View topic - Wawagigamau (Yesterday) River

It is currently December 6th, 2019, 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2017, 5:43 am 

Any questions or comments about my Yesterday River trip report?
http://www.myccr.com/canoeroutes/wawagi ... rday-river

Since filing the report, I have learned that the river was likely paddled by a group from St. Lawrence University in upstate New York in 2005. We did pass a wrecked aluminum canoe up on shore somewhere downstream of Waskotim Falls. Likely it was pinned in a rapid and abandoned, then floated free in the spring freshet.

Sorry that the photos are not in chronological order.

Feel free to send a PM.

Last edited by Curly on July 3rd, 2017, 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2017, 6:38 am 

Thanks for the report . I've never been there but it brought back memories of some bushwacking portages we have encountered in some of our trips and then the great satisfaction of getting the canoe into some paddleable water . scouter Joe

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2017, 4:20 pm 

Great report on a mystery river, spectacular scenery I was impressed. Maybe you could shed light on wither or not brook trout reside in the yesterday? My dad thought he seen a Red Fisher show taped on the yesterday back in the 60's featuring Brookies but he couldn't be sure.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2017, 5:43 pm 

Fantastic trip report Curly! The Yesterday River looks beautiful. I spoke to Sheldon several years ago and he said nothing but good things about it. Your overland bushwhacking sounds like a miserable challenge but I bet you felt rewarded when you finally made it to the Yesterday. Very nice pictures. I had a float plane booked to fly into the headwaters this past spring but had to pull out due to health problems. I am glad to hear your trip was a success!!

You mentioned the other paddler that Terry shuttled. Terry shuttled me a few weeks ago for my Ivanhoe trip and he said he had shuttled a fellow to the Upper Kesagami River. Apparently he portaged into the Partridge River, dumped badly in a sweeper, had some sort of bear encounter and got flown out.

Excellent report Curly and sounds like it was one heck of an adventure!!!

Sam

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2017, 7:04 am 

Sam, now you don't have to spend all your hard-earned money on a floatplane. We thought of you and Ben often, and how you could very well be the next people to follow our footsteps. Either that or use the upland route to get to the North French, which now I'm itching to do.

We heard from Bud that the fellow Terry shuttled on our start date (a solo tripper to the Wakwayowkastic) ran into some trouble and had to be evacuated. The story was 3rd hand, but I gather that he dumped and was injured. Wonder if that's the same person you mention and the rivers are mixed up?

Jmeyer, others mention catching brook trout from Waskotim Falls downstream. But we had no luck with trout or walleye for that matter. Just a couple pike in the lakes and the "world's biggest minnow" at Boulé. High water or maybe too early in the season?

[Edit: I have added an annotated map of the Skate Lake to Wildlands Lake portage to the downloads section of the trip report.]

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2017, 2:38 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

Fantastic report and an amazing looking trip! Thanks for sharing this.

PostPosted: March 25th, 2019, 3:20 pm 

Anyone have an e-mail address for Terry O'Neil? Looking to do a river out of Cochrane this summer and need a shuttle.

thanks,
rab

PostPosted: March 25th, 2019, 5:56 pm 

Terry isn't doing shuttles anymore.

There is another person in the area who may be available. Info was posted on the site last year but I can't find it. I'll try to ping Sam82 because I think he knows.

PostPosted: March 25th, 2019, 6:53 pm 

Ok, thanks.

rab

PostPosted: March 26th, 2019, 6:08 pm 

I’m sorry Rab, I actually don’t have a contact. It’s a complete drag that Terry is no longer doing shuttles but also understandable as he is getting up there in years. Would be great if someone stepped up to offer shuttles in the area. You could maybe try air Cochrane and see what they have to say...?

PostPosted: April 7th, 2019, 5:32 pm 

That's a great trip and nice report. Nice