View topic - Prospector Tent Poles Measurements and PIMPING

It is currently November 14th, 2019, 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 11th, 2018, 1:10 pm 

I am sure this is not a very difficult question, and it's one that I am sure I could figure out on my own through an educated guess or trial and error, but I'll ask anyway...

I recently got myself a 10x12x5 wall tent. I haven't set it up yet (will have to prior to DF18) so I gotta go cut myself some poles. Any thoughts on these? From species of tree, live or dead, thickness, and lengths? Specifically the "cross poles" or "tri-pod poles", whatever they are called. And what kind of minimum width or thickness should the ridge pole be on 12 feet? Gonna also drape a tarp over it as well (which might add some weight) especially considering a snow load.

ANd any other thought or tips that I could use in terms of Pimping up a bit. Spruce bows, cots obviously, hanging lights, a wood stove shield of some kind (anyone have a fire blanket to sell or refer me to?).

I have seen some pretty good one at DFs, but could use some suggestions.

Thanks in advance, Andrew

PostPosted: January 12th, 2018, 7:11 am 

Hi Andrew I like to use spruce as it is fairly straight , strong and not nearly as sappy as balsam . For the ridge you need a long pole as your tent is 12 feet you add 2 feet or more to the back and 3 feet or so on the front . The rest 14 to 16 feet is good . The ridge should be 2 1/2 " on the small end and straight as possible .
On the floor use balsam bows as the needles are flat were the spruce go all the way around the branch ,don't lay flat and are quite picky . Heat shields are nice but the main thing is to not set the stove to close to the walls of the tent . Hope this helps . scouter Joe

PostPosted: January 12th, 2018, 1:06 pm 

Great tent for extreme ends of the fall and early spring camping.

We also throw a tarp over the top, reduces moisture/condensation absorption and gives nice lean to for keeping firewood and extra gear dry.

Attachments:
10 054b.jpg
10 054b.jpg [ 250.72 KiB | Viewed 2030 times ]

PostPosted: January 13th, 2018, 1:50 am 

I had large loops of nylon attached along the ridge line on mine.
I could run a pole through the loops or I could run a rope through and prussik out the ends.
This left me a nice separation between the fly and tent as the fly went over the pole and the tent hanged under.
The fly could also extend over the door(s) for a porch if needed.

I did sell this though and am now in a hot tipi.

PostPosted: January 15th, 2018, 11:06 am 

The five foot side walls might give you some trouble if you are planning on using the traditional 7 pole set-up. The reason most prospector tents have the three foot wall is because you can lash your side poles directly to the front and back poles. This usually doesn't work for five foot walls. Instead, you need to come up with something like this:

Or you could just make a ridge pole supported by your end poles and do the rope trick for the sides. You could ties them off to surrounding bushes, or run a long rope around the perimeter of the tent and tie the side ropes to that.

PostPosted: February 1st, 2018, 6:20 pm 

Thanks.
Question....would a welding blanket be a good heat shield?