon at 3:00. Amazing service. Cost - $150. + tax and free shipping.

https://upthenipissing.ca/collections/s ... cs-13-tarp

I did check out some other suppliers - Scouttech Outfitters has it listed at $175. with no info on shipping. Tent City Outiftters has it listed at $140. but no info on their website about shipping charges and no response to my two phone calls.

BTW - to no surprise the bug shelter is Made In China!

Now the two-month wait before we do some actual product testing!

Last edited by true_north on April 7th, 2017, 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 5th, 2017, 8:46 pm 

Where do you buy your permethrin? Thanks Steve

PostPosted: April 5th, 2017, 8:52 pm 

Nice rig! Just a reminder that permethrin is EXTREMELY neurotoxic to cats...even through skin exposure.

PostPosted: April 5th, 2017, 9:10 pm 

Nice rig indeed. BTW that is not me standing inside the shelter - that's Jim Stevens of Johnson Canada!

Any comment on how this set-up compares to other options out there?

I'll admit I didn't do a lot of comparison shopping because this set up seems perfect and pretty inexpensive for what you get - a tarp and a 9' x 9' bug-free space.

I'll set it up in the backyard in late may to spray it - and not to worry, we'll look out for the neighbourhood cats while it dries!

Re: permethrin source. We get the Sawyer product when my bro travels to Ohio. You can also use farm grade stuff and dilute it. We've done that too.

https://www.amazon.com/Products-Premium ... B01M4KFZME

We've been treating our clothing for the past five years - and applied some to the tent and tarp last summer. Don't really want to reopen this big debate but ...it works and it's safe! See this thread from last year!

http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtop ... permethrin

PostPosted: April 6th, 2017, 10:25 am 

Thanks. I have a 13. I liked it in that it was good for 2 people and not to big for some tight sites. Best part which is a bummer for the future...You had the choice of net or no net. The other big plus was you could set up tarp and with the one foot ties adjust the mesh height in different spots to match curvy terrain. Not sure if the new style has such suave elegance. Stops bugs the same I'm sure but suave is nice :) We drop bits and pieces of gear around the inner fabric edge to keep it down especially on rock I mean Ontario(there soil somewhere isn't there? in canoeland). We open the ends overnight as chipmonks smart enough to get in but dumb enough not to get out and climb mesh freak out and such. Not every time but couple times a year.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2017, 10:49 am 

I'll never leave home without the VCS again!

Would be nice to have a slightly lighter one though.

I highly suggest the aluminum poles as well, they weigh very little, allow you to setup on rock and can also double as a sailing mast!

Attachments:
IMG_0869.JPG
IMG_0869.JPG [ 204.11 KiB | Viewed 4592 times ]
Sailingsm.jpg
Sailingsm.jpg [ 47.9 KiB | Viewed 4592 times ]

PostPosted: April 6th, 2017, 11:52 am 

I love my VCS 16. As Steve of London mention, the adjustability of the separate bug net is a big plus on slightly uneven ground. You may find one side has a bit extra mesh on the ground in order to get rid of gaps on the other. Losing a bit of extra weight is a nice bonus to having them attached.

Paul

PostPosted: April 6th, 2017, 12:12 pm 

Given all the comments above, I may have been okay with just the VCS 13 meshroom and tarp combo that Steve.of.London has. It would have saved a pound and we would be able to use the tarp on its own. We'll see how flexible The NoBugZone is. In terms of footprint it is just a bit bigger than the VCS16.

I made a comparison of the various Eureka choices and here is how they stack up in terms of weight and price -

NoBugZone 5.5 lbs. about $150. It has a bit more space than the VCS 16 combo but weighs two pounds less. It is also 25-30% less expensive!

VCS 13 Combo

VCS Tarp 13 2.5 lbs between $70. and $80.
Mesh VCS 13 2 lbs. between $120. and $140
4.5 lbs between $190.+ shipping? and $ 198 with free shipping

The VCS 13 system compared to the NoBugZone …1 lb. lighter; $40. more expensive; about 20% less roomy; tarp is detachable from the mesh room so can be used on its own

VCS 16 Combo

VCS Tarp 16 4.5 lbs. between $80. and $100.
Mesh VCS 16 3 lbs. between$128. and$145.
7.5 lbs. between $208.- $221. with the latter having free shipping

The VCS 16 compared to the NoBugZone: 2 lbs. heavier; has almost the same amount of space; tarp is detachable from the mesh room.

You got some happy campers there, sbaillie!

Last edited by true_north on April 7th, 2017, 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2017, 2:29 pm 

Whichever version is available and not pricey for a game changer respite from our little friends.

Last edited by steve.of.london on April 9th, 2017, 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2017, 7:43 pm 

i have the same bug shelter, i got mine at "sail" in oshawa $148.00, last month

PostPosted: April 6th, 2017, 8:54 pm 

scoutshop.ca might have mis-priced them at $125. No free shipping though.

Hope it's the same product.
https://www.scoutshop.ca/Item?item=083826997518

PostPosted: April 7th, 2017, 7:00 am 

Hmmm...I wish I had known the Nobugzone was going to be available before I bought a VCS16 combo earlier this winter! It looks like it may be a better compromise for my needs. Oh well, a couple extra pounds won't kill me.

PostPosted: April 26th, 2017, 2:44 am 

Love my VCS-16/bug shelter, never bought poles ( you can make them at site if necessary). FYI, I carry a full 50ft length of Para cord for the ridge Line, use a prusik knot at each end w/ carbiner to secure and move tarp along the ridge to desired location, leave ropes attached but bundled when transporting.
Happy Paddling.

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2017, 12:44 pm 

So how'd the Chapleau trip go? I've since read one interesting feature is the double zipper so you can have it hug around a hammock hung inside it. That could be a plus. Cya Steve

PostPosted: October 7th, 2017, 6:39 pm 

Steve, the Chapleau trip was a memorable one. It did rain a bit much and the 2:30 a.m. visit on Day 2 from the 2-man SAR team from CFB Trenton who rapelled down to our campsite from a hovering helicopter was a bit of a shock. We were also surprised by how little wildlife we saw given that we were in the renowned Chapleau Crown Game Preserve - just two bear and 1 moose in ten days.

On the plus side we finally got to paddle down the entire Little Missinaibi River system from Windermere Lake and spent time at a number of pictograph sites.

https://albinger.me/2017/07/06/canoeing ... hill-lake/

As for the The Eureka NoBugZone - it was fantastic. At 5.5 lbs. it just added another three pounds to the usual tarp we take - and it added a whole extra level of usefulness and comfort.

It provided a 9’ x 9’ bug free space that we enjoyed the four times over ten days that we put it up. We like how the tarp and the mesh are integrated; it served well as a rain shelter. My brother Max who is 6'5" likes that he can stand up in it! Here is a shot of the tarp up on an island in Crooked Lake just to the east of Missinaibi. It was our last and most succesful effort!

We put it up using the rope method - the rope was threaded through the three loops on top of the tarp and then each end was tied to a tree at about an 8’ height. Pegging the sides and putting logs or rocks on the inside 1’ skirt sealed the bug shelter/tarp nicely.

The bugs were actually not all that bad for June! We were still glad to have brought it along. It is definitely a worthwhile investment and will be coming along on future trips.