View topic - It may soon be legal to drink and paddle.

It is currently July 22nd, 2019, 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: September 28th, 2017, 9:34 pm 

Here is a link to an article on the subject.

http://nationalpost.com/news/politics/canada-set-to-remove-drunk-canoeing-as-an-impaired-driving-offence

Personally, I am fine with this. I wondered about the grey area. You can get charged in a canoe but what about a raft? A dingy? An inflatable air mattress? Where is the line drawn?

So excluding muscle powered canoes from the (even remote) chance of getting an impaired charge makes sense to me.

-?-

Killarney Campsites - check it out... http://sites.google.com/site/killarneycampsites/Home

PostPosted: September 29th, 2017, 6:27 am 

You know I always thought it was against the law. But then I recently watched a Happy Camper video of him kayaking Haliburton drinking beers while kayak fishing. So my thoughts were "oh I guess it is legal" but now after reading this and a quick search on our laws it is infact illegal. So you can drink while riding a bike but can't paddle while under the influence ? I don't recommend either but......Oh Canada.......

PostPosted: September 29th, 2017, 7:54 am 

No one said it still would be legal. Just that the drunk driving offense would no longer be tied to your driving license. Here it is illegal to boat while intoxicated. No difference between canoe and rubber ducky. You can have for a first time offense jail time and a couple of thousand dollar fine. Your driving license was never involved here.
There was a boater that was convicted of OUI after running over another boat at night. He spent years in jail.