View topic - WINTER STORAGE FOR CANOE

It is currently July 17th, 2019, 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: WINTER STORAGE FOR CANOE
PostPosted: September 15th, 2017, 9:17 pm 

I have to store my canoe outdoors and i have been thinking about building some kind of canoe cart to fit under the back of my house its like a crawl space under a deck for the winter months . i dont know if it would be ok for a canoe to be stored upright on a cart for over the winter or it should be upside down on a cart my canoe is a nova craft prospector in tuff stuff

PostPosted: September 15th, 2017, 10:01 pm 

I saw a Youtube video showing that Souris River hangs their canoe vertically for storage.

PostPosted: September 16th, 2017, 8:27 am 

Right side up and you'll collect water and snow dribbling down.. Upside down way better. Check that the mice do not move in. While the hull would be fine its a PITA to find your seat material eaten and used for a nest.
If its a crawl space make sure that it is well ventilated. Remember critters may like your crawl space too. You don't specify the height of the space.. Mine is about two feet and everything overwinters there...chipmunks mice and squirrels Elevating the canoe on lumber upside down works too. Not under the deck, You can cover it but need to allow a little headspace for air circulation between hull and cover.

PostPosted: September 16th, 2017, 3:04 pm 

RLC, you seem to have a lot of... very detailed... information about critters and canoes. And everything else :) good points!

PostPosted: September 17th, 2017, 9:02 am 

When we added a second canoe to our collection we bit the bullet and bought one of those Canadian tire greenhouse type tarp garages and set it in the back yard. It was cheaper than most anything I could build from materials at only $350 and provides full protection plus additional storage and I can even get a 3rd canoe in there. Might not be for the folks who have super landscaped backyards full of statues peeing fountain water into their koi ponds, but it works great for us!

PostPosted: September 17th, 2017, 12:46 pm 

kgd wrote:
. Might not be for the folks who have super landscaped backyards full of statues peeing fountain water into their koi ponds, but it works great for us!

Quite!! :D :lol: :D

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.